03-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
lookit this:
http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...STRK:MEWA:BIDN

(item: 200210164303)

look at all those zero rated "bidders."
who else here smells a rat?

so rule 82621 when buying things on ebay... when you see a zero rated buyer beefing up the bids (or even a zero rated seller doing the selling)... A.V.O.I.D.

mayhap one should avoid ebay altogether?
  03-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I mostly obey your last comment -- I simply avoid eBay now.

It was a good site some years ago. But now the place is mostly a wasteland of knock-offs, broken crap (or "as is" crap -- meaning broken), fakes, and overpriced items you can find cheaper on more legit sites (Amazon, for example). I've pretty much stopped my hobby-related buying (action figures) -- I filled my office, the space I allowed myself for my toys. So I've no reason to visit. I was mostly pissed 2-3 years ago when I saw my DVD sets being sold, so I long ago quit bothering.

Once in a great while, I find something small that I want -- such as an overstock USB Compaq mouse that I want, new, and for all of $9 shipped. Being on a budget, being so busy working, there's just no reason to go there. I'd only be tempted by something I can't afford, don't need, and don't have space for anyhow.

I did try to win a camera lens in December. I'm still pretty pissed about it. I put in a bid for $300. The auction went to $400+. I'd have been willing to do $350, after a bit more thought. The lens was $600 new. The winning bidder was a no-pay, so the auction closed for the previous high bid of $305. Had some jerk not gone on there, I'd be the proud owner of that camera lens, not the guy still looking for one. Non-payers are a big problem for BOTH buyer and seller.

I put in a bid for a VCR last month, won, and when it came time to ship, the seller discovered that the item was broken. Whether that was true is unknown. I put in $200 for it, which is about $25 over normal selling price. But since most auctions are bid wars, and she allowed me to Buy Now (changed the auction after an e-mail from me), I won with convenience of not wasting time in bidding and waiting for auction close. Luckily, I was allowed to borrow the deck I wanted from work, so I don't need to buy it anyway.

Then there was me selling my camera, and getting a great bid, only to have those bastards cancel the auction because "like new" is supposedly a "spam keyword". Complete asshats run that site.

I blame that c--t CEO Meg Whitman for it all going downhill. She's supposed to retire this month. Good riddance! I hope the door hits her in the butt on her way out.

But almost everything about eBay pisses me off.

03-30-2008, 02:55 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
i admit to buying stuff from ebay... but only when its cheapish.
say dvds for a few dollars or boxsets under $10.

this way, i either get a reasonably good buy or a small loss.
actually, so far, things have gone quite well.

all dvds i bought have been genuine, in good to great condition (minimum no scratches on the dvds), and have been shipped quickly.

i suppose its the luck of the draw and one day i'm going to get scammed.

caveat emptor as they say in rome.
  03-31-2008, 04:12 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 571 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to GreenRanger1
I buy stuff from ebay, as most of you know Im bad about searching ebay for old toys especially power ranger ones. I try to watch the people's feedback and watch what I spend prior to buying anything, but for old toys you just cant find them anywhere else.
  04-08-2008, 06:15 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 87 posts since Nov 2006
Send a message via AIM to Keano Send a message via MSN to Keano
Site has gone very downhill over the last couple of years. Every other seller is a bad one. Last ten items I would say 6 or 7 have been bad expereinces. Also with fees so high, its very hard to make money like I have in the past. Ebay fees and then paypal make it crazy.
  04-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Gramma of CPS

Stats: 4,271 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to cp32
I swear some of the buyers on ebay are total tards.

I got a 7 day suspension for error in my listing. They thought my Retail Vhs Box set of Black Adder was a bootleg. I got suspended. I sold a few other items . Well to avoid any problems. I contacted each person let them know what was going on. Not to worry. Only suspended for 7 days. Their item was already shipped. Gave them confirmation numbers.

What happens. This moron files a dispute with paypal said they never recieved their tape.
Confirmation shows as delivered right. So this person figured I m suspended. He/she can get a refund. Helloooooooooooooooooo... you idiot! See that little tag on your package. Thats a confirmation number'
It shows you got it LOL

Here's another I laughed my *** off.

Again sent everyone email stating what i said above. Not the idiot part.
7 day suspension. Your package was shipped. etc

His reply in the same email

" Whats going on. It says your not registered user. Am I getting screwed?"
ROTFLMAO!!!

(Do you know how to read Johnny? scroll DOWN!!!! LOL)

My reply

Didnt you read the message below?
Temp not permanent.7 days only

Lets be realistic about this.
If was going to scam you.

1: Would I have taken the time to email you ?
2: Risk mail fraud over 9.00 -minus shipping & gas to the post office =4.00 - ebay & paypal fees LOL 3.25

If I was to going con anyone. It wouldnt be for a lousy 3.00 lmao !

Now I remember why I stopped using ebay lol