Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

05-10-2017, 09:53 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 38 posts since Nov 2014
Hi,
I'm looking for a simple program (preferably free) that I can use to combine files from multiple DVDs. I usually use DVD Decrypter to import a disc, then DVD Shrink and ImgBurn to make a copy of the DVD. But I have some discs with only a couple episodes on them, that I wanted to combine into fewer discs. I like the way DVD Shrink can shrink the files without much quality loss, but unfortunately, when combines files from multiple discs, there's no menu. I tried Titlewriter, but it's extremely difficult to use, and I couldn't figure out how to make small menus so that three or 4 selections could fit on one screen. Any suggestions would be appreciated, please. Thank you.
  05-11-2017, 07:26 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
It doesn't work that way.

You can decompile a disc (DVD Decrypter IFO mode), then re-author assets (DVD Workshop 2 or TMPGEnc Authoring Works).

DVD Shrink is the wrong tool here.
  05-11-2017, 09:17 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 38 posts since Nov 2014
I'll check out those programs. Are they free?

Could I use Premiere Pro and Encore? I don't want to re-render anything, just combine multiple episodes onto one disc. I have the Adobe Creative Suite, but it seems like overkill for a simple project. However, I suppose it's better than downloading more programs.
  05-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
DVD Decrypter is free.
Download from http://www.digitalFAQ.com/forum/dvd-...-download.html

No, you cannot use Premiere. It will re-encode. It's not needed anyway. You don't need a video editor at all.

Encore is too fidgety. It has narrow understandings of MPEG, even when they're within the spec. Pros don't use that, nor do hobbyists. You can try it, but don't be surprised if it rejects your sources.

There's really not any free DVD authoring software. At least nothing easy and straight-forward. The free stuff is all very amateur hackish, usually with no DVD menus as as option. PM me about this, I have some more ideas.