Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

02-28-2017, 05:22 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 241 posts since Jun 2005
I am thinking about buying a movie in HD. Naturally, I prefer physical over digital. However, it's not available in BD format -- only HD DVD and I don't own an HD DVD-compatible player or drive. Does anyone here have the ability to extract from an HD DVD and back it up to, say, a BD-R for me? Please PM me. Thanks!
  02-28-2017, 06:55 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I have a HD-DVD ROM.

And I believe that DVDFab HD Decrypter can read from it. If not that software, one of the others (AnyDVD, etc). It was possible when the format was new.

You can burn the full extracted file to BD-R, or compress to burn to DVD9 or DVD5.
  03-01-2017, 08:59 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 199 posts since Nov 2009
Out of curiosity (and you can tell me it's none of my business if you want), what movie is it? There are darned few films that came out in the HD DVD format that haven't gotten a subsequent blu-ray release. I think BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF was one. Just curious if there are others.
  03-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 199 posts since Nov 2009
I ran into this same situation with a film I wanted several years back. Ultimately, I decided it was easier and cheaper just to buy an HD-DVD player. At that time, you could get a decent unit off eBay for about 40 bucks. More recently, I've spotted them in thrift stores for around 15 or 20.