Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

08-27-2016, 09:29 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 310 posts since Feb 2010
Can anyone please assist?
I recently purchased 'E.M. Total Video Converter, Pro Version 3.71'. Am I pleased? Yes. The price seemed reasonable and I have since converted numerous videos from flv or mkv into MP4. But I have had difficulty converting the odd file and I don't know why. For example, a series called 'Trapped' has 10 episodes I found as torrents. I was able to convert episodes 1- 4 and 9 & 10 but I cannot convert episodes 5 - 8. The source for each episode seems to me to be the same BUT I am not all that tech smart so please keep that in mind if you can offer advice. Below please find what I have for episodes 4 & 5 to show the difference:

TRAPPED [2015] s01e04 Icelandic and English AAC EN SUB MPEG4x264 Webrip MPup 837.97 mb
TRAPPED [2015] s01e05 Icelandic and English AAC EN SUB HEVCx265 Webrip MPup MKV 130 mb

All I can figure out is one is MP4 and one is MKV, but my conversion program claims to be able to convert MKV. Please, anyone, advise.

I thank you in advance for any assistance but please, try to keep any advice simple enough for a novice to understand. Thank you again
  08-28-2016, 07:04 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 22 posts since Dec 2009
You could try another converter and see if it works. Here is the one I use:
http://pavtube-free-video-dvd-conver....softonic.com/
-Bill
  08-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Both EM and Pavtube are what I call "Chinaware" (cheap software from China). Neither are overly great, and both are just frontends over freeware. There are lots and lots of Chinaware programs out there.

MP4 and MKV are containers. It sounds as if EM doesn't understand containers very well.

What exactly are you trying to do? I need to understand the end goal.
  08-28-2016, 01:38 PM

Verified Member

Yippee! Someone who knows tech stuff. Thank you Eaglecrest and Lordsmurf for responding!
What am I trying to do? All I want to do is convert MKV to AVI. I have managed to work my way a bit further into understanding the E.M. program. It appears it can change MKV only to AVI so I'm fine with that, assuming I can eventually put it on a DVD?
So I managed to get as far as the window to select AVI but then I have to decide which kind of AVI. THERE ARE 10! DIVX 50 AVI - XVID AVI - DIVX 40 AVI - H2 64 AVI - MPEG4 AVI V2 - MPEG 4 AVI - WMV AVI - MJPEG AVI - Lossless Huffyuv AVI - Lossless Raw AVI
Geez! And still so far to go to work through all this. With any assistance PLEASE keep in mind I am a novice but I am doing my best. Thank you both in advance. Now just waiting for your kind direction. When my E.M. program expires, I now know to scrap the cheap China wear. Thank you
  08-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Xvid is likely what you'll need.

It's somewhat odd to convert MKV/MP4 to AVI these days, as the video is usually H.264 in the MKV or MP4 wrappers. It's a slight downgrade in quality to get Xvid, at the same bitrates and file size. I'm guessing you have old hardware that still wants AVI only?
  08-29-2016, 03:48 AM

Verified Member

Well it was worth a try. I got into the program a little deeper this time (with your help) but after I click on the button for XviD AVI the program just shuts down.
At least I've learned not to renew when the time comes next year. What program do you recommend?
I will keep trying to convert my video in the meantime. I'll just try clicking on different things until I finally get a little further into the procedure to change MKV to DVD. Thanks for trying to help.
  08-29-2016, 12:52 PM

Verified Member

Update - I tried to convert from MKV to AVI again today with some other files and it worked ! ? I don't know why? I think I did all the same things as yesterday. So below are a file I was successful in converting and a file I was not successful in converting. Perhaps you could tell me why?
Mr. Robot S02e03 HDTV x 264 Killers [ettv] 245.01 mb MKV (success !)
Trapped s01e05 AAC EN SUB HEYC x 265 webrip [MPup] 130.11 mb MKV (no success)
By the way, Mr. Robot appears to be a show worth watching. I've only seen one episode so far. And Trapped is excellent. We've watched five episodes so far. Another show worth checking out.