Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

10-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
I recall my mom watching a soap opera and hearing "Friends and lovers' during it..it was the first time I heard a full length song, in a tv show.
After that, it was more common.

Now some shows are infamous for their soundtrack. There are releases of them actually
getting popular musicians signed up is a goal, and while music is more and more popular in the show- I have noticed theme songs themselves, have died off.

Anyone have a favorite theme song< then or now?

Or an opinion on music- is it being overused over played. Does it help you build moments while watching..

Curious of some opinions
  10-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I'm a big fan of soundtrack albums - probably have more of those than any other genre of music. Still love Believe It Or Not, the theme for Greatest American Hero. And for an instrumental, I love the theme to Everwood. Another I really like is the theme for Star Cops, a generally forgotten but quite good British SF series from the '80s. The theme song was "It Won't Be Easy" by Justin Haywood of the Moody Blues.

For dramatic theme music, I remember being quite fond of the opening theme for Star Trek Voyager. I think Deep Space Nine was my favorite of the Trek themes - very majestic.

And now that I think of it, Joan of Arcadia had a great theme song, as did Roswell. I bought albums because I liked the artists who did the theme songs.

Opening credits used to be one of the most fun things about TV shows, but nowadays, they zip right through with barely an acknowledgement - I think to make more time for commercials. That said, one of the shortest and most effective is Castle - just a few notes and a very short animated logo, and off you go. But it's instantly recognizable as Castle, so I have to say it works.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  10-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 96 posts since Feb 2013
Shows were better back in the day because of theme sons.

All in The Family, Family Ties, Facts Of Life, Diff'rent Strokes, Good Times....I know all of these and THEN SOME by heart.

(Did I just embarrass myself?)
  10-14-2013, 07:14 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
My sister watched Days of Our Lives when that song was big. That was her favorite couple back then, Shane and Kimberly. Thinking back most of the big couples on the show had theme songs like Steve & Kayla, Bo & Hope, and Jack & Jennifer.

I really miss that the "it" couples in soaps had a theme song. The writing for soaps royally sucks these days so a good theme song couldn't hurt.

I used to like the theme song to Makin' It when I was a kid, but if you were breathing in the 80s you had to know the GAH theme song.

Shows just don't take the time these days for a good intro or theme, hell same goes for jingles, cartoon, game shows. Every show had a hook with a good ole song.

Love that Hawaii Five-O kept the theme song tradition alive from the original.
  10-17-2013, 04:46 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I used to record cartoon theme songs on cassette in the mid 80s. I still have several of them!

I'd just put the tape recorder up to the TV speaker.
- Alvin and the Chipmunks
- Heathcliff
- etc