02-22-2006, 08:08 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
Got an recent phishing email, claiming to be from Paypal. I get them daily, sometimes several a day, all pointing to different locations. But I had to laugh at this one today. Here's what it said (and some of my comments).

"While performing it's regular scheduled monthly billing address check our system found incompatible information which seams (danged grammer checker!) to be no longer the same with your current credit card information that we have on file. If you changed your billing information or if you moved from you (I think you mean 'your') previous address please follow up the link bellow and update your billing information: If you didn't change any of this information you still need to follow up the previous link and update your existing billing information because it means that our database regular scheduled update wasn't made correctly. (I'm sure there's a "," missing somewhere) Choosing to ignore this message will result in to a temporary suspension (huh?) of your account within 24 hours, until you will choose to solve this unpleasant situation.

We apologies (lol!) for any inconvinience this may caused you and we strongly advise you to update your information you have on file with us. Please login in order to avoid any possible futuring (what??) billing problems with your account."

And of course, the paypal login link went to nibsa.cl/login.html (and I'm sure Paypal has relocated to Chile)

I actually enjoy reading these now, to see one of two things. 1) How clever they are in mimicing the true site and/or 2) How bad is their grammer and spelling. We all hate them, but I figure they'll keep coming anyway, might get some entertainment out of them.
  02-22-2006, 08:12 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Ha ha ha ha that was great. I think the saddest fact about your comments is there is a large segment of our population that probably would not pick up on the bad grammer
  02-22-2006, 08:25 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
That's what gets me! If you've ever received a genuine communications from Paypal or any other professional business, they have it checked, inspected, verified their standard responses before it ever leaves in a email. So when you see an email that looks like it was written by a 6th grader, you should be worried!