Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

08-02-2021, 10:10 PM

Stats: 3 posts since Feb 2021
Hopefully someone can help me with this.

Looking for the half hour TV short, "What's Wrong With Neil?" (1989)

It's apparently apart of the Canadian anthology series, "Family Pictures" according to the writers blog.

It's about a boy who becomes horribly embarrassed by an incident with a bully who steels and reads outloud a love letter he wrote to his crush. He's so humiliated he pretends to be sick so he doesn't have to go to school, and decides he's going to "kill himself" by drinking a concoction of Ginger ale and some liquid he finds in a chemistry set. Word gets around so a bunch of neighborhood kids gather in front of his house to see if he will actually do it. Humorously, in the end, nothing happens because the liquid from the chemistry set turns out to be completely harmless.

It was written by Paul Vitols of "Odyssey" fame.

It originally aired in Canada on March 9th, 1989 on CBC, and in the UK on July 4th, 1990 on BBC One on the same day as the World Cup Semi Final. It also aired in the US in the early 90s which is where I saw it myself but I don't remember the channel or date nor have found any info on those. I guessing i might have seen it on Nickelodeon's "Special Delivery" but that's just conjecture.

Thank you!!
  08-05-2021, 07:40 PM

Stats: 2 posts since May 2021
This story seems like a one-shot event not designed to evolve into a continuing ensemble.
  08-05-2021, 08:01 PM

Stats: 3 posts since Feb 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sholmes View Post
This story seems like a one-shot event not designed to evolve into a continuing ensemble.
yes, it's an episode of an anthology series, "Family Pictures". I'm looking for the one episode.