08-09-2006, 10:03 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
Okay, so we've had the top 10 world champs of all-time, and the top 10 worst Tag-Teams of all-time. I figure it's time to add what I believe to be the all-time best tag champs. The criteria is similar to that of top 10 all-time wrestling world champs thread. As always, add your list(s) as well. Here is my list:

1. The Steiner Bros.-

The Steiner Brothers are a professional wrestling tag team consisting of real-life brothers Scott Steiner & Rick Steiner. Both men, graduates of University of Michigan, have extensive amateur wrestling backgrounds and are known for a wide variety of power moves, most notably suplexes.

Their first professional match together was in 1989 for the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA). Following the NWA, the Steiner Brothers went on to wrestle for World Championship Wrestling and the World Wrestling Federation, plus a brief stint with Extreme Championship Wrestling and appearances overseas. During this time, they won multiple World Tag Team Championships between the promotions they appeared for.

The Steiners are generally regarded, along with the Road Warriors, as the best tag-team of the nineties, with hard-hitting inventive moves, and being babyfaces for nearly 10 years.

Championships & Accomplishments:

6-Time WCW World Tag Team Champions
3-Time NWA World Tag Team Champions
2-Time WWF World Tag Team Champions
2-Time IWGP World Tag Team Champions
2-Time NWA United States Tag Team Champions
Ranked number 2 on the PWI list of the top 100 tag teams
2-Time PWI Tag Team of the Year Awards (1990 and 1993)
5-Time PWI Tag Team of the Year Awards Runners Up
PWI Match of the Year (1991, vs. Sting and Lex Luger)
1990 Pat O' Conner Memorial Cup Tag Team Winners

2. The Road Warriors/L.O.D.-

The Road Warriors first teamed up in 1983. They wrestled for the National Wrestling Alliance, American Wrestling Association, All Japan Pro Wrestling, New Japan Pro Wrestling, WCW and the WWF, as well as numerous independent promotions across the United States. Their name (and to some extent, their look) was taken from the Mel Gibson movie Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.

In the early 1980s, in NWA's Georgia Championship Wrestling, Paul Ellering had a stable called "The Legion of Doom" that included the Road Warriors, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, The Spoiler, Matt Borne, King Kong Bundy and Arn Anderson. The stable was short lived and the name "Legion of Doom" soon referred only to the Road Warriors and Ellering.

The Road Warriors were a revolutionary duo in pro wrestling and are widely considered the greatest tag-team of all time. They were amongst the first to popularize face-paint in wrestling. Their look made them famous as wrestling magazine cover boys, and their short matches filled with power moves and no-selling only helped them when they were exposed on a national stage.

They won titles all over the world, and are the only tag team in history to win the World Tag Team titles in all three of the big promotions (at the time): the AWA, NWA, and WWF. Near the end of their career, they wrestled as L.O.D. 2000 with Sunny as their manager and the third unofficial member, Droz. During the L.O.D. 2000 run, Hawk and Animal received new modern looking entrance and wrestling attire.

Championships & Accomplishments:

2-Time WWF World Tag Team Champions
1-Time NWA World Tag Team Champions
1-Time AWA World Tag Team Champions
4-Time NWA National Tag Team Champions
3-Time NWA World Six-Man Tag Team Champions (with Dusty Rhodes twice & Genichiro Tenryu once)
1-Time AJPW International Tag Team Champions
1-Time IPW Tag Team Champions
3-Time Superstars of Wrestling Tag Team Champions
1-Time PCW World Tag Team Champions
1-Time i-Generation Tag Team Champions
1986 NWA Jim Crockett Sr. Memorial Cup Winners
1989 NWA Iron Team Tournament Winners
Pro Wrestling Illustrated (PWI) ranked them # 1 of the 100 best tag teams du
  08-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
No Dudleys??? I mean the Elimantors were awesome but come on Dan

* 8 Time ECW World Tag Team Champions
* 10 Time WWF/WCW World Tag Team Champions
* All Japan Real World Tag League Winners (2005)
* PWI Tag Team of the Year (2001)
* PWI Match of the Year (in 2000, versus Edge and Christian and The Hardy Boyz)
* PWI Match of the Year (in 2001, versus Edge and Christian and The Hardy Boyz)

They have the distinction as being the only Triple Crown Tag Champions of wrestling; the only team to hold the ECW Tag Team Championship, WWF Tag Team Championship/WWE World Tag Team Championship, WWE Tag Team Championship, WCW World Tag Team Championship.

And their greatest contribution was the work in the TLC match (Tables, Ladders and Chairs), one of the cornerstones that helped WWF turn the corner and take out WCW for good.

Other than that I would agree with most of the list except I firmly believe Hart Foundation was a better "Tag Team" then the British Bulldogs and on my list I would put them up at the #3 spot, to me a Tag Team is 2 guys who cant make it without each other and in most of those listed above its true. I dont see Rick Steiner making massive waves without his brother, Hello Repo Man in regards to Demolition!, and we all saw what disgrace Perry Saturn had to endure in WWE wearing a dress and loving a mop/broom

I would also flip/flop LOD and the Steiners. Just because LOD had a longer reign on top of wrestling through all the major feds of the time AWA/WCW/WWF....they truly were the greatest tag team in the history of wrestling as far as notoriety and fan appeal went.

This thread much like the Top 10 Worst Tag Teams makes me sad because the state of Tag Team wrestling has all but dissapeared

WWE uses them as a footnote and usually only in feuds with the bigger stars (Spirit Squad used to further the McMahon storyline is an example) and TNA does not have enough though they are getting there

Tag Team Wrestling to me was almost much more exciting then singles wrestling, you had the possibility of distractions which led to cheating and you had the incredible 2 person moves!
  08-10-2006, 01:40 AM

Verified Member

It was tougher than you think to list the teams Mark. I debated back & forth about the Dudleys, and while they were a very successfull Tag Team I just felt that Harlem Heat narrowly edged them out. The Dudleys could be # "10. b" though...
  08-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
ha ha ha if we start adding A and B I think I could have 30 lol

Man what happened to Harlem Heat, I always used to get excited for their ring entrance and while I know Booker T get his pushes I still think he is not as big as he was when he held the Tag Team belts. Booker T (King Booker, etc) has always seemed to me to be a midcard singles wrestler not because of his talent or charisma but because who they put him in programs with.

What I find ironic by both our lists and favorites shows a big dominance toward WWF, ironic now because WWF owns everything and wants to almost treat tag teams as if they dont exist.

Also watching old NWA/WCW tapes the last month or so I have noticed that for as highly regarded as the Freebirds were in NWA/WCW it seems they were either jobbed a lot or had a lot of matches go to no contest/dq. Funny how they seemed to find their greatest success in NWA/WCW but yet I think they were bigger and more loved/hated in WCCW.....guess that what having regions will do for you!
  08-10-2006, 06:40 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
Lots of good choices. I would put the Road Warriors as Number 1 though. I would put the Freebirds at Number 2 because they were the top heel act and draw in World Class. Maybe Steiners at Number 3. Rock N Roll Express Number 4. Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens at Number 5. The Bruiser & The Crusher at Number 6. Demolition at Number 7. Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson at Number 8. The Von Erichs at Number 9. And the Midnight Express at Number 10.
  08-10-2006, 09:39 AM

Verified Member

good choices WEW, as I said, it was hella hard comming up with my top ten list. Just imagine howhard it was for PWI to come up with their top 500 of any wrestling category.