Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Record TV: Video Tech Support

02-24-2020, 04:40 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 38 posts since Nov 2014
I recently had the "bright idea" to use the Playon Cloud App to record the first season of Laramie from Amazon/ Starz. It's perfectly legal, no different than a DVR, but the trouble is, when I download the episodes to my computer, they are .mp4 files. Apparently Ulead DVDWS2 doesn't accept those files, since I keep getting a "file format mismatch" error when I try to select the episodes. I did a search online, and from what I understand, you can't burn mp4 files directly to DVD without conversion.
So I tried several programs to try to convert the files. There are a ton of free programs online that supposedly can convert and burn mp4 files to DVD, but they don't work. Wondershare and AVStoDVD didn't even find the files on my computer, so apparently, contrary to what they claim, they don't accept mp4's. Leawo crashed every time I started to convert. Handbrake doesn't have an option for mpg, only m4v, mvk, and one other useless format.
I even tried Premier Pro, since I have the Adobe CS5 Master Suite, so even though it seems like overkill, it was worth a try. Apparently Premier Pro has a known issue that it throws the audio and video out of sync with mp4's, so that didn't work either.
Is there any possible (hopefully free) way to put these episodes on DVD? They are kind of useless on my computer, since I don't have a Smart TV to read the files.
  02-24-2020, 08:04 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 12 posts since Apr 2019
I’ve used DVDStyler for years without any issues; it converts .mp4 files to the correct format for DVD and then burns the disc in one fell swoop.
  02-25-2020, 04:08 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 38 posts since Nov 2014
Thank you very much. I'll check that out.