Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Reality TV: Sports, Gameshows, Non-Fiction

05-19-2006, 03:05 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
The following is for all of us fans of the Dallas, TX. based late, great, World Class Championship Wrestling (WCCW)...

May 19, 2006

Press Release

Long awaited documentary about Texas' legendary

Von Erichs/World Class Championship Wrestling to be released.

HEROES OF WORLD CLASS: THE STORY OF THE VON ERICHS

AND THE RISE AND FALL OF WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

is the story of filmmaker Brian Harrison's childhood heroes: The Von
Erich Brothers. It tells of the small Dallas promotion run by Fritz Von
Erich in the 1980's that became the innovator of professional
wrestling's worldwide exposure via television syndication.

With his three oldest sons as the franchise stars, WCCW was one of the
most syndicated shows in the world, until a string of shocking
tragedies drove the family and the promotion down a path no one could have
imagined. Today one Von Erich, Kevin, remains, his four younger brothers
among the stars who found a tragic end in the downfall of World Class.

HEROES OF WORLD CLASS is a story of surviving unspeakable tragedy and a
tribute to an unforgettable era.

Release Date: June 15th, 2006
Available on DVD
Pre-ordering begins May 25th at www.rightherepictures.com
Total running time: Approximately 2hours 40minutes.

Directed by Brian Harrison
Music by Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble,
Mike Datz, Peter Adams, Jeff Freling
and The Flaming Lips

Media Contact:
Brian Harrison
Harrison@rightherepictures.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------

More info. can be found by going here: http://rightherepictures.com/
  05-19-2006, 03:44 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
Cool. That's must have.
  06-07-2006, 03:30 AM

Verified Member

I ordered my copy about a week ago, from the reviews posted on www.rightherepictures.com this wrestling doc is one of the best if not THE BEST ever made...Bar none! I'm really excited, the DVD should be at my door in the next 10-14 days.
  06-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
I cant wait, I got all excited the other day because they had some wrestling on ESPN but it was that public domain stuff you can get at Walmart for $1, no real promotions or big matches. I had a flashback to the 80's though thinking ESPN was airing WCCW lol

Watching the trailer almost brought tears to my eyes, so many greats like Gentleman Chris Adams and the Von Erichs, I yearn for that kind of wrestling again. Seeing Flair get the Iron Klaw was just great
  06-07-2006, 07:55 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
Did you hear that WWE just purchased the World Class footage and a big chunk of Stampede Wrestling earlier this week.

Should be cool to see when they eventually put this stuff out on DVD, or on 24/7. They plan on doing an international classics show sometime in the future to air a lot of this stuff.
  06-07-2006, 09:24 AM

Verified Member

Yeah, I heard about the accquisitions. I hope for the fans sake, Vince will do justice to the two newest video libraries of wrestling he's just purchased, especially WCCW. It's great to have all this conent from the older feds and an era gone-by, but what good is it if you're only going to release "best-of" DVDs, or only offer full content on wwe 24/7, a service that alot of cable subscribers still don't have access to? I only hope that Kevin Von Erich had some mandatory (content related) request put into the contract he signed BEFORE actually signing it. Otherwise, the memory of WCCW will eventually be forgotten like so many other feds whose content Vince has purchased and ignored.

P.S.

I know some of you might think I'm a big schill for/of the website for mentioning this, but if you go to www.rightherepictures.com and click on to their "forum" link(s), you can sign up and join in on the threads posted on the board by loyal WCCW fans from all around the world...I guess you can tell that I miss the glory days when WCCW was at one time the # 2 promotion in the wrestling world. (2nd only to Vince's WWF/e)

06-08-2006, 07:30 AM

Verified Member

Well on the upside I know WWE already has a Bruiser Brody figure out and they plan on selling Freebirds figures, so Von Erich figures seem like a natural fit.

I grew up watching World Class from the mid-80s till Jerry Jarrett made it part of the USWA. It aired in Hawaii. I loved the Cotton Bowl shows and the Texas Stadium Shows. A lot of the crew actually used to tour here as I remember the Missinglink, Kerry & Kevin Von Erich, Chris Adams, Gino Hernandez, Michael Hayes and Bruiser Brody wrestled at the NBC arena. Kerry and Ric Flair wrestled a famous one hour draw here. I remember in school people were taking sides as to who they thought would win the match.

