09-07-2009, 01:27 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
There's a pretty good editorial over at TV.com, mentioning how Syfy (what a stupid name ) is trying to get even further away from science fiction genre programming.

Quote:
More like Sci-Fry! The genre channel is rumored to be exploring more reality fare, including a chat show and a culinary show.

Hello, and welcome to another edition of TV.com Whines About Poor Programming Decisions by a Network We Fear is Going Down the Tubes. Today we'll be discussing one of our favorites, SciFi Channel SyFy, which is in the process of "redefining" itself -- much like a post-pubescent woman does upon entering high school.

That is, it sacrifices substance and forgets where it came from in an attempt to get more attention. And SyFy's version of a cleavage-baring tube top and high heels is (possibly) a foray into cooking and talk shows. To this we say, "SyFy, stop being such a damn slut!"

According to an article on the all-things-science-fiction blog io9, a "source" -- who's had meetings with the soul-crushing suits that run the new SyFy -- claims the network is looking at developing a cooking show and a talk show, thus further separating itself from the realm of the nerds.

This is both incredibly shocking and totally unsurprising. We all saw this coming with the universally hated re-branding of SciFi Channel as SyFy. Genre channels don't want to stay genre channels anymore -- not in an age of mega-mergers like NBC/Universal (which owns SyFy), AOL/Time Warner, and KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut, where watering down tastes can maximize profit and minimizing the niche is the order of the day. Why serve one audience well when you can slap some mediocrity on a platter and serve it to the masses?

There are something like 4 billion cable and satellite channels out there, being beamed and streamed via orbiting robots and vines of coaxial cable. Is it too much to ask for one channel to devote itself to one of the most sacred genres in television? Apparently so.

Mark Stern, SyFy's original programming VP, said this to io9: "In regards to reality, we're developing all sorts of ideas, and there is an opportunity to push the envelope a bit with the new brand; to see where 'Imagine Greater' might take us. That said, as with our scripted programming, anything we do needs to fit within a speculative genre, and the idea that we're celebrating the imagination. So, if we were to do a 'cooking show,' it definitely wouldn't be a normal, conventional cooking show."

SyFy does have reality shows, which include Ghost Hunters and its kin. But no one would argue that Ghost Hunters still falls under the science-fiction umbrella. And I would rather watch hours of Mansquito and Boa vs. Python than a minute of a show where some goon dresses up as a Vulcan and teaches me how to toss a Romulan Salad (snicker).

Suddenly, the sci-fi lite Warehouse 13 looks a lot better.
from http://www.tv.com/story/17751.html?t...spot;gumball;1
  09-07-2009, 08:10 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
I myself would like to se some of the older classics come back to the sci fi channel (it will always be sci fi to me) in their entire runs not just a group of episodes to be used as fillers. Either that or split the channels and make one for the classics and one for the new stuff.

Have any of you ever watched the chiller channel, they play the exact same thing as the Sci Fi channel in their line up. I just wonder if NBC owns this channel as well, because alot of sci fi's stuff is popping up over there, if that's the case then I can see why they are doing it. Two stations at one time playing the same stuff.

For you that get the Monster channel, is it any good. I believe it is on Dish Network, not sure.
  09-08-2009, 12:01 AM
Verified Member

Arcade Wins: Skate Boarder Champion
Stats: 3,625 posts since Oct 2006
Send a message via ICQ to konfusion Send a message via AIM to konfusion Send a message via MSN to konfusion Send a message via Yahoo to konfusion
monsters hd died in jan
  09-09-2009, 11:16 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 332 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to hordeprime
I suppose cooking is just as "syfy" (snicker snicker) as wrestling.
  09-09-2009, 11:39 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
Yeah, I wish they would show a mix of the old Scifi shows (going back decades) and new stuff - shitcan the cooking, wrestling and other non-scifi crap. But probably ain't going to happen.
  07-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
There was an article about this just yesterday in the USA Today. It's becoming more of a trend, and TV networks are starting to lose the identity.
  07-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I've grown sick of all the Ghost Hunters stuff. I used to like that show until they sold out. I'll take Ghost Adventurers any day over Ghost Hunters.