Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Reality TV: Sports, Gameshows, Non-Fiction

09-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
After nearly a year of legal battles the UFC and Randy Couture announced Tuesday that they have come to terms and that the heavyweight champion will return to action within the Octagon November 15th in Las Vegas, NV where he will defend his belt against Brock Lesnar.

"We've resolved them all," White said of the issues between the organization and Couture during a media teleconference. "He's always been the heavyweight champion of the UFC. ... All I care about is that [Couture] is back and fighting."

Couture last defended his title in August of 2007 with a TKO win over Gabriel Gonzaga. But several months later he announced his "resignation" from the UFC with an intention to wait until his contract expired in order to fight Pride heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko — who did not sign with the UFC after the organization's parent company, Zuffa, LLC, purchased the promotion in 2007 — in another organization.

At the time and throughout the months that would follow, White and the UFC maintained that Couture's contract required his next two fights to be with them. At the time Couture also said that he was tired of "swimming up stream" against UFC management and cited a lack of respect on their part for him in various forms as a big factor in his attempting to leave and fight elsewhere.

When the UFC was not able to secure Fedor under contract to fight Couture it seemed as if the champion felt no reason to continue in what was a frustrating situation for him. But now Couture says that all the issues between he and the UFC have been dealt with sufficiently for him to return to action with them.

"We cleared the air and addressed the issues. We are both in different places (then we were then); both the company and myself," he said.

And though Couture says that he's coming back simply because he "loves fighting," it's clear that he's also hoping fighting Lesnar and anyone else will be a means to the end of fighting Fedor.

"There were some compromises on both sides. I know that the UFC is working diligently to make the Fedor fight happen. ... There are a lot of variables but we are both happy," he said.

Continuing with the UFC has emerged as the "path of least resistance," according to Couture. "(Fighting Lesnar) is certainly a step in the right direction, absolutely," he continued. "I'd rather be fighting Fedor in November but I think we are on the right road, headed in that direction. With any luck. ... we'll get there."

As for White, he said that he would "have to be stupid" to not want to sign Emelianenko eventually but emphasized that he would not interfere with any existing contracts the Russian is currently tied to. Though White does not seem to think that any interference with his competition is necessary.

"I'm not going to do anything. ... (Fedor) is under contract with these guys," White said in reference to the Affliction promotion where Fedor fought his last bout — a win over former UFC champion Tim Sylvia. "These guys are dying on the vine. They'll be gone in a few months and then Fedor will have to fight here. You are not under contract anymore when your company goes out of business."

White said that Couture's full UFC heavyweight belt will be on the line when he fights Lesnar in November but also that Interim titleholder Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira and Frank Mir's previously scheduled title bout will still carry championship weight. Nogueira and Mir are currently filming the eigth season of The Ultimate Fighter reality series during which they are coaching opposite one another.

White clarified that the two will still face one another after the season airs for Nogueira's belt in December as planned prior. The winner of that fight will be the Interim heavyweight champion and will face the winner of Couture/Lesnar in 2009.

"It's an interesting tournament we have now," White said.

Indeed, but how likely is it that Couture, who admits to still wanting to fight Fedor most, will not be as interested in the whole process and overlook Lesnar? Not very according to the champio
  09-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
hell ya good news to me
  09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
This is going to be awesome. I don't know if Lesnar is ready to fight the champ after 1 victory though. If lesnar wins, it will be by knockout. Both are good wrestlers but I think the submission edge has to go to Couture. I hope Lesnar wins.

09-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Hey, did you guys see UFC 88? Man, I couldn't believe the Liddell/Evans fight!
  09-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MagnificentMarcus

Hey, did you guys see UFC 88? Man, I couldn't believe the Luddell/Evans fight!
I know, what a lucky hit from Evans.
  09-10-2008, 11:01 PM

I always thought Evans has been lucky! I personally thought he would get his a-- kicked, but I'm starting to wonder if I misjudged his talent. I do find it strange that Evans fought Tito to a draw which I felt he lost, but Liddell destroyed Tito.

All I can say is it there was no question it was a knockout with Liddell! He was out!
  09-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 707 posts since Jun 2005
I saw that match. I knew for a fact that it was going to end in knockout just didn't know who would win. I do have to say that when Evans knocks out someone he really knocks them out. Can't wait to see his next fight against Forrest.
  09-11-2008, 02:42 AM

Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Simon Champion
Stats: 285 posts since Jun 2005
i have never seen ufc, is it real or fake like wwf ?
  09-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
are u serious?? its real
  09-11-2008, 05:42 AM

I don't think he'll be fighting Forrest! I think a match up between Evans and Rampage/Jardine/ or Silva is coming. Rampage TKO'ed Liddell, of course Liddell lost to Keith Jardine too! I really thought Liddell would crush him!

PS-D.Smyth where have you been living, in a cave??(LOL) Never heard of UFC?????
  09-11-2008, 07:18 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
He lives in UK, and UFC is very much an "American only" type of activity. I don't know if I'd call it a "sport" when people just beat the crap out of each other. It's like boxing -- i.e., it's real and painful -- but it uses many martial arts and fighting styles. It's not fake like wrestling, but a number of wrestlers travel back and forth between UFC/MMA type events and the fake (but better paying) WWE.

09-11-2008, 07:45 AM
Verified Member

I like Jardine. I saw him beat the snot out of Forrest. He pounded Forrest's head up and down off the mat like a basketball.
  09-11-2008, 07:46 AM
Verified Member

The UK has Bisbing. Him and Levan wiill be fighting next.