Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

10-22-2017, 09:22 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 38 posts since Nov 2014
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could get the movies The Enemy Below (Robert Mitchum) and The Guns of Navarone (Gregory Peck) in full screen versions on DVD? Or anyone that could copy a VHS of the movies onto DVD? My father has an older fullscreen TV, and he absolutely won't watch widescreen on it. Thank you very much.
  10-22-2017, 11:00 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
A lot of DVD players will simply zoom to fill the screen. Did he try that?

I rarely acquire FS/4x3 when the original 16x9 (or wider) exists, unless there's something special about the FS. For example, uncut, different cut, etc.

Or if I just happened to have it before a later release, like the new Superman Extended 3-hour cut that's now on Blu-ray.

It's silly, but you can often record a zoomed DVD to a DVD recorder.

I realize that pan-and-scan(P&S) is not a pure zoom, but given the reluctance to not watch widescreen, I doubt he realizes it.

If you have the film in WS format, you can always convert to FS by simple crop.

That help?
  10-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Verified Member

I don't think he's tried zooming. That might work, if it doesn't cut too much off the sides. What program do you use for cropping to FS? Thanks.
  10-31-2017, 09:02 PM

LivePast100Well

Stats: n/a posts since
Quote:
Originally Posted by connierebel View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know where I could get the movies The Enemy Below (Robert Mitchum) and The Guns of Navarone (Gregory Peck) in full screen versions on DVD? Or anyone that could copy a VHS of the movies onto DVD? My father has an older fullscreen TV, and he absolutely won't watch widescreen on it. Thank you very much.
Can't you get him a widescreen TV?
  11-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Verified Member

I want to, but he's old-fashioned and doesn't like the new tv's!