Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Reality TV: Sports, Gameshows, Non-Fiction

06-28-2006, 09:59 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
After having read the comments on Mark's AWA Super Clash thread about "real" world championship reigns, it got me wondering, who did I think were the top 10 wrestling world champs. Here is my top ten:

1. Bret Hart-“The Hit man” is perhaps the single most technically gifted wrestler to ever come out of Calgary, AB. Canada, or anywhere else in the world. After a successful early career as a member of “The Hart Foundation”, where he and his partner would capture tag team gold on 2 occasions, Bret Hart would go on to an even bigger and better singles career. This 2-time winner of the King of the Ring (1991, 1993), would also win the WWF Intercontinental Title twice, the WWF World Championship five times, and the WCW World Title twice. His in ring skills as well as the care that he takes to ensure that his opponents are never injured in the ring have garnered him the respect and admiration of friends and fans alike.
I would be remised if I didn’t mention that it was Bret Hart who was the victim of the “Screw Job in Montreal” at the 1997 Survivor Series. Bret had been screwed by Vince McMahon because he feared that Bret would show up on WCW television with the WWF World Title and be encouraged to have another “Alondra Blayze moment” and deposit the WWF belt in the trash bin. Needless to say, but I don’t think that Bret would have stooped so low as to do such as thing, but I digress…
Bret Hart’s career would sadly end at StarrCade 1999 when a “mule-kick” to the head by Bill Goldberg resulted in Hart sustaining a severe concussion. Though Hart doesn’t blame Goldberg for the end of his career, many fans believe it was that one kick, which effectively ended Bret’s glorious career.

2. Ric Flair-“The Nature Boy” is truly one of the all-time greatest wrestlers, or in ring performers of pro-wrestling history. His 16 title reigns clearly demonstrate not only this man’s greatness, but his longevity as well. It has been said about Flair that “he could have a four-star match with a broomstick”. His mic skills, flamboyant charisma, and willingness to put on a great show (in and out of the ring) for the fans is what has made Ric Flair a beloved figure that transcends wrestling. Along his illustrious 30+ year career Ric Flair has wrestled a veritable “who’s who” in wrestling, men by the likes of Hulk Hogan, Dusty Rhodes, Bret Hart, Harley Race, Kevin, David, and Kerry Von Erich, Sting, Ricky Steamboat, Chris Benoit, Magnum T.A.…etc. each man either a current, or sure fire future Hall of famer.

3. Shane Douglas-“The Franchise” is a former 4-time ECW World Heavyweight Champion. Even though Douglas doesn’t have the notoriety (world-wide), that some of the other men on the list have, his tenacity and ring skills easily garner him a top 3 spot on this list. Much like Michaels, Douglas began his career as a tag team wrestler, most noteably as a member of “The Dynamic Dudes” with his partner Johnny Ace in the NWA.
It wasn’t until 1994 when Douglas defeated the legendary Terry Funk for his second ECW World title, that he achieved true singles stardom. It was also in ECW where he would form one of the greatest heel stables, named simply “The Triple Threat”. Though the group went through several member changes, the one constant was Shane Douglas, one of the greatest “heel champions” of any era.

4. Dusty Rhodes-“The American Dream” is a former 3-time NWA World Champion. Rhodes, while not the greatest ring technician, he is without doubt one of the sports’ best storytellers and ring psychologist. He along with another wrestling great, “Superstar” Billy Graham, were among the first wrestlers to be able to aptly use their superior mic skills to cut some of the greatest wrestling promos in the sports history. It’s these abilities that have allowed Dusty Rhodes to become one of the most enduring persons wrestling has ever experienced.

5.Shawn Michaels- Love him, or hate him, and I hate him, he has in fact been able to parlay his physical talent, strong work ethic, and natural charisma to become one of the best in ring performers
  06-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
My Top 5 goes like this, I am basing it on their contribution to the sport as a whole. To be an ultimate and "real" champion you must be able to defend the belt, win the crowd, and act like every match is a main event match regardless of whether its a PPV, house show, or TV taping.

