Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

06-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
Recently I went to buy my sister a DVD recorder and I was surprised to find that they didn't have the jacks in the back for the in to tv out to antennae. To do the connection the person in the store said I would have to get an external tuner. I went to look for an external tuner and they don't seem to sell them anywhere around(funny since many stores including Walmart sell the recorders but you can't connect them to your tv without the external tuner). I called up Best Buy and they told me to go to their website. I asked someone at work and they said an external tuner is not guaranteed to work when you connect it.

I was thinking of looking for an old DVD recorder on ebay specifically with the in from ant out to tv jacks so I don't have to deal with this issue.

Any comments would be appreciated.
  06-13-2013, 10:39 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 86 posts since Nov 2009
Walmart (online) sells a few DVD recorders with a digital turner built in. I don't know if it would work with all TVs, but I have the ones below. One is hooked up to an older TV and the other is hooked up to a HDTV.

Magnavox HDD, DVR, and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner, 320GB
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-H...320GB/20710260

Magnavox HDD DVR and DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner, 500GB
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-H...ndingMethod=rr
  06-14-2013, 08:05 PM

Verified Member

So how do you connect it? I was thinking of getting a DVD Recorder/ VHS Combo so my sister could transer her tapes to disc and so she could record off tv (her Korean Dramas). Right now my dvd recorder combo is connected the old way and through my cable box w/ DVR. So I record through DVR and then later I can put it on disc.
  06-14-2013, 10:05 PM

Verified Member

I only have a basic cable cord. I've never used a cable box, so I'm not sure how it would hook up to that. I hook the cable cord to the DVD recorder antenna input. Then use the RCA cords to connect the DVD recorder to the TV, for my old TV. For the newer (HDTV) I use a HDMI cable.

I’m not sure if this helps any, but here’s a picture of the back with the connections.

06-16-2013, 02:15 PM

Verified Member

See that's the problem right there. If that's a picture of the back of your DVD recorder.

You have the in/out connections(antennae) on your DVD Recorder. The newer ones don't have that.

Thats where my problem lies.
  06-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Verified Member

I think it has to have a tuner built in to have the in/out antenna connections. The Magnavox series are the only ones I've been able to find with the tuner. I haven't seen any in stores though. I got mine through walmart.com
  06-16-2013, 06:30 PM

Verified Member

I've seen Magnavox without the in/out in stores and online. That's why I usually see if they have a picture with the back of the dvd recorder.

I'm from the old school of connecting two vcrs together to copy videotapes so this is a little too much homework for me

Someone suggested to me to have an old recorder connected to use the in/out and then use the jacks through that one.

I'll probably just get an old one online.

Thanks for the help.