03-09-2006, 02:48 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
http://hoth2014.com/
  03-09-2006, 05:22 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
Is it just me, or are the winter games (in general) passe? I mean the U.S. was suppossed to have one of its best teams ever and all in all I'd say they were a colossal bust. From Bode Miller, to Michelle Kwan, to the underachieving U.S.A. (MENS) Hockey team they all choked to one extent or another. The only "bright spot" was the fact that we dominated primarily in events that featured "X-GAME" sports.

Another problem with the Winter Games is that no one seems to care about them. If you look up the ratings for the games in Torino, the ratings were down (overall) 37%, (averaging 20.2 million viewers per night), down from the games in Salt Lake, UT. which averaged 31.9 million viewers per night, and even less than the 25.1 mil. per night for the games in Nagano, JPN. in '98. Some people argue that the time difference between the U.S. and Torino is partly to blame for the dismal ratings, but I'd say that it has more to do with the fact that advertisers in the U.S. do a horrible job promoting not only the sports featured in the Olympics but the athletes as well. Most of us only hear about these athletes every 4 years! Is it no wonder then that such promotional apathy inevitably produces a near terminal "disconnect" between the viewer(s) and the winter games?

That said, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to promote "HOTH" as the 2014 host of the winter games eh? At the very least we'll see some Tauntaun races come of it.