1a.Bret Hart- Without a doubt the greatest wrestler in the history of the sport. He had it all from the family name/prestige to the in-ring skills, the mic skills and the ability to put anybody over who he faced. His matches are legendary with Mr.Perfect, Roddy Piper, Shawn Micheals and most notably Steve Austin. He is also one of the rare champions in the sport to hold EVERY single title that the federation had to offer from Tag Team to World Heavyweight. Who can forget the Hart Foundations 2 out of 3 falls matches with Demolition, a far cry from what tag team wrestling has become. If Goldberg had not injured him I am sure we would be calling him World Heavyweight Champion in whatever organization he was with.

1b.Hulk Hogan- Love him or hate him he is THE MAN, he changed the face of wrestling and single handidly brought WWF to the level it is at today. In Japan he showed he could wrestle against the likes of Inoki and later Muta. His most memorable contribution was his desire to defend the belt and take on all comers regardless of platform, there is rarely a champion in the last 20 years who defended the belt against no name low level jobbers such as Brooklyn Brawler the same way he defended against heavyweights like Randy Macho Man Savage. When you paid your money in the 80's dangit you knew Hogan was going to give you 10-30min of action. His matches are some of the most legendary in the sport's history from the record setting 93,000 Silverdome WMIII match with Andre to dropping the belt to Ultimate Warrior at WMVI. From the "I am a real American" Theme song to the pattented 3 punch/big boot/leg drop combo to end his matches he was a dominant figure in the sport. While I am not a fan of his WCW "Hollywood Hogan" character I cannot question the mans ability to perform for the fans.

2.Ric Flair- WHOOOOOOOOOOO Baby, Ride Space Mountain, To BE the man you gotta BEAT the Man!, probably one of the hardest workers in the sports history. I mean talk about defending the belt, he took it to a whole new level going to promotions like WCCW as well as international. His mic skills are unparelled and his in-ring theatrics just add to the show. Flair is one of the one wrestlers in the sports 100+ year history that can be remembered for his wins as well as his losses, not many other wrestlers can take pride in losing the belt but Flair can, some that come to mind include Kerry Von Erich, Randy Savage, Dusty Rhodes.

3.Shane Douglas - Just as Dan said, the name brings to mind just as many bad times as it does good. Who can remember the Dynamic Dudes? or The Professor? yes Shane has been to the bottom but is also solely responsible for turning ECW into what it was. It was his rebellious attitude and mic skills that brought change to a stagnent wrestling world, nobody in their right mind would EVER throw the NWA belt down and disrespect it as he did, nobody would ever take a promotion on their back knowing it was most likely going to fail, in a profession where wrestlers usually always do whats safe Shane did what was edgy and fresh. His formation of The Triple Threat was a stable that rivaled the likes of the 4 Horseman and were more hardcore and talented in nature then groups like DX and NWO ever could have hoped to be. His matches were some of the hardest worked ones I had ever seen, I met him in person several times and he was just as good off camera as he was on. Much like Hogan, Shane was able to deliver all the time regardless of the event type. Shane Douglas has to be the most ignored World Heavyweight Champion the wrestling has ever produced.

4.Lou Thesz - Plain and simple without Lou Thesz we might not have wrestling today. In an era where regions were dominated by a handful of players he was able to appeal to a broader audience, his co
  06-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Hulk Hogan
Andre the Giant
Stone Cold Steve Austin
Shawn Michaels
Bret Hart
Undertaker

I'd really have to think about it more.

06-28-2006, 01:07 PM

Verified Member

Though Andre "won" the title, he never defended it. Immediately after winning the belt, he "sold" it to Ted Dibiase.
  06-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
You youngins

Alrighty...

Dun...Dun....Dun..DA DUN! DUN DUN DUN DUN - Count it 10 time World Heavy Weight Champ FLAIR WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Flair has proven time and time again. To be the man. You gotta Beat the MAN.

If you have flair on your list. You need to add these 2 :

Dusty Rhoads - Line of BS a mile long. He could go toe to toe for however long it took.
No matter how disjointed his rants were. You always knew what he meant

Ricky The Dragon Steamboat - Flair & Steamboat matches were great. No so good on the mic.
He was one hell of a wrasler.

"You know Rick Flair" Nikita Kolof " The original Goldbergh" - Nikita vs Flair era great.

