12-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Arcade Wins: Bartending Champion
Stats: 582 posts since Jun 2013
Curiosity killed the cat and all. Why are you here? What brought you here? I'll go first

Why am I here?

I've always been big into collecting tv shows, at an early age my dad drilled into my head that taping things off the tv (with a betamax at that time) was a ok and sometimes they don't repeat things. I can remember him taping Sesame Street for me in the early 80s then Transformers, GI Joe, and Voltron in the late 80s. Of course being a kid at the time those tapes are long long gone and dead. I must have watched them so many times the tape most likely broke long before I was done with them. As time went on I wanted more and more of the old shows that weren't released on dvd/vhs/bluray/itunes . I've also found that now some of these shows are in fact being released. Some are edited so they aren't even the original that was shown on TV. TLDR? I'm here to expand my tv collection and hang out with some great people in the process.

What brought me here?

A few years ago, a friend of mine came to me with an interesting "problem". He had hundreds and hundreds of concert tapes on hi8 and 8mm that he needed to convert over to dvd. Upon searching the net and various forums I bumped into DigitalFAQ (LS's other home). LS schooled me on transferring over tapes and I was set until my buddy's project came to an end. Then I had some free time due to medical issues (I'm fine now) and was laid up in bed for 2 months. So TV was my only outlet, brought back memories of watching the older shows and I started looking and looking and found well nothing lol. I then bumped into TVPast and the rest is history.

Well that is about it, lets hear from you now
  12-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Why am I here?
I have been here since the dawn of time. I can not go away .
I co exist with this hobby /forum

My hobby started out eons ago just simply recording my favorite shows, movies, mtv concerts back in the day. I came across an ad out of town someone who had massive video collection willing to trade or buy VHS / film etc. So that's how I got into trading.
Later along came the internet what I couldnt find through mailing trades and film conventions ( yes it did exist before online trading lol) I started to look online for my cartoons , tv shows etc I stumbled over cps ( during the French revolution lol ) I sold a bunch of my He man retail tapes on he man.org -but went back to cps I wanted more than He man and she ra. Started trading here and Sitcomsonline.com I did a lot of good trades there . Some of those members made their way here. Trading is a cross over addiction world wide. After a while I saw a lot of impressive home video restoration, menus, and more. Hesistant lol I want to learn. Ls ***** slapped me called me out when it was pure shite . lol LS , Phlip Ducan , Mark were teaching me various techniques.
wayshway was helping with me case art end of it too. This eventually led to going back to school to get a AA in Multimedia /Design - then onto a BA if things work out. I dont die before i graduate lol

Bobny and my spouse had a lot in common musically , my husband a musician and my daughter loves anime. LS Phil Mark Bobby ..

They have become my second family. I cant imagine not being here. I may not always be active trading wise . I m around.

I dont trade anymore because I know I can not complete trades in a timely manner. Plus all my spare time goes on my grandson lol So I just buy things. If I can help someone I will.
  12-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I'll put this in the next newsletter. It's been a topic in past years, but always good to get the story from the newer members.

What brought me here?

In 1999, the collector known as EvilStar created "The Cartoon Preservation Society" on the free board site Network54. However, in those days, you met collectors on newsgroups, so the site was mostly unused. Forums in general were still not too popular. I knew about CPS from the beginning, but found it useless.

In 2003, while looking for a show, I re-visited CPS. The popularity of the VCD had seen it grow in the past year. But it had spam and scam issues, and the collector AngelOfAnimes (AOA), who had recently acquired admin control from EvilStar, asked for my help to clean up and run the board. So I did. (I think cp32 is the only active member that's used it longer than myself; she is indeed older than dirt!)

^ That's what brought me here.

By 2005, Network54 had become unreasonable, and we moved to the Snitz forum codebase at tvpreservation.com on a paid hosting account -- which is why the oldest TVPast post only dates back to 2005.

(Note: In 2004, CPS and the live-action CPS clone "The TV Preservation Society" had merged. The naming was a compromise: the site was still named "The Cartoon Preservation Society" on the tvpreservation.com domain. But the former admin of TPS was gone by 2006.)

By 2008, Snitz had become unstable obsolete code, so I upgraded to vBulletin.

In 2012, I renamed the site "TVPast", having never liked the tongue twister "TVPreservation". (And BTW, as of 2016, we now own the domain TVPast.com. The .org domain will be retired in 2017.)

The origin of TVPast/TVPreservation/CPS is actually much longer, and much more entertaining. For example, not many people know a coup had existed for months, to oust the increasing erratic Kalmec, the former admin of TPS!

I've seen a lot of good members come -- and go -- over the years.

Again, it will be interesting to hear more "origin stories" from the users here.
  12-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 44 posts since Nov 2016
I found this site a couple of months ago when looking for certain shows from the 80s to the 90s. This place is really amazing and i would probably be in the process of falling into a scammer on another website if it wasn't for you all. Thank you!
  12-06-2016, 08:36 PM
Gramma of CPS

I was trying to remember his member name and kept coming up blank, kalmec That's one hell of a memory LS
  12-11-2016, 05:41 PM
Knight of Toonplar

Stats: 1,516 posts since Jun 2005
Why am I here?

I have been here since the beginning I suppose from the weird old days like LS and Grandma CP on the old Knights of Toonpolar I mean Cartoon Preservation Society. I came for the friends I made and the group of traders like no other I have acquired a lot of good memories from this site and those from the friends I made along the way washway and like always a lot of people have come and gone.

Why am I here?

To collect those memories from the good ole days of TV when people had imaginations and we didnt just reboot over and over lol.. that and why not I would miss this place regardless.
  12-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 571 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to GreenRanger1
Power Rangers got me started recording everything on tape. So that fatefull day in 1993 I began recording what many thought would be a flop to put it nicely...over 20 years later power rangers is still going strong, and I still stand behind both the 2017 series and movie.

Any ways what got me on to CPS was something I'm still looking for Tigersharks. A cartoon that aired as part of a Saturday morning block of cartoons called The Comic Strip. Only 26 episodes were made of Tigersharks but I still hope to find it til this day. I do still trade on occasion. Ive made sets done art work for others and made some friends here and have a ton of shows now. Ive always been a big kid so I found this place naturally looking for Tigersharks.

My first dealing was with LS and I got Silverhawks. I have been hooked since.

That's my CPS origin story

GR1
  12-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Gramma of CPS

You still haven't found Tigersharks GR? I thought you would have completed it by now ....Or it Got a release. Here's what you do to get it released to dvd. Contact markatisu-ask him to start a set then months later it will be released lol
  12-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Verified Member

No I cant find it anywhere. I wish WB would release it, but I doubt it. I just keep hoping to run into someone who says hey yea I have that.
  12-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Gramma of CPS

One day GR one day. Btw the way young man. Did you ever go back to school? hmm?
The answer better be yes.
  12-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Verified Member

Message me cp32 Id love to catch up.
  12-21-2016, 03:29 PM
Verified Member

Oh and I finished school with a 3.9GPA Bachelor of Science in Industrial Technology.