I used to never leave the house on the weekends as there was so much wrestling going on in those days.
  06-13-2006, 09:28 AM

Verified Member

2 days and counting....
  06-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Verified Member

"Well on the upside I know WWE already has a Bruiser Brody figure out and they plan on selling Freebirds figures, so Von Erich figures seem like a natural fit"

Jeremy P with Jakks toys did an interview today about the Classic Superstars and other WWE toy lines and confirmed that the Von Erichs as of yet WILL NOT have figures, the family has refused to sign off any the rights/likeness to any of their members.

So we can only hope that good sales of this documentary and GOOD use by WWE of the footage they acquired will change the Von Erich family mind so I can have my Kerry Von Erich figure to fight the recently released Lawler figure in a Superclash III rematch lol
  06-13-2006, 10:24 AM

Verified Member

LOL...Good one Mark!, Kerry was screwed in that Super Clash III match, I mean c'mon, Lawler as great a *regional* star as he was (particularly in TN.), could never ever hold a candle to Kerry or any of his other legendary Von Erich brothers...IMO
  06-14-2006, 06:24 AM

Verified Member

You mean the Family gave the rights to be used in those crappy Legends video games that was hard as heck to control, but no action figures. Bummer.
  06-14-2006, 07:24 AM

Verified Member

1 day and counting...BTW, I JUST got a shipping notice from both www.rightherepictures.com as well as usps.com, looks like I COULD have the doc in hand by the weekend....GREAT!
  06-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Verified Member

Let us know how it is when you get it, from what I have read its going to be awesome!

Right now I have 3 favorite documentaries, Rise and Fall of ECW, Behind the Mat, and American Dream: The Dusty Rhodes story. I am anxious to watch this one and add it to the above list
  06-14-2006, 09:22 AM

Verified Member

wrestlingobserver.com has a glowing review of the documentary by Derek Burgan. It sounds really awesome.
  06-14-2006, 10:10 AM

Verified Member

I recommend anybody who hasn't done so already, go to www.rightherepictures.com and view the trailer of the documentary. It absoolutely gets a wrestling fan hyped up for this DVD. I will post my review after I watch the the doc as well.
  06-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Verified Member

Here is the review

http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/....asp?aID=16560

Seeing the pics of the Freebirds and hearing about their segment makes me wish I could watch it now, I VIVIDLY remember that angle!
  06-15-2006, 04:45 AM

Verified Member

Today is the release date for this awesome documentary. I strongly believe that this documentary will be one of the best of all time, it will rank right up there with "Beyond The Mat", "Bret Hart:Wrestling with Shadows", and now the wrestling fan will be able to add "Heroes of World Class" to his/her video library....Enjoy!
  06-21-2006, 10:35 AM

Verified Member

I have just finished watching the entire 2:35min documentary, and I must say, it REALLY is the BEST documentary on or about a wrestling territory or promotion you'll ever see. It pulled no punches, it was respectful to the Von Erichs, while at the same time being candid about all the tragedy that the family has endured over the last 25 years. It covered not only the Von Erichs, but virtually every major star and angle that came out of WCCW. Couple that with lots of insight from the likes of Skandar Akbar, Gary Hart, Johnny Mantell, Bill Mercer, Marc Lowrance, and others, and what you have is THE true masterpiece of wrestling documentaries...

I've seen other documentaries like Beyond the Mat, Bret Hart: Wrestling with Shadowes, The Rise and Fall of ECW, all of wich are great, but the Heroes of WCCW, in my opinion, stand head and shoulders above the rest. Brian Harrison is to be congratulated, and commended for all the hard work and time he put into making a "one of a kind" documentary. This is truly one documentary no true wrestling fan should be without...Kevin Von Erich's statements near the end of the film both sadden you, but inspire you as well...In the end, Kevin turned out to be the strongest (amidst adversity), and most insiptional Von Erichs of them all..
  06-21-2006, 10:51 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
I want it !!! Not available in my area

06-21-2006, 11:01 AM

Verified Member

You can order it online CP...