05-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
Just watching the last few weeks I see

-Vince McMahon as ECW World Champ (as if that title even means anything)
-Great Kahli fighting for the WWE Championship
-Edge doing the "exact" same storyline on Smackdown to win the World Belt as he did to Cena to win the WWE Belt
-TNA breaks away from the NWA and Angle/Sting/Cage essentially tie to win the belt so it will be upheld in a tournament

I mean god who the hell is booking/writing this crap!!

First of all if they wanted to make ECW worth a dang they would have put the title up in a round robin tourney and let the stars shine like CM Punk and RVD.

Second, I know the Undertaker was hurt but come on the ONLY thing they can think of to give the belt temporarily to someone is to rehash almost verbatim a storyline they did less than 2 years ago...and I mean VERBATIM (waiting till the champ is injured then cashing in the money in the bank to win)

and finally the WWE managed to make me a John Cena fan, I was against him and his stupid bling belt for more than 1 year but dangit they managed (or at least HBK putting him over made me) to make me a fan. And what do they do but bring in the Great Retard as the #1 contender?!? I mean good lord there are about 100 guys with more talent in their pinkie toe then this 7ft reject!

And then there is TNA...we dont have a really good disgust smiley or I would just use that to sum up my feelings on that turd of a promotion. How you botch having Sting and Kurt Angle in the same organization is beyond me.
  05-15-2007, 12:27 AM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
I stopped watching ecw 2 weeks after it started.
I couldnt stomach anymore. I caught a glimpse of Vince on there. Which is sure sign ECW is dead forever.

TNA uh....Why

Cena Still not a fan. Seen his character 1002 times in other variations from other upcoming wraslers over the years . Yawn...sigh..

To quote Men On Film " Hated it ."

WWE has dusty writing behind the scenes . But vince calls the shots.
So, so much for a good story line. Instead lets see more rehash of the worst matches ever made from the 90's lol. It reeks of Russo lol

05-15-2007, 12:52 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 614 posts since Jun 2005
Do Bears crap in the woods?....

I haven't watched it in so many years, I couldn't tell you who was even stars these days.I do however have to say a friend of mine sent me a clip of a character that was AWESOME.Not sure what organization he is in, but his name is "Black Machismo." He basically rips off Macho Man, but it's absolutely hilarious watching the guy, he's nailed MM's mannerisms, everything.
  05-15-2007, 03:55 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
I agree with you on most points, except liking John Cena, his character just really ets under my skin, and the spinning belt looks more and more like a toy, thus devaluing the prestidge of the WWE championship.

TNA is different than the WWE product that's for sure, by that I mean (generally) having a younger and more atheletic talent roster. That said, TNA reminds me of a more current or "suped up" version of the Bischoff-lead WCW of the late 1990's, with Jeff Jarrett playing the role of a morphed Mchmahon-Bischoff type of leader of TNA.

Pro-Wrestling is a business that goes through cycles of peaks and valleys, right now, it's in a period of time filled with more valleys than peaks. I'd expect however, that wrestling will weather this storm and rebound soon enough. They're (wrestlings) main competition isn't themselves, (WWE vs. TNA), but that of MMA, namely the UFC and PRIDE FC. MMA is a sport that continues to grow exponentially, with I suspect many wrestling fans shifting their PPV dollars toward the incresingly popular sport of MMA.

I for one am still a fan of pro-wrestling, but I find myself reserving my PPV dollars only for the big 4 WWE events (Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble, Summer Slam, and Survivor Series). Wrestling needs to beware, if it continues on ts present course, they, as well as its fans will bare witness to the industries demise.
  05-15-2007, 05:03 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
The only time I liked wrestling was when I was a kid in the 80s (WCCW, WWF). And then again in college in the late 90s (WWF). I've not really been a big fan in the "WWE" days, especially not recent years. I never much cared for WCW or TNA. (Nor ECW, for that matter.)

I almost got interested again when they had DX re-form last year, but it was pretty pathetic.

