02-02-2017, 08:43 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 310 posts since Feb 2010
Hello: My current problem involves not a video but a WORD for Windows issue. I hope no one minds that I ask for tech support not involving a video.
A one time 'friend' stole my Word 6.0 floppy discs some time ago. I recently managed to acquire an identical set of floppies. I put them in a file in my PC and then tried to run the program so I would once again have WORD for windows. It began the Install but quit fairly early on, claiming it could not open file named
wordfr(squiggly line)1\wdreadme.hlp
or file named
wordfr(squiggly line1\ole2conv.dll
After that attempt, I tried again and got a message reading could not remove file named
c:\windows\wwsetup.ttf

I feel I must be about one or two clicks away from having my WORD program back again. Can anyone assist please?
  02-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Well sounds like a corrupt file in your Word Application. Needs uninstalled not just from add remove programs- regedit- delete all keys /traces of prior install.
Try again.-Your Dynamic Link file is corrupt. It may not reinstall.

What you really need is do away with floppy discs. Start using a newer version of Word at least something under 15 yrs old lol

Why Not just use current vers of MS word? OR open office similar programs like that.
I have an educational license Id share wth you if you decide to use office.
  02-02-2017, 03:39 PM

Verified Member

I know how to uninstall. How do I regedit? How do I delete all traces of prior install? I am a simpleton and need step by step because I have never done regedit before.

I am now afraid to try again (reinstall)

It may sound absurd to you and others but I was happy with earlier versions of WORD. My last repair man deleted my WORD program without my consent and gave me LibreOffice. I hate it ! I was happy with WORD. I can't afford and don't want the latest and greatest and besides, I paid for WORD and that's all I need. Is Office like WORD or is it like LibreOffice?

Oh and I forgot to add a big THANK YOU for your taking the time to advise me. I will wait any further instructions before attempting to regedit or uninstall. Thank you again.

Please tell me how to regedit?
  02-04-2017, 11:49 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Don't use RegEdit. That's a dangerous hidden part of Windows, and can easily and irreversibly mess up your computer. Most people warn of this (eh hrmf ... cp32?) before advising newbies to do such a thing. I really don't want to see you do that again. That's a tool only for experts, or those that want to tempt fate.

Can you download if I upload something, about 600mb? If so, I have an alternative for you.

We're all old ... some of us older ... and tend to get set in our ways. But, at the same time, the world has changed. We can't use the same software that we had in the 90s, or even the 00s, without huge drawbacks. I don't like the new MS Office either, and do not use it. My choice is also OpenOffice or LibreOffice, because it's more like the old Office than the new Office. For me, Open/Libre is the best option. The old Office won't run right, and the new Office made so many changes that it interrupts my 20+ year workflow in doc/mail/spreadsheets.

I''m amazed that you even have a functioning floppy drive. Mine all died last decade. Those devices were so fragile, collapsing even under the mere weight of gravity over time. The discs were very temperamental. In fact, that may be related to your issue.
  02-04-2017, 12:09 PM

Verified Member

Boy, Lordsmurf ALWAYS knows best and ALWAYS comes through. I'm glad I didn't try the regedit thing on my own (I almost did - I like to try to learn this stuff). I can download stuff (I think). I use utorrents and stuff so I am a little familiar. But I already have LibreOffice and I hate it. The entire layout is so restricting. What I liked about WORD 6.0 was the simplicity. I know that after a few repairs to my system, I ended up with newer versions so I know I didn't always have 6.0 but the latest version just isn't my cup of tea. I got 6.0 only because I found it on Ebay on floppies AND I knew I was fine with it in the past. I imagine anything between 6.0 and LibreOffice would be nice.
What I did was copy the 10 WORD floppies into a file on my Western Digital Book with 3TB and then try to load them from there into my c: drive. Now I don't know how to clean up the regedit stuff and I'm not sure if I should uninstall the floppies or just delete them from a file in my Book.
Any advice YOU give I will try my best to follow. (with a great measure of thanks)
  02-05-2017, 09:10 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 241 posts since Jun 2005
If you really like Word, I would recommend getting Word 2003 or Office 2003 (one with Word). I think that was the last version before they really screwed up the UI. And it would install very easily in your current OS version. You may be able to find a cheap copy on amazon or ebay since it's such an old version.

