Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

02-03-2013, 04:25 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 35 posts since Jan 2012
I've only done a few trades ever, yet I have received several discs that are copies-of-copies done by DVD recorder, rather than just doing a straight data copy of the necessary chapters using a computer drive and authoring a new disc with no generation loss.

Is this really a common thing for traders to be so technically clueless, or am I just unlucky?
  02-03-2013, 12:14 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 375 posts since Apr 2011
what you are talking about should NEVER EVER be done
  02-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Analog copies of DVDs should never be done.
(a) It's dumb.
(b) It loses quality, aka looks like ***.
(c) If it's anybody here, let me know who it is, so I can both teach them the right way as well as get on case.
  05-11-2013, 11:53 PM

Verified Member

I did another trade after I made this thread. Yup, same crap keeps following me.

Start of the video... the guy's DVD recorder doesn't have a very good comb filter either.

Windowboxing!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hate1.jpg (42.6 KB, 405 views)
File Type: jpg hate2.jpg (51.7 KB, 402 views)
  05-12-2013, 02:50 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 96 posts since Feb 2013
Wow, please let the powers that be know, if it is someone here, so none of us run into the same issue!

Sorry that happened to you!
  05-13-2013, 08:17 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I recall back in the day when I was first starting vhs to dvd transfers, my menues were weak at best. I didn't know the best software I was crude ith editing
For my own records, on my spreadsheet i had a notation such as "toshiba" or upgrade menu etc. It has been about the last 2 years I feel confident in my menu making, and I think in the last 2 years I have taken sets I got in that were poorly authored and redid them, titled/in order or whatever it needed. But some people are new to menu making, some new to transferring so it is important to have threads like these, as well as threads showing how to utilize new software.

If you have a set with a bad menu, chances are the person didn't know better. Or, someone better hasn't had time to remake it.

My first transfers from vhs to dvd, were horrid. Not only the quality, the editing out commercials, and the menues....
  05-19-2013, 07:53 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 165 posts since Feb 2010
One quick solution for people who have no tech knowledge is to simply do a drag-and-drop copy of the VIDEO_TS source DVD folder to the hard drive, then burn that directory to a blank. It only works for home-burned source DVDs but it really is that simple.
The following users thank Funnybook for this useful post: SavageAmusement (05-19-2013)
  05-31-2013, 04:30 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageAmusement View Post
If you have a set with a bad menu, chances are the person didn't know better. Or, someone better hasn't had time to remake it.
I don't care about the menus at all, but rather the re-compression upon re-compression.