To see product details, add this item to your cart. You can always remove it later.
FREE Returns
Added to

Sorry, there was a problem.

There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Please try again.

Sorry, there was a problem.

List unavailable.
Other Sellers on Amazon
Added
Sold by: ZBK Group
Sold by: ZBK Group
(5101 ratings)
93% positive over last 12 months
Shipping rates and Return policy

DCI Banks: Season 5 [DVD]

4.7 4.7 out of 5 stars 167 ratings

To see product details, add this item to your cart. You can always remove it later.
FREE Returns
Additional DVD options Edition Discs
Price
New from Used from
DVD
April 4, 2017
$24.17 $6.74

Purchase options and add-ons

Genre Drama
Format NTSC, DVD
Contributor Various
Language English
Number Of Discs 2
Available at a lower price from other sellers that may not offer free Prime shipping.

Frequently bought together

$25.44
Get it as soon as Sunday, Mar 31
Only 8 left in stock - order soon.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
+
$24.60
Only 1 left in stock - order soon.
Sold by RapidPrimePros and ships from Amazon Fulfillment.
+
$20.56
In Stock
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Total price:
To see our price, add these items to your cart.
Details
Added to Cart
Some of these items ship sooner than the others.
Choose items to buy together.

Product Description

A DCI Banks returns for its grittiest season yet with an explosive serial crime story that weaves through all six episodes. When the victim of a frenzied attack is found in woodland, the team wonder if it’s a random killing or related to the location – a shrine to a local girl who recently committed suicide there. But when Banks uncovers a link to local crime boss Steve Richards, he formulates a theory of his own. Elsewhere what starts out as a missing person’s case soon escalates into a kidnap and ransom. And Banks and the team have a painful job finding out how a recent tragedy occurred. While Chief Superintendent Anderson puts pressure on DI Helen Morton to close the case, Banks becomes increasingly certain this is all down to one man – crime boss Steve Richards.

]]>

Product details

• MPAA rating ‏ : ‎ NR (Not Rated)
  • Product Dimensions ‏ : ‎ 0.7 x 7.5 x 5.4 inches; 2.88 ounces
  • Item model number ‏ : ‎ 43387827
  • Director ‏ : ‎ Various
  • Media Format ‏ : ‎ NTSC, DVD
  • Run time ‏ : ‎ 6 hours and 40 minutes
  • Release date ‏ : ‎ April 4, 2017
  • Actors ‏ : ‎ Various
  • Dubbed: ‏ : ‎ English
  • Subtitles: ‏ : ‎ English
  • Studio ‏ : ‎ BBC
  • ASIN ‏ : ‎ B01EIS4668
  • Country of Origin ‏ : ‎ USA
  • Number of discs ‏ : ‎ 2
  • Customer Reviews:
    4.7 4.7 out of 5 stars 167 ratings

