Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Reality TV: Sports, Gameshows, Non-Fiction

08-10-2006, 01:01 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
So, we've had our fun with my previous top ten list, but I think THIS one will trump them all. The criteria for this list is "Lets take a wrester/ring performer, and see how badly we can kill his career, and break his will so that he never dares show his face in a ring ever again". (Not that these men haven't returned to the ring, they just have the stain of a bad character on them forever, regardless of any success they may have acheived afterward.) Without further adieu, here we go:

1.The GobbledyGooker-

The Gobbledygooker was a turkey-human hybrid character introduced by the World Wrestling Federation (now World Wrestling Entertainment) at its 1990 Survivor Series event, and is recognized as one of professional wrestling's most resounding flops.

The character was wrestler Hector Guerrero dressed in a turkey costume, who "hatched" from an oversized egg during the annual pay-per-view event. The egg had been on display at WWF events in the weeks before Survivor Series, and was heavily hyped during promos on the WWF's syndicated and cable wrestling programs.

The Gobbledygooker "hatched" to a decidedly negative reception, and was heavily booed by disgusted fans as he went about inane antics and danced in the ring with announcer "Mean" Gene Okerlund; play-by-play announcers Gorilla Monsoon and Roddy Piper tried their best to be enthusiastic. Critics were universal with their negative reviews, and the character was quickly retired.

The Gobbledygooker took part in the "Gimmick Battle Royal" at WrestleMania X-Seven, though his costume looked very different from the original. Hector Guerrero once again donned the costume, and was the first one eliminated.

Today, the Gobbledygooker remains one of WWE's most embarrassing failures. However, the incident eventually led to the creation of WrestleCrap's annual Gooker Award, given to wrestling situations deemed to be the worst of the year.

2. The Shockmaster-

The Shockmaster incident was one of the most infamous moments in pro wrestling. In 1993, WCW had signed Ottman from the WWF, and he was to make his debut in a match alongside three very popular WCW stars: Sting, Dustin Rhodes, and Davey Boy Smith. He would be their mystery partner in the upcoming eight-man tag match against the heel team, Sid Vicious, Big Van Vader, and Harlem Heat (comprised of brothers Booker T and Stevie Ray) at Fall Brawl.

When Sting and Smith were about to unveil their mystery partner, they did so during a live interview in front of the WCW audience together with Sid and Harlem Heat. Sting would say, "All I have to say is... our partner is going to shock the world because he is none other than... The Shockmaster!" The camera zoomed in on a particular section of the set where two torches set off a small pyrotechnics explosion in front of a paper wall. The Shockmaster was supposed to make his entrance by crashing through that wall in his new attire, consisting of a replica Star Wars Stormtrooper helmet covered in glitter, a pair of jeans and a long black vest.

Fred Ottman as The ShockmasterAs the camera was in for a close up, he tripped and fell through the paper wall. When he hit the floor, his helmet rolled off long enough for audiences to see who it was before he managed to put it back on [1]. Even the announcers were speechless. The Shockmaster resumed his entrance as if nothing had happened, and he continued walking up to Sid and Harlem Heat.

The interview ended with Shockmaster verbally threatening the four heels with, "They call me The Shockmaster. You've ruled the world long enough, Sid Vicious. Come on, you want a piece of me?" The heels were clearly trying to stop themselves from laughing while he delivered his threat. The Shockmaster's voice was a prerecorded tape that was provided by Ole Anderson. Anderson used the same voice effects as he did
  08-11-2006, 10:25 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
I think this one is actually pretty tough to call. Most of the bad gimmicks have been career killers. The Rock, Triple H, and Steve Austin got to tinker with their saddled gimmicks and became big draws.

The Rock went from smiling face, hand shaking goody-two-shoes hybrid of Rocky Johnson and Peter Maivia as Rocky Maivia to laying the smackdown as The Rock. Triple H went from snob Hunter Hearst Helmsley to The Game. Steve Austin went from the Ringmaster to Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Actually the really worst gimmicks are probably the ones that we don't remember. If you can't be famous, you can aspire to be infamous.

I always thought Terry Taylor could have had a very good career as a mid-carder but he went for the bucks and got to be the Red Rooster. He had some bad luck on that one because Curt Hennig got to be MR Perfect. I remember Rick Martel once saying in an interview he wasn't crazy about The Model gimmick but his wife convinced him because it could have been worse as to look what happened with the Red Rooster gimmick.

I think Mantaur is pretty obscure as unless you were watching WWF at that time you probably missed it.

I did think that Jim Niedhart wearing a mask and being Who instead of former tag champ Jim Niedhart made no sense or Al Snow wrestling as Avatar and wearing a mask and taking it off served no purpose.
  08-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
KoKO Beware lol
  08-11-2006, 11:01 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
Actually substitute the bird for a boom box and that snow cone colored hair he got in later years, the gimmick was pretty much his as he used the name in Memphis and Mid-South.

Also in his Memphis years he was a good worker and was even a main eventer.

Besides I liked the High Energy pants(another obscure reference) lol.