05-15-2007, 05:57 AM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: QB Challenge Champion

Stats: 1,045 posts since Jun 2005
the sad thing is most of these guys in the WWE have no mic skills. We were spoiled with the Rock and Stone Cold
  05-15-2007, 06:17 AM

Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cp32

I stopped watching ecw 2 weeks after it started.
I couldnt stomach anymore. I caught a glimpse of Vince on there. Which is sure sign ECW is dead forever.

TNA uh....Why

Cena Still not a fan. Seen his character 1002 times in other variations from other upcoming wraslers over the years . Yawn...sigh..

To quote Men On Film " Hated it ."

WWE has dusty writing behind the scenes . But vince calls the shots.
So, so much for a good story line. Instead lets see more rehash of the worst matches ever made from the 90's lol. It reeks of Russo lol

Actually, it was when Russo was with the WWE that the WWF/E enjoyed a high level of success. It was after Russo left the WWF/E, GOT A BIG HEAD, and "forgot" how to write a storyline that WCW went in to the crapper.

The problem with the WWE and the quality (or lack thereof), of their product and its storylines is that Vince hired a bunch of Hollywood script writers to write for his WWE. The problem there is that these scrip writers are not wrestling fans, nor have they ever worked closely with longtime wrestlers or bookers to understand the inticacies of the wrestling industry or its fans.

It won't be until Vince or Jarrett decide to hand over creative control to someone, or a group of people that have a passion for the business that the business will continue to struggle in their fight to garner the attention of their fans.
  05-15-2007, 06:23 AM

Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rmehta2

the sad thing is most of these guys in the WWE have no mic skills. We were spoiled with the Rock and Stone Cold
You're right Raman, that's why a Manager is so vital to a wrestlers carreer, especially in his/her early carreer.
  05-15-2007, 06:37 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
#&!! yes. it's been in the toilet. give me the days of jimmy golden, tojo yamamoto, armand hussein, cowboy bob kelly. those guys could kick i mean bodyslam some a$$. thanks stoogedog
  05-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Gramma of CPS

Wrestling hasn't been worth a crap since the late 70's - 80's . ECW was at its finest in the mid 90's.

Old school wraslin .If you wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel :P
  05-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Verified Member

I agree that the spinny belt blows, but when they dropped the "rapper" character and turned Cena into a Marine it started to win me over. He has come a long way and his mic skills have improved but he is no Rock or Austin. Still I quite enjoy the 5 knuckle shuffle a lot (similar to the pop Rock got for the rock bottom)

Once HHH went out and Shawn Micheals became a singles wrestler again the WWE was turning for the better, but right after Wrestlemania they took all that momentum and flushed it. Micheals is back jobbing, Cena is not being put over by anybody and now Edge is on another show. There is not a deep enough roster in the WWE to sustain their lack of creativity I think.

TNA, Russo and Jarret have just made it suck something awful. I cant watch it without thinking I am watching WCW circa 1993-94 (Before Nitro and before the NWO). Anybody who knows wrestling knows that WCW was at its worst from 1991-1994. Sting and Angle have the talent and the mic skills to be sooooo over its ridiculous, but yet its just a big cluster****. Guys like Christian Cage are not being utilized as well, and everything from their set design to their commmentators need replacing. I feel like its public access half the time.

There were 4 great era's in my opinion (modern anyway)

NWA/WCW Late 1986-1990 (Four Horseman, Sting, Lugar, and Dusty)
WWF Attitude/WCW 1995-1998 (Monday Night Wars, Nitro, Rock, Stone Cold, Jericho, Benoit)
ECW 1995-1997 -The greatest promos and stories every written in wrestling
WCCW 1983-1985 - Real wrestling and real emotion, hands down the basis of all current wrestling

If current wrestling could even come close to any of those would make me a happy camper
  05-15-2007, 10:59 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
No sir, never liked it.
  05-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 399 posts since Jun 2005
I don't know there were always periods like this. As bad as it has been at times it hasn't stopped people from going to the matches or ordering the pay per views. I remember around 93-95 it was pretty bad as WCW was drawing like 40 people in some towns and WWF had to show different camera angles to give the impression that they were still selling out. WWE is still making piles of money now, so until that changes and the ratings dives or attendance drops as long as people still watch what they are shilling expect the status quo.

