Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

08-11-2014, 03:43 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 375 posts since Apr 2011
do anyone know if there is a free form of Microsoft Office I can get
  08-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Use WPS Office (formerly Kingsoft Office).
http://www.wps.com/

It's a MS Office clone. I've been using it lately.
  08-11-2014, 07:03 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 375 posts since Apr 2011
thank you LS It seems to work great
  08-12-2014, 08:41 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 206 posts since Nov 2009
I have used open office for the past 7 years or so when my 60 trail ended for Microsoft office, it a full suite that does everything M.O. does, and I have been pretty happy with it. My wife's University recommended using it versus buying office for her school work. https://www.openoffice.org/ . But if you used to M.O. you may want to go with LS suggestion as it looks to work them same.

Dwen
  08-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwen View Post
I have used open office for the past 7 years
Yeah, same here. I have one copy of Office 2003, and mostly use it for Outlook. But I have other computers, including a Mac and Linux desktop. And 2003 didn't open the older 2007 docs natively. I'd used OpenOffice.org until they stopped (since restarted as an Apache project, now just OpenOffice), and had switched to Libre Office when the OO project first died.

But I'm probably switching to WPS because it's truly a MS clone in look, function and feel. You'd never know it wasn't Microsoft Office 2007+ that you have installed. I don't care much for the look -- it's the function I'm after.

There's some issues with spreadsheet work in Libre and OO, that I think may be resolved in WPS. Some things are just missing, and it's annoying when you're used to Excel, having learned it in a corporate environment. Libre also has some nuisance "are you sure?" warnings that are gone in WPS, and were not present in Excel.

Still testing...
  08-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Verified Member

I have actually been looking for something else since the revamp of open office as well so I am going WPS a shot, I am having issues not wanting to open my odt. spreadsheets that I originally made using open office version 3. Nothing changing a file extension shouldn't fix I guess but it may be my new go to.

Dwen
  08-12-2014, 04:10 PM
Verified Member

P.S. I did prefer Outlook 2003 over the Windows Live Mail/ Windows Mail, but I am a webmail user now for the most part.

Dwen