Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Reality TV: Sports, Gameshows, Non-Fiction

05-07-2006, 11:03 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
On May 27th, 2006 UFC legend and Hall of Famer Royce Gracie will step back into the Octagon (competatively) for the fist time in 11 years. To mark his return, Gracie has chosen to battle Matt Hughes, one of the UFC's most dominant Welterweight champions ever.

The following is my breakdown of each fighter followed by my prediction on who will win this "Super-Fight":

Royce Gracie: This man undoubtedly opened the world's eyes to the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), when he ran through three men in one night to capture the first of his 3 UFC tournament championships back in 1993. Royce and his family are the preeminent masters & founders of "Gracie Jiu Jitsu", a fighting style primarily focused on getting an oppontent down to the ground and forcing him to submit via leg-lock(s) or a choke.

Gracie's cuurrent MMA record stands at: 13-2-3

Notable Wins: Ken Shamrock (UFC 1), Dan Severn (UFC 4), Kimo Leopoldo (UFC 3)

Notable Losses: Kazushi Sukuraba (Pride Grand Prix 2000)

Matt Hughes: He is considered one of the most dominant fighters of modern day MMA. He is not only extrordinarily strong physically, but also well versed in mat wrestling. He is perhaps the most versatile MMA fighters in the world, he can either grapple with his opponent, slam him around the ring, submit him, or simply "ground & pound" him into the middle of next week.

Hughes' record stands at 38-4

Notable Wins: Frank Trigg (UFC 45, 52), Georges St. Pierre (UFC 50)

Notable Losses: B.J. Penn (UFC 46), Dennis Hallman (UFC 29, EC 21)

Fight Prediction:
Hughes VS Gracie is one of the most hyped if not most anticipated fights in the UFC's history. It'll give MMA fans a chance to see if the legendary Royce Gracie can adapt to the current rules of the UFC while also showing us wether or not he can "rise to the occassion" one last time and beat a top level fighter in Matt Hughes.

For Hughes this fight can either vault him into legendary status, or possibly send his carreer realing. A loss to the underdog Gracie would not only shock most (fans & fighters) of the MMA, but it would also exploit Hughes' propensity for getting beat via submission, (Each of his 4 losses have come via submission). In many ways, this fight is a "Lose/Lose" situation for Hughes, if he wins some will say he beat an old, shot fighter. If he loses, people will probably say that he was "taken to school" by one of the GREATEST MMA fighters of all time.

The bottom line:
If Gracie wants to win this fight he's going to have to impose his will on Hughes and methodically look for and apply a submission. He'll probably have to take some hellacious punishment to acheive the win, but if he's willing, the win is well within his grasp.

For Hughes, his talent and sheer strength COULD presumably land him an "easy" victory. That said, he'll have to guard against overanxiously going for "the kill", if not, he'll get caught by a Gracie submission and it WILL BE OVER.

As for me, my heart is pulling hard for Gracie, but my head is telling me Hughes. So, I reluctantly pick Hughes via decision, though I WANT GRACIE TO WIN!

05-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I would not at all be surprised if Gracie was able to pull off a win.

05-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Is anybody recording this? I don't have in-demand PPV.
I want to see the fight.
  05-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Dan was at one of our local schools so called Fighting Tournaments lol Which you are lucky to fit 500-1000 people in this place. It was so so bad. You could get picture a with Dan for 5.00 ...The man who called himself "Mantis" ! I dont know, the admission was worth seeing his ridiculous costume lol The other fighters. I think a gagle of 3rd graders could have taken them
Terrible terrible lol.. Just thought I post for entertaiment value lol
  05-27-2006, 11:58 AM

Verified Member

I am recording the event LS, but it'll probably be awhile before I can mail out a copy to you as I am in the process of moving (yet again). If you can wait, I'll get it out to you the first chance I get.
  05-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
This will be a close one. I don't know Royce but I trained with Rorian. If it was Rorian vs Hughes I couldn't call it. The thing about Hughes is he is extremely strong for his height and weight class and his will to win is almost legendary. I think Hughes is going to take it. One problem I have about Hughes is his atitude that the UFC now is better than the UFC of yesterday. Some of those fights of yesteryear were just plain brutal. I'm actual getting interested in the Pride fighting matches now.

I'll be downloading it as soon as it is up tomorrow.
  05-27-2006, 12:58 PM

Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cp32

Dan was at one of our local schools so called Fighting Tournaments lol Which you are lucky to fit 500-1000 people in this place. It was so so bad. You could get a with Dan picture for 5.00 ...The man who called himself Mantis lmao! I dont know, the admission was worth seeing his ridiculous costume lol The other fighters. I think a gagle of 3rd graders could have taken them lol.

Terrible terrible lol.. Just thought I post for entertaiment value lol
Which Dan are you reffering to CP?
  05-27-2006, 03:08 PM

Verified Member

If anyone wants the result of the "Super-Fight" let me know and I'll post it here. If you'd rather wait till you see it for yourself, that's cool too.
  05-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Dan Severn Dan lol
  05-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Good fight, although I was a little surprised at how quickly a lot of the fights ended.

I was really impressed with Lister!