The last few ppvs from WWE have been really good. It's their tv shows that are inconsistent. One week you got a great match with Chris Benoit vs MVP on Smackdown and John Cena vs Shawn Michaels wrestling an hour on Raw and the ECW originals wrestling each other in a match reminiscent of the past, but you have to balance that out with The Great Krappy, Bobby nobody gives a crap Lashley, Santino Marella, Snitzky, and a lot of other stuff that kills time.

Edge to me is like the Honky Tonk Man of the 80s he's a chickensh*%t heel champ who only wins through some loophole. You know Mr Kennedy would have won the belt if he didn't injure himself too. I still don't like John Cena. I hate his tinker toy looking belt. Probably I don't like him because the promotion is so in love with him. They seem determined to keep him as the champ until we change our mind. At least if he was a heel the booing would make sense.

I can never get into TNA. I've tried but the announcing, presentation, booking, and practically everything else comes off as second rate when compared to WWE. I think it's almost insulting to compare them as the number two promotion in the country when they seem like they should be lower on the list.

I hear you about the good talkers. As much as I like some like RVD and HBK, the Rock, Austin, Flair in his prime could talk circles around the current crew. I like the rumor about WWE being interested in bringing Chris Jericho back, to me he was the last great talker in the WWE.

As much as I miss the eras you mentioned there was pretty much good and bad stuff in every generation. Maybe a lot of it is waxing nostaligic or because you believed more than that a lot of the ridiculous stuff that is peddled these days are harder to swallow.

Everybody and a two year old knows wrestling is pre-determined so why aren't the most talented pushed. Anyone can see that Khali sucks except Vince Mcmahon because he grew up on pushing guys bigger than he and the dude is over six feet. Things don't look promising with Stephanie being his number 2. At least if Trips stays married the wrestling influence will still have to be there because we always have to hear about his love of Flair and Race. I guess it's better than if he liked brawlers like Bruno and Killer Kowalski.
  05-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Verified Member

I just finished reading Bishoff's "Controversy Creates Cash"

Anybody who is interested in the Monday Night Wars should read this, its very unbiased (I mean he does pat himself on the back some but realistically he should because he took Vince on legit).

I was very surprised to hear what they had planned when Russo infamously took the mic and got rid of Hogan (and the "real" lawsuit that happened after).

The book helps you understand why TNA is the piece of crap it is now, Russo is a virus and he killed WCW. Looking back at some of the stuff that was done during Russo's time there its obvious to see he was not completely the reason WWE/F turned around, his darker storylines helped but only in that it moved WWE/F from kid oriented to teen/adult. When left to his own devices he was an *** clown who took a failing WCW and threw it in its grave.

The most interesting part of the book solely revolves around the utter bullcrap that AOL caused, I mean reading this just makes you laugh because seeing today where Time Warner and AOL are at its amazing WCW last even that long after the merger!

Also I never knew the original deal that Bishoff had to buy WCW with money from Mandoley (the movie people), that was thrown out the window because TBS did not want anything on their networks wrestling related (and the reason why Vince could not buy WCW initially, it had nothing to do with money or rights but a TV deal with Viacom).
  05-23-2007, 09:30 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
I miss the old days of the NWA, (the days of the Starcades) it was cool before they ruined it with Hulk Hogan and the NWO.
  05-29-2007, 01:43 AM
Gramma of CPS

Wrestling is just sad these days. However, I do like CZW lately. Just reminds me of old ECW "No budget , blood , and insane ."
  06-09-2007, 11:14 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 89 posts since Jun 2005
There was a book written by R.D. Reynolds and Randy Baer titled "WrestleCrap: The Very Worst of Pro Wrestling." It is fantastic for reliving all those craptastic wrestling memories.