Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

11-19-2016, 07:37 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Oh hhhheeell...p? I loathe doing these papers.
So far I have an A in this class so I really want to get the very least a B for this paper. I can choose any hardware device , I chose the DVD Burner-
Write about the history, Current status of the devices,and future of the device
4 pages- 12 pont font MLA format and bibliography page- Feck.

Shoot me now.. Please

Post some good educational and non educational sources to well.. give the old brain a jump start. After all it is winter lol
  11-19-2016, 08:19 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
When is this due?

What I'd do here is find "future" information from at least 10 years ago, preferable 15-20 or more. Discuss that as the history of the device, in addition to Wikipedia-style boring history, to give a background in expectations (how it was to meet needs). Then discuss what really happened.

That will give a solid foundation for your educated guesses on what may happen next. Focus on how it will meet future needs, not past needs. (I'd go further, and give alternate options of what could happen non-optical, but that's make the paper too long.)

For example, think back 15 years. Nobody foresaw the rise in video streaming. It was still science fiction. Not just something like Netflix, but Youtube, or even little HTPC-type (WDV, etc) devices for LAN streaming. The assumption, years ago, was that cable channels would make the jump online, and we'd do away with cable. No, those stubborn dumb bastards tried to fight it, and ended up losing as a result.

Streaming mostly killed rentals, burning, and post-DVD formats.

I could probably write 40 pages on this topic, easy.

I probably have some sources, but it'd take me a while to sort through them. I have optical tearsheets going back 20 years.

This is a question I often get, and have never answered. Depending on when your paper is due, I'd think about a long article in the near future.
  11-19-2016, 09:19 PM
Gramma of CPS

It's due 12-1

I guess according my instructor . It's also going to be used part of my portfolio for graduation? I just cant see how a A+ / Computer Config Hardware course will amount to squat as far as a portfolio. The funny thing is my major is AA Applied Business / Mutli Media Design - This course is one of those BS required classes that has nothing to do with any type of design . video etc. Spring I have to take another crap class visual basic...
I have no desire to learn coding. This class I had to dig up dos commands ? lol

If you want to write this for me .. I wont stop you
Lucky for me he said he's not overly concerned with grammar. Just want to see if we know what we re talking about. I can sit discuss anything video audio graphically related and show people in person how to do things. To over analyze certain subjects my brain goes on hiatus.

I started here -
http://whatis.techtarget.com/referen...uide-to-CD-DVD

Weeding through...well you just saved a lot of blah de blah.

I agree. You should write a long article on this.
  11-21-2016, 07:37 PM
Gramma of CPS

I m stuck....I have roughly 2 pages done. I just went blank due to boredom from the standard technical crud as you pointed out. Which also crossed over into other devices.The next thing I knew I was researching on not only dvd optical but Laser DISCS,
CDR, Beta VHS and said hey oh No. I read up on this when I started the hobby. I think my head imploded from too much knowledge. I need to know where to stop. It is never ending torture. I think it is going to be tricky writing basic past, present and future of the dvd optical device. You can not simply just write about it without including other mediums and explaining their history hence yip.. will be too long. Just 2 pages on standard info of history and media. Old friend o mine .. I am so doomed lol
  11-21-2016, 07:57 PM

You need to focus.
You need an outline.

Intro:
- Quick overview of what optical media is, what it was intended to do (ie, replace magnetic media).
- You can generalize 3 basic generations of media: CD (audio), DVD (video and audio), and BD (HD video and audio).
- There were several connecting formats that ultimately failed: CED, MiniDisc, Magnet-Sony optical disc, Laserdisc, HD-DVD. Each was a precursor.

2nd act:
Your focus is the 2nd generation. Why? Because it's still proving more popular than 3rd and 1st combined. Give some insight into why this is. What is allowing DVD to have staying power. Allude to that staying power in the future. Back all of this up with vetted research, which shouldn't be too hard.

3rd act:
You focus even tighter, it seems: recordable DVD (DVD-R, +R, -RW, +RW, -RAM, -R DL, +R DL). Each of those has failing and benefits. List them. Discuss the internal format war of DVD. Modern DVD burners support most of these formats (the "winners" of the internal war). And that's the device you're projecting a future for.

4th act:
To understand the future, it's a good idea to look at yesterday's future. What DVD was going to be back 15-20 years ago. DVD-ROM can out in 1996, recordable -R(G) in 2001, +R in 2003.
Then look at what actually happened. This is a basis for a cautious outlook on your part.