Update: I just looked on ebay and there's a lower-edition of Office 2003 with just a couple of the programs including Word going for about $13 from several sellers.
  02-05-2017, 10:16 AM

Verified Member

That all sounds very good, exceptional in fact EXCEPT would that not leave me with the same problem I have now with my WORD 6.0 floppies I just bought on Ebay? They are registered to someone else and when I try to install them, they create some sort of problem in my system that I think I am supposed to uninstall
  02-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 241 posts since Jun 2005
Word 6 is a program for Windows 3.11 and uses an installer designed for that OS, which did not have a registry. Win95 & up have a registry. What OS version do you have now? If it is relatively recent (2000, vista, 7, 8, 10), it will even support Windows Installer, which is what Word/Ofc2003 use to install and activate. It's like having a totally different program installed.

Also, a lot of times, with windows installer applications these days, installing a new version will automatically ask you to permit it to uninstall the recent older version. I know Encarta and new versions of Office tend to do that. Which is annoying because newer versions sometimes drop older features or content. Sometimes, you can get them co-installed by installing the newest version first and so on backwards.

But yours, like I said, doesn't use windows installer. It uses the full screen and has a little prompt with sort of 3d buttons (as on a keyboard) in the middle of the screen, right? That kind of installation should not even be detected by the new installer. Your document filetypes will/should properly changeover though once you install the new version.

If you are keen on getting rid of the old file versions, look in the " Program Files x86 " folder for anything about MS Office or MS Word (typically a sub-folder under " Microsoft Office " is the folder that Word is installed to. If Word 6 was the ONLY MS Office program you tried to install, look for the program files, if any, like I said, in a sub-folder. It should say " winword.exe ". Delete it. If you see files with extensions (that end in) " .hlp " in the SAME folder, you can delete them too. If you really want the best advice, though, you may be better off leaving the files on your system if you are not sure what you are doing.

It IS, however, safe to purge your temp folderS. They will be located somewhere around here for the latest versions of Windows:

C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Users\[YOUR LOGIN NAME]\AppData\Local\Temp

DO NOT DELETE THE FOLDERS THEMSELVES. JUST OPEN EACH FOLDER, SELECT THE CONTENTS AND DELETE THOSE CONTENTS.

If you are not sure about something, don't do it. Ask first.

And somewhere in the start menu, look for an applet called " disk cleanup ". Run that on your various drives. Delete whatever you don't want to keep such as " temporary files " (files in one of your temp folders).
The following users thank ndbs9u3 for this useful post: cp32 (02-06-2017)
  02-05-2017, 01:22 PM

Verified Member

You are all *SO* kind to help someone in distress. Thank you so much ndbs9u3. I have Windows 7 so from what you tell me, if I understand you correctly, I am safe to install the Word program you suggested on Ebay and will do just that. I'll put a bid in shortly. In Canadian dollars it is about $20 but that's still just fine, as long as I can have an older version of Word I'll be happy. I will reread everything that you took the time to write for me to make sure I follow instructions correctly and then see about buying another WORD on Ebay. Thank you (ALL) again very much. I think this last bit of advice just might finally get me back into WORD again. (But everyone was more than helpful!) I think they had some listed on the ebay site for teacher and student? But I will research them all a bit and pick out the right one (I hope) Thank you again ! James
  02-06-2017, 05:23 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Sorry LS I assumed most people knew how to edit the registry these days. One spank for me lol I do it so often its second nature I agree open office is a nice alternative no near the memory tramp like Microsoft products.

windows 3.1 wow havent heard that mentioned in ages Some fun games on Win 3.1 hot dog stand

I still own win95 98 1st Second Edition and ME