You never quite understood what the hell he was talking about. Nikita could rip your head off .

Which Brings me to Sting- Not the sting you know now. War paint Blonde Punk Sting.

Flair VS Sting - Some great matches there. Sting actually wrestled then ; not show boat as the The Crow like he does now.. Sigh...

Benoit - fantastic ! What a little monster. IMO a better wreslter than Hart.

Brett Deserves everything he earned. Flair been doing it since Hart was in diapers
Terry Funk- Way ahead of time. Poor old coot. God Bless his Hardcore soul

Ivan Putski - Polish Power baby!
Bruno Samartino Jr - PRE BENOIT

Dominic Denucci - Shane dougals ..couldnt carry his guys bags

Shane is responsible for ECW survival . I ll give the Pittsburgh boy that much ... N At

Undertaker Aka Mean Mark Callo was in AWA/NWA for a while.

He & Dan Spivey - The Sky Scrapers- Hell of Tag team.

Mark deserves all he has .

You failed to mention your hero MUTA? He was awesome.
I could go on an on....

New School

Sheese...
Alot of good ones. None Great. The old ones cross over

FLAIR FLAIR FLAIR

DUSTY

Hogan changed wrestling. Not a great Wrestler , Brrrrrrrrrrrother lol
He had charisma . great body that women love to look at. he's a Wrestling ManWHore

That's about it.

Hot ROD Piper- I cant help it. He 's just hilarious lol The heenan /Piper rivalery had me in tears every Tuesday Night Titan

Brett Hart - Brett is new School Hero. WHY.... Because he taught OLD SCHOOL

Well.. This could go on for another 12 posts . So I ll leave room for someone else. Go back and edit . Once I m awake

Mark, Austin? Are you on your meds today :P Austin has a great mouth. no skills.

06-29-2006, 01:27 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
This guy should be number One!!
Look at the moves he put on those smurfs.

06-29-2006, 01:40 AM
Gramma of CPS

ROTFLMAO!!!!
  06-29-2006, 04:21 AM
Verified Member

CP, Dan said Top 10 not Top 125 , if that were the case I need to make my list 150 entries long

You are crazy CP (well we already know that lol), Austin has great wrestling skill but was limited in the WWF by his character. If you watch matches with him and Pillman as the Hollywood Blondes or his time in ECW it shows a hell of a lot more. Austin's knees and emotional problems also kept him from going to the ultimate level, I feel he may have delayed the HHH era even more had he not gotten injured and then involved with Debra...even watching the Final Four match with him, Bret Hart, Vader, and Undertaker for the WWF title makes me wish he was back!

Also I left out Muta because we are talking about Greatest Wrestling Champions and while Muta has achieved a monumental success in Japan it has failed to translate to the US, he found little success in NWA/WCW winning and competing for the big titles but then ultimately had to return to Japan to finish out his career. I would put Muta in the same category as Kerry Von Erich, amazing wrestler, legendary matches, but for one reason or another just did not carry over to the grand scale as others have. Kerry was never given a chance in WWE, given a stupid gimmick and always played second fiddle when its well known he could have beat Ultimate Warrior and the rest of the top line of WWF retarded for the belt. He was only given the IC Championship because of "WHO" he was but had the WWF and Vince McMahon based it on their ability to draw crowds and who he could have been paired against he should have been in the WWF Championship level. Giving him a dumb texas hick persona demeaned his past and I guess set the stage for his unfortunate demise.
  06-30-2006, 03:49 AM
Gramma of CPS

I cant argue with that lol
  07-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 458 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to gatch72 Send a message via Yahoo to gatch72
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by markatisu

5.Stone Cold Steve Austin - Lets face it, when we talk about taking a promotion on your back we think of Steve Austin. Disrespected and unused to the best of his potential in WCW, he spent time in ECW crafting the character we would get to know as Stone Cold. When you think of catchphrases "Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ***" will always be on the most repeated. His matches were also of legendary caliber, who in this room can forget his match with Bret Hart where he was bleeding immensely and choose rather then quit and submit he would just pass out and force the match to be over. He single handidly made the Rock, he made Mikey Whipwreck, he even got Vince McMahon over long before HHH took over the duties. When you think of WWF/WWE Attitude this is the poster child alongside Mick Foley!
Stone Cold came into the WWF as the Ringmaster..He was also the Million Dollar Champion managed by Ted Dibiase.
  07-02-2006, 07:54 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
I would love to have some limitations and criteria for this list. How do you rate this? Popularity? Who drew the most money? On what scope were the wrestlers viewed as world champions?
Personal favorites?

