07-17-2018, 09:08 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 38 posts since Nov 2014
I got the 9th season of Bonanza from Amazon, it's the German edition since they don't have a US edition. I need to remove the region code, and make a region free copy. This is what I did:
Imported with DVD Decrypter.
Made Video_TS file with DVD Shrink. (For some reason, I can't get DVD Shrink to make an ISO and Burn with Image Burn directly. I get an error message that the files cannot be found or something like that).
Used Image Burn to burn the DVD.
The disc plays fine in my computer, but when I try it in the DVD player, I get a "Disc Error." So I don't know what I did wrong. Other homemade discs play OK in that DVD player. So it's gotta be something with this particular one. I copied the entire disc, didn't get rid of any menus, or foreign language files or anything.
  07-19-2018, 06:16 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 22 posts since Dec 2009
It could be that the disc is in PAL format which is not compatible with most US DVD players.
  07-21-2018, 11:07 AM

Verified Member

It's the homemade disc that won't play. I didn't set anything to PAL when I burned it. How can I tell if the original is PAL? I thought importing it with DVD Decrypter would get rid of all that stuff.
  07-21-2018, 04:55 PM

Verified Member

If the original disc is from Germany you can be pretty sure it is in the PAL format. DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter do not convert PAL to NTSC. They just remove region coding and encryption.

I use a program called "MediaInfo to view the specs on a video. It does not directly report the format, but if the frame rate is 29.97 then it is an NTSC video. I think PAL is 25.xx.
  07-22-2018, 02:36 PM

Verified Member

So I guess I'll have to get a new DVD player anyway. What about my laptop? When I switch it back to Region 1, will it still be able to play the region free copies even though they are PAL? I only get 5 chances to switch back and forth, and this will be using two of them.
  07-22-2018, 03:15 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Don't switch the computer regions too many times. At some point, it will get stuck, and you can't change it anymore.

PAL and NTSC have no relation to regions. It's two separate concepts.
  07-22-2018, 05:49 PM

Verified Member

There are several options, for example:
- Buy a regular player that will play PAL discs on your TV. They used to be fairly common, but the manuals do not always state if they will play PAL discs. I had one that explicitly said it would not, but it did. An internet search should locate one. If it's a region free player you can play the original PAL disc. If not you can play the region free disc you already created.
- Re-author the disc yourself and convert it to NTSC. The downside is you have to create the menu yourself. The TMPGEnc Authoring Works programs work well, but they are not free.
- You can also buy a Blu-Ray player that will play files from a flash/thumb drive. Then using a program like the free AnyVideoConverter, convert the PAL .vob files to a file type that your "new" player will accept. My preferred format is .mkv
  07-25-2018, 08:58 AM

Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
Don't switch the computer regions too many times. At some point, it will get stuck, and you can't change it anymore.

PAL and NTSC have no relation to regions. It's two separate concepts.
Yes, that's my biggest problem. I just bought a region free DVD player for the TV, but that doesn't help me when I watch most things on my laptop.