06-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Dodge Ball Champion
Stats: 658 posts since Jul 2008
I've noticed that some people don't like to write on their DVDs with a marker. I've seen titles written on the clear part of the DVD around the hole in the center of the DVD, on the paper sleeves they're sent in, and on small sticky notes attached to the DVD.

I understand why some people do this. It is believed that the solvents in the ink will eventually corrode through the DVD and make the DVD unreadable. I wanted to tell you that there is a better solution to this problem. I like to use a black solvent free DVD Marker because the ink won't corrode the DVD over time. I've been using these markers for a while now and I'm happy with them.

The bottom of the marker can be removed and there is another tip on the bottom that you can write with. Unfortunately, I didn't discover this until after I threw away a couple markers. Another thing I discovered is that DVDs with a printable surface for use in DVD printers will drain the ink in these markers really fast, for some reason. So I suggest that you avoid those DVDs unless you have a DVD printer.

I buy them on ebay because it's cheaper than the ones on amazon.com.

http://shop.ebay.com/items/__Delkin-...&_sop=15&_sc=1

Here's an amazon.com listing that will help fund this site. Be aware that the shipping prices for these markers on amazon.com are ridiculous.

http://www.amazon.com/Archival-Gold-...5636705&sr=8-5
  06-23-2009, 02:16 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 482 posts since Jun 2005
A good find, thanks very much.
  06-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
This is such a scam. Not a legally-defined scam, of course, but a product that is sold simply because people are gullible enough to buy it. It's about as useful as a "DVD rewinder". The polycarbonate upper layer of a DVD cannot be "eaten by acid", as is the old wive's tale involved in this particular case. A CD would may be more susceptible, due to the exposure of the foil layer, but lab tests have shown it's all a bunch of hooey.

I love Sharpie ultra-fine and extra-fine markers, and they're as safe as can be.

All you need is a good marker, one that writes how you like.

Very true, FYI, inkjet media is made to absorb ink, so it will not only drain the tip quickly, it becomes hard to write with. The ink is literally sucked into the disc surface faster than it can go from the well to the tip of the marker. Some are worse than others, depends on exact disc.
  06-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I use printable media and just print text on the discs or my cover art.