I'll just list my personal favorites and who I think deserves to be in the top 10.

#1 Lou Thesz-He was known worldwide, was popular, drew the most money in his time, and won more
versions of the world title than anyone else.

#2 Gorgeous George-People still talk about him today, he drew money and held a version of the AWA
title.

#3 Hulk Hogan-Drew money, worldwide fame

#4 Ric Flair-The Man, most wrestlers aspired to be like him at least in the ring and as a draw.

#5 Vader-held world titles in the US,Japan, Mexico, and Europe, some at the same time.

#6 Verne Gagne-I know the AWA got stale in it's dying days but he was a force for like 30 years.

#7 The Rock-only wrestler made successful jump into acting and mainstream.

#8 Nick Bockwinkel-maybe shouldn't be on the list but a favorite of mine.

#9 Steve Austin-he was the biggest draw in his time. Bad neck or knees withstanding.

#10 Fred Blassie-He was a media darling in his prime with California wrestling. "The Vampire"
was an international star and the WWA title was considered a world title in it's time.
  07-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 129 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to bratac19 Send a message via Yahoo to bratac19
1. Sting...What a perfomer.
2. Ric Flair
3. Brett Hart
4. The Rock
5. Goldberg
6. Ricky Steamboat
7. Dusty Rhodes
8. Stone Cold
9. HHH
10.RVD

Tag Teams
1. Outsiders....
2. Road Warriors
3. Tommy Rich & Rick Martel.....old school
4. The Freebirds.....old school
5. Hardy Boys....High Flyers
  07-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Verified Member

Ha ha if we start talking about tag teams I have about 500 paragraphs to write

Willaim I agree though, Vader is probably one of the most underrated champions in existence. He has held virtually every major belt but yet he just does not seem to be considered up there in the upper echelons when a majority of people speak about wrestling. He was just as over in Japan and the UK as he was in the states, his mask was always awesome!
  07-03-2006, 08:32 AM

Verified Member

Well Vader at times was suppose to win the WWF title(I think HBK might have had a fit on that one though) and he was suppose to win the IC title when he got in trouble in Kuwait.

Again what would the criteria on picking tag-teams be? Would a tag-team be a dual or a group?

My all-time favorite underrated tag-team that were promised the WWF tag title like three times, but never got to win the gold--- The Killer Bees.

No idea why but I'm still mad they never got the gold.
  07-03-2006, 10:37 AM
Verified Member

The Killer Bees are my best friends favorite tag team of all time, we are awaiting a Classic Superstar set of them because they were awesome.

Thinking of them makes me sad because there was so much talent in both NWA/AWA/WWF as far as tag teams went that certain high talent tag teams never got what they deserved but now the federations seemingly have to scrap together singles wrestlers just to get a tag match going.

I want to know what they did or who they angered to end up their careers the way they did getting jobbed to The Rougeau Brothers of all teams!
  07-05-2006, 05:12 AM

Verified Member

I always figured that Blair was probably the more vocal of the two. I think the guy's a politician now. Geez, Niedhart got into some legal problems and still had a long run as tag champ. I guess they were more into heels having long title reigns since Hulk was practically married to the WWF title at the time. Heck the way the tag team scene is they could probably have a title reign now.
  07-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Gramma of CPS

The List continues....
  07-10-2006, 07:31 AM

Verified Member

The criteria for the list is based on wrestling skill, in ring performance/psychology, sustained excellence/longevity as a champion, draw, popularity (somewhat).
  07-10-2006, 07:41 AM

Verified Member

As for Austin, Mark's right CP, he WAS is a skilled wrestler in WCW, whose character "Stone Cold", kept him fom demonstrating that skill in the WWF/WWE.
  07-10-2006, 07:50 AM
Gramma of CPS

Pfft.. ..I never cared for him . Never will... I stick with my original post.

You have your opinions . I have mine