5th act
The rise of streaming has mostly prematurely killed off BD, and MP3 long ago supplanted CD. Even third-world VCD is dead, and frilly user-created formats like KVCD. DVD is also archival, where CD and BD were not.
It's still the go-to format for not just movies, but data retention/backup. People trust physical media, things they can hold, not "the cloud" (online backup to hard drives).

You'll want to augment this to your own ideas, especially act 5, but the outline is sound.

That site where you started is too technical. You need more than just tech nonsense. You need a business perspective as well. It's ultimately users that define how usable a format is, not the techie blah-blah (aka nerd dick-measuring contests).

I'll look over your paper as you get closer to feeling it's been fleshed out and written well. I'm not going to pay attention to your grammar/spelling, but rather the accuracy of the info. I will look for things that don't make sense, or ideas that were left out or thinly discussed.
  11-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Gramma of CPS

Okay, I m just going to scrap what I did and start over fresh with these suggestions.
I was just simply overwhelmed with weeding out the technological aspect where to go next into my own words.
Thanks LS. Much appreciated as I do have ADD have issues with staying focused on one thing for long periods. Which makes it harder to do but I do eventually get it done. This is important to me..

Btw - aka nerd dick-measuring contests ? Good one
  11-21-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp32 View Post
as I do have ADD have issues with staying focused
Everybody has focusing issues, ADD on not. My MS has caused me to have more, as has getting older -- and you're a bit older that I am!

That's what outlines are for.

You should flesh it out with research. What I did was give a simple suggested basic outline. Either augment it, or use it. But either way, it needs to be fleshed out based on your research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp32 View Post
Btw - aka nerd dick-measuring contests ? Good one
Yep.

I may know a lot about technology, and have used it for decades, but it's just a means to an end. And that end, in the beginning, was cartoons. Then TV, then it turned into a career, and now back to part-time hobby. I've come full circle. But these are tools, not toys. I don't have an joygasm from fondling a new whizbang device like so many of these modern dorks do.

Don't fall into the nerdist trap, don't get lost in the measurbating over specs, benchmarks, and numbers. Keep a level head about all of this. Remember the common user, the business, and the professionals. Too many websites are NOT by those groups, and are full of nerd raging. Avoid those, when doing your research. Or, at very least, learn to recognize them (and feel free to present their "in the bubble" POV, especially in the contrast of future forecast vs. reality).
  11-27-2016, 08:34 PM
Gramma of CPS

What's the bad news.....gulp
  11-27-2016, 09:13 PM

Will you be up in 30 minutes?
  11-28-2016, 08:36 PM
Gramma of CPS

Are you trying to kill me? lol I gathered half of the information you suggested. It will take me 3 days just to work it in? Re organize and re write ... I m flooded with information. How to squeeze it all under 10 pages will be impossible , and only a few days before the deadline. I m an optical pimple thats going to burn out fast lol lol lol....

I predict a gallon of coffee and zero sleep...Or a aneurysm - OVERLOAD WARNING WARNING --
  11-29-2016, 10:21 PM

Information overload is good, when it comes to research. You have lots of good info to choose and edit into a topical paper. It's not often you get 1-on-1 time, a whole hour on phone, with somebody in the know on a specialized topic like this.

You need some added research, sources for the paper -- but I told you what to look for, even ideas on where to find it.
I think you can write a solid 5-6 pg paper, no problem.

Just be concise, don't ramble. Learn to edit yourself. That's one difference between an A+ paper and "a paper (B-F).

I can see you learning. You need more practice at writing, but you're not a lost cause. You have some basic research skills, but you've never been taught anything more advanced. Tip: Journalism courses usually teach you how to do advanced research. Same for advanced history courses. You'll get there. Just keep at it.

I think you'll do fine. I'll carve out one more 30-minute block of time for you, to go over a final draft.

FYI: I choose not to inundate you with things like viewing optical disc patents. Those things are gold mines, but it's tedious. You don't have the time, and I'm sure your eyes would glaze over. You also need some non-basic understanding of chemistry. Yeah, CHEMISTRY! Sometimes math, even advanced algebra. I bet you'd never think of that, huh?
  12-02-2016, 11:45 PM
Gramma of CPS

Well as you know after all that time spent on my original paper. I had to scrap it because he only wanted a paper pertaining to the device only. So this fueled my anger I finished it a few minutes ago. Now its time for a shot of tequila. I ve had it. Stick a dvd in me I m done with writing .
  12-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Gramma of CPS

The verdict is in. I got 24/ 30 points for my research paper
my final grade for the class , now look at this .. I Dont understand the math in this..

Item
Last Activity
Grade
Status
Weighted Total
-
Total
587.50/700

But....
Fall 2016: COMT 11009
-
700 CRN 19852