Customer reviews

4.7 out of 5 stars
4.7 out of 5
167 global ratings
DEPRESSING
5 Stars
DEPRESSING
The last three years have taken a dreadful toll on my favorite British policemen:-- "Foyle's War" ended in 2015 after eight seasons.-- "New Tricks" ended in 2015 after twelve seasons.-- "Inspector Lewis" ended in 2016 after nine seasons.-- "DCI Banks" ends in 2017 after five seasons.-- "George Gently" will end in 2017 after eight seasons.We may come to look back on the last ten years as the Golden Age of British Police on Television.Christopher Foyle, Robbie Lewis and George Gently are better known to us Americans than Alan Banks or the eccentric geezers from "New Tricks".Inspectors Foyle, Lewis and Gently all received national exposure on Masterpiece Mystery.But my local PBS station (Univ. of Illinois) never broadcast "DCI Banks" or "New Tricks".I found them at the library and took a chance.DCI BANKS:This excellent and gritty British police series debuted in 2010.Set in the industrial North of England.Filmed in and around the city of Leeds in Yorkshire.My apologies to the Chamber of Commerce, but this is really dreary real estate.Not a tourist attraction like the Sussex of "Foyle's War" or the Thames Valley of "Inspector Lewis".Since the series began, Stephen Tompkinson has played Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks, and Andrea Lowe has played Detective Sergeant Annie Cabbot.There is a surprising amount of sexual tension on this show.D.S. Cabbot took maternity leave at the start of Season Two.Nobody knows who the father is, and there is a great deal of speculation among her fellow officers.[No, DCI Banks is not the father.]In Season Two, Caroline Catz, as Detective Inspector Helen Morton, was brought in as a temporary replacement.I have a major crush on this woman(DCI Banks was filmed simultaneously with "Doc Martin").D.S. Cabbot came back as a single mother for Season Three, but D.I. Helen Morton has caught on and is now part of the team.All three are back for Season Five.My major problem with the show is that there was entirely too much fraternization between the ranks, especially in Season Three.Too much "Boinking"Too much "Rogering"Too much "Shagging"Too much "Taking Old One-Eye to the Optometrist"--- British euphemisms for sexual intercourse (from the Online Slang Dictionary)The implied sexual tension of Seasons One and Two is out in the open.I would have thought the lower ranks were off-limits to Detective Chief Inspectors.In my thirty years of experience with the British Police (a lot of TV watching),this sort of thing never turns out well.*Surprise: When Season Four opened, the romance between DCI Banks and DS Annie Cabbot has fizzled.Sergeant Cabbot has gone back to her old boyfriend.Complication: D.I. Helen Morton's husband has just announced that he wants a divorce.Most of Season Four was spent with DCI Banks mooning about for his lost love.But there was a surprising turn of events in the final episode.Season Five will be interesting.* Why fraternization between the ranks never works out well:-- 2013: "The Fall" Season One, Episode OnePolice Superintendent Stella Gibson (Gillian Anderson) visits a crime scene,where she notices handsome Sergeant James Olson.Without waiting for an introduction, she hands Sergeant Olson her hotel room key,and orders him to report for duty that night.No consequences for Superintendent Gibson.Grave consequences for Sergeant Olson.I used to think I was fairly liberal about such things, but just realized that I am a prude.Thanks a lot, Scully.-- 1992: "Prime Suspect" Season Two, Episode OneDetective Chief Inspector Jane Tennison (Helen Mirren) seduces Sergeant Bob Oswald.By the end of the series,DCI Tennison is fast-tracked for promotion to Superintendent.Sergeant Oswald is out of a job (he's still better off than Sergeant Olson).It remains to be seen how the romance between DCI Banks and Sergeant Cabbott will turn out.I won't give it away - you'll have to watch Season Five.Although I did warn you that this sort of thing never turns out well.English SDH subtitles.Full-length UK versions.My only real complaint is the lack of Blu-Ray.LINKS ON AMAZON: ___ Pilot (2010) = DCI Banks: AftermathSeason 1 (2011) = DCI Banks: Season 1Season 2 (2012) = DCI Banks: Season 2Season 3 (2014) = DCI Banks: Season ThreeSeason 4 (2015) = DCI Banks: Season FourSeason 5 (2017) = REVIEWED ON THIS PAGEAll have English SDH subtitlesWatch the Pilot before watching Season 1, Episode 2 ("Friend of the Devil") - a continuing story.For links to the other recently canceled detective series,see Comments One & Two (dated April 3, 2017). Click on "Sort by oldest".Photo 1: DCI Alan Banks (Stephen Tompkinson)Photo 2: Sergeant Annie Cabbot (Andrea Lowe)Photo 3: Inspector Helen Morton (Caroline Catz)Photo 4: Superintendent Stella Gibson (Gillian Anderson)Photo 5: Sergeant James Olson (Ben Peel)Photo 6: Inspector Jane Tennison (Helen Mirren)Photo 7: Sergeant Bob Oswald (Colin Salmon)
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry, there was an error
Sorry we couldn't load the review

Top reviews from the United States

Reviewed in the United States on April 3, 2017
Customer image
5.0 out of 5 stars DEPRESSING
Reviewed in the United States on April 3, 2017
The last three years have taken a dreadful toll on my favorite British policemen:
-- "Foyle's War" ended in 2015 after eight seasons.
-- "New Tricks" ended in 2015 after twelve seasons.
-- "Inspector Lewis" ended in 2016 after nine seasons.
-- "DCI Banks" ends in 2017 after five seasons.
-- "George Gently" will end in 2017 after eight seasons.

We may come to look back on the last ten years as the Golden Age of British Police on Television.
Christopher Foyle, Robbie Lewis and George Gently are better known to us Americans than Alan Banks or the eccentric geezers from "New Tricks".
Inspectors Foyle, Lewis and Gently all received national exposure on Masterpiece Mystery.
But my local PBS station (Univ. of Illinois) never broadcast "DCI Banks" or "New Tricks".
I found them at the library and took a chance.

DCI BANKS:
This excellent and gritty British police series debuted in 2010.
Set in the industrial North of England.
Filmed in and around the city of Leeds in Yorkshire.
My apologies to the Chamber of Commerce, but this is really dreary real estate.
Not a tourist attraction like the Sussex of "Foyle's War" or the Thames Valley of "Inspector Lewis".

