01-21-2014, 04:50 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
tired of hearing loud noises during some scenes and then hardly hearing people talking in other scenes?

tired of hitting the volume button to keep pace with the film / tv show?

maybe, VLC's Normalisation option could solve this issue for you.

1) run VLC.

2) navigate to Tools->Preferences

3) Select Audio. Check the Normalize volume to: box and set the value to 1.6

4) Switch to Advanced view by selecting All in the Show Settings box at the bottom left.

5) Expand Audio and highlight Filters. Check the Volume Normalizer box. You should see normvol added to the text box at the bottom.

6) Expand Filters and highlight Volume Normalizer. Set Number of audio buffers to 10 and Maximal volume level to 1.6.

7) Hit the Save button at the bottom. Restart VLC, as settings are not applied until it restarts.

this is only a guidline.

the nomalize volume setting of 1.6 may or may not be right for you and your particular set up.

you have to do a bit of investigation to see if this option works for you or not.

if it does, then it could be a godsend.

i for one am %$£&!#* tired of loud noises in action/dramatic scenes and then near silence during the "talking heads" scenes.

i am investigating VLC's Normalisation myself over the coming days and weeks. i'll be using various movies, tv shows and cartoons to see what works and what doesn't.

try and see for yourself.
good luck.
  01-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
Thanks for the tip. I wish this could be done for video games somehow.