Go Back   TVPast Forums > TV Collector Resources > Buy TV: Shopping Deals and Tips

06-11-2008, 06:32 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, big lots is got alot of dvds especially hob series and specials for $3.00. i went by our local big lots and picked up 20 dvds. thanks stoogedog
  06-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I usually check both Big Lots and Dollar General and neither had anything good two days ago. It really depends on your location, I guess. Some of you are lucky, some are not. My location has furniture, for example, really nice stuff.

06-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 862 posts since Jun 2005
what is hob series
  06-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I think he meant "HBO series".
  06-03-2009, 12:12 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
Check on Thursdays, my local store said they get stuff in on Tuesdays and have it all out by Thursday so ask your individual stores when they put their movies out, they get movies once a week.
  06-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
Thanks for the tip. I made a special trip across town just to go to Big Lots. I bought 20 DVDs. I even got TMNT (The Original Series) Vol. 4 for $2. After I got home, I discovered that I bought a DVD that I already have.

Last edited by bigk181; 06-04-2009 at 03:02 PM.
  06-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Verified Member

I returned 4 DVDs because the bar code on them was cut through to the case. Please be aware of this when checking out the $3 DVDs at Big Lots. I don't know if others care about that but I'm anal about the condition of things.
  06-06-2009, 02:52 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
that's how they got a deal on them, these are dvds that were messed up during the manufacturing process, rather than trashing the discs and taking a total loss on them they offer them to retailers at a fraction of the normal cost. If you look through the dvds at Big Lots, usually you can find ones that aren't as messed up as others.

I tend to replace the covers on my 'snapper' cases anyway to keep things consistent on my shelf.

Back when ADV was offering a lot of their older stuff at a deal through their website, their dvds would have a hole drilled through the upc bar code, I guess to denote that these were seperate from the ones that were repackaged in the slimcases. This was when they were changing formats from the big fat alpha cases to the slimpacks and they were cleaning out old stock.

You can also find case art at some of the cover forums as well as cdcovers for replacement covers as well as custom covers from some of the High Res cover sites. Any way a deal is a deal and 3 bucks is not bad at all.
  06-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Verified Member

I may have taken back 4 of them but I still ended up with 16 DVDs at a great deal. Those cases are in good condition. I looked for different copies of the ones I returned but I only found more copies for 2 of the movies. Those copies were damaged too. Oh well, I still got a good deal on the rest of them.