Since the series began, Stephen Tompkinson has played Detective Chief Inspector Alan Banks, and Andrea Lowe has played Detective Sergeant Annie Cabbot.
There is a surprising amount of sexual tension on this show.
D.S. Cabbot took maternity leave at the start of Season Two.
Nobody knows who the father is, and there is a great deal of speculation among her fellow officers.
[No, DCI Banks is not the father.]

In Season Two, Caroline Catz, as Detective Inspector Helen Morton, was brought in as a temporary replacement.
I have a major crush on this woman
(DCI Banks was filmed simultaneously with "Doc Martin").
D.S. Cabbot came back as a single mother for Season Three, but D.I. Helen Morton has caught on and is now part of the team.
All three are back for Season Five.

My major problem with the show is that there was entirely too much fraternization between the ranks, especially in Season Three.
Too much "Boinking"
Too much "Rogering"
Too much "Shagging"
Too much "Taking Old One-Eye to the Optometrist"
--- British euphemisms for sexual intercourse (from the Online Slang Dictionary)

The implied sexual tension of Seasons One and Two is out in the open.
I would have thought the lower ranks were off-limits to Detective Chief Inspectors.
In my thirty years of experience with the British Police (a lot of TV watching),
this sort of thing never turns out well.*

Surprise: When Season Four opened, the romance between DCI Banks and DS Annie Cabbot has fizzled.
Sergeant Cabbot has gone back to her old boyfriend.
Complication: D.I. Helen Morton's husband has just announced that he wants a divorce.
Most of Season Four was spent with DCI Banks mooning about for his lost love.
But there was a surprising turn of events in the final episode.
Season Five will be interesting.

* Why fraternization between the ranks never works out well:

-- 2013: "The Fall" Season One, Episode One
Police Superintendent Stella Gibson (Gillian Anderson) visits a crime scene,
where she notices handsome Sergeant James Olson.
Without waiting for an introduction, she hands Sergeant Olson her hotel room key,
and orders him to report for duty that night.
No consequences for Superintendent Gibson.
Grave consequences for Sergeant Olson.
I used to think I was fairly liberal about such things, but just realized that I am a prude.
Thanks a lot, Scully.

-- 1992: "Prime Suspect" Season Two, Episode One
Detective Chief Inspector Jane Tennison (Helen Mirren) seduces Sergeant Bob Oswald.
By the end of the series,
DCI Tennison is fast-tracked for promotion to Superintendent.
Sergeant Oswald is out of a job (he's still better off than Sergeant Olson).

It remains to be seen how the romance between DCI Banks and Sergeant Cabbott will turn out.
I won't give it away - you'll have to watch Season Five.
Although I did warn you that this sort of thing never turns out well.
English SDH subtitles.
Full-length UK versions.
My only real complaint is the lack of Blu-Ray.

LINKS ON AMAZON:
___ Pilot (2010) = [[ASIN:B00D49YBTA DCI Banks: Aftermath]]
Season 1 (2011) = [[ASIN:B00D49YDDY DCI Banks: Season 1]]
Season 2 (2012) = [[ASIN:B00D49YDR0 DCI Banks: Season 2]]
Season 3 (2014) = [[ASIN:B00SAJLR28 DCI Banks: Season Three]]
Season 4 (2015) = [[ASIN:B00UMDF1YA DCI Banks: Season Four]]
Season 5 (2017) = REVIEWED ON THIS PAGE
All have English SDH subtitles
Watch the Pilot before watching Season 1, Episode 2 ("Friend of the Devil") - a continuing story.
For links to the other recently canceled detective series,
see Comments One & Two (dated April 3, 2017). Click on "Sort by oldest".

Photo 1: DCI Alan Banks (Stephen Tompkinson)
Photo 2: Sergeant Annie Cabbot (Andrea Lowe)
Photo 3: Inspector Helen Morton (Caroline Catz)
Photo 4: Superintendent Stella Gibson (Gillian Anderson)
Photo 5: Sergeant James Olson (Ben Peel)
Photo 6: Inspector Jane Tennison (Helen Mirren)
Photo 7: Sergeant Bob Oswald (Colin Salmon)
Images in this review
Customer image Customer image Customer image Customer image Customer image Customer image Customer image
Customer imageCustomer imageCustomer imageCustomer imageCustomer imageCustomer imageCustomer image
35 people found this helpful
Reviewed in the United States on November 18, 2023
Reviewed in the United States on February 22, 2023
Reviewed in the United States on September 10, 2017
7 people found this helpful
Reviewed in the United States on October 31, 2017
6 people found this helpful
Reviewed in the United States on May 13, 2017
One person found this helpful
Reviewed in the United States on June 15, 2017
4 people found this helpful
Reviewed in the United States on August 2, 2017