Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

01-01-2016, 01:05 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
Hi! As many of you know, I'm severely challenged in the technical department, well, my daughter is having trouble ripping discs to her hard drive so I'm turning to the experts here at the forum.

She used to use BitRipper on her previous laptop (a 2010 Sony Vaio) to rip individual episodes from retail discs to do screencaps, make gifs, and do little fanvideos, and never had an issue with it. She's since retired that laptop and is now running Window's 10 on a Toshiba Satellite laptop gotten in 2013. She's had the Toshiba since 2013, but only recently (within the last two to three months) installed BitRipper on it to start doing videos again. She was able to rip ONE episode from a retail disc using BitRipper before it stopped responding. She will open it up, it will acknowledge the disc and when she hits "start rip" it will suddenly stop responding or tells her to insert a disc. She has also tried using DVDFab9 and WinX DVD Ripper and had the same results -- they'll acknowledge the disc, she can select which episode she wants to rip, hits rip and suddenly they stop responding or tell her to insert a disc into the drive.

We originally thought the DVD drive on her laptop was shot, so we ordered an external drive for her to try, but the results remain unchanged.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be going on or what can be done? Any programs that she could try to use? Is it something with Toshiba laptops? She's about at her wits end and would really love to be able to rip to her computer again. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  01-04-2016, 06:24 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 15 posts since Feb 2014
Try this:
http://www.makemkv.com/

DVD ripping is free.
  01-07-2016, 02:28 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Penguin Bash Champion

Stats: 353 posts since Nov 2009
Thanks! I'll have her check it out. =)

-- merged --

WOO HOO!! SUCCESS!!! THIS ONE WORKED! My daughter is just ecstatic! She's so excited to be able to make her video montages again.

Thanks again!!