06-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
I recently bought a 2TB external hard drive and put about 50 movies and other files onto it. Unfortunately, I left it in a bad spot and one of my dogs' tail knocked it off my computer desk, onto to a hard floor. Now, I've not been able to get it to connect to my computer. I see a light inside and hear what sounds like it trying to work, but no luck getting anything to show on the monitor.

Does anyone know if there is a way to retrieve the stuff from the hard drive or am I just s.o.l.?

Thanks.
  06-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
You can try to break the external hard drive open. Most external hard drives have an internal hard drive inside either a small laptop drive or a big pc drive. Then again some external hard drives are glued on and cannot be taken out without breaking it.

I would do a google search on what's inside your external drive and if you can take the drive out. There might be a youtube video that will help you get into your external drive.

If you can take the drive out: Once you have it you can either connect it to your computer by opening up your pc and plugging it in or buy a hard drive docking station so you can hot swap your drives.

Hope this helps.
  06-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Verified Member

Thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate the help!

You've helped calm an old woman's nerves. =)
  06-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
No problem.
  06-13-2014, 04:25 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 96 posts since Feb 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISAT...dp/B000J01I1G/

These cords are a lifesaver for me. I can connect any internal hard drive, for PC or laptop, and any cd-dvd-blu-ray rom to any computer via USB.

I bought them because I needed them, then I wondered how I ever did without them. Cheaper than docks, and more versatility on top of that, including the mobility of connecting to any computer.
The following users thank Light for this useful post: grillgoil43 (06-13-2014)
  06-13-2014, 09:06 PM
Verified Member

Awesome, Light! Thanks so much! I'll certainly put them on my 'gotta get' list!
  06-15-2014, 04:52 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 68 posts since Nov 2009
I feel for you honey. I did the same thing and just about died but was able to save all of my stuff but it took a lot of blood, sweat and tears. Lessons learned.