TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, SciFi, Westerns (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sitcoms-drama-scifi/)
-   -   Are These UK Sitcoms Any Good? British TV Comedy Suggestions? (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sitcoms-drama-scifi/20044-uk-sitcoms-good.html)

lordsmurf 05-07-2012 01:39 AM

Are These UK Sitcoms Any Good? British TV Comedy Suggestions?

I was looking at somebody's collection list, and saw these:
  • Ain't Half Hot Mum
  • Fawlty Towers
  • Only Fools & Horses
  • The Detectives
  • The Thin Blue Line
Curious what anybody thought of these?
I like 2000s British comedy, comedy/dramas, dramas, and comedy/scifi, like
  • New Tricks
  • Doctor Who
  • Torchwood
  • Law & Order UK
  • Dirk Gently
  • The Ricky Gervais Show
  • An Idiot Abroad
--- But would I like the pre-2000s shows up top? :confused:

Weigh in with those opinions, please! :)

manthing 05-07-2012 02:26 AM

of course it all depends on the individual... but here's my tuppence:

It Ain't Half Hot Mum - so so comedy from the 70s. probably won't tickle your funny bones enough.

Fawlty Towers - it is funny if you like madcap / slapstick sort of comedy. definitely a UK fav from years ago.

Only Fools & Horses - another good comedy show. it is not full-on comedy as it adds a bit of family drama - ie it can pull the heart strings. you might need to understand a bit of cockney to get through the shows.

The Dectectives - hmm, i found it so-so. jasper carrott is better as a stand-up comedian and robert powell is terrible here. he was pretty good as jesus (of nazareth).

The Thin Blue Line - another one i found a bit so-so. despite having rowan atkinson, this isn't as good as blackadder (or even mr. bean).

if you like a bit of political comedy, i recommend "yes minister" and "yes prime minister" from yesteryear and "the thick of it" from more recent times.

manthing 05-07-2012 02:32 AM

the best idea for you is to catch 5 mins worth of each on youtube or similar and judge for yourself.

grillgoil43 05-07-2012 03:17 AM

I love Fawlty Towers...but I also love most anything with a Pythoner in it! I think John Cleese is great as Basil Fawlty.

This one it's on your list but I recently caught a clip of "Mrs. Brown's Boys" on Youtube...I thought it was hysterical--but I get a real kick out of slapstick. I'd really like to get hold of a set of this one if anyone has it available.

repeatshistory 05-07-2012 03:33 PM

I'd have to disagree with you manthing, when it comes to 'Thin Blue Line'. It is SUBSTANTIALLY better than Mr. Bean. Honestly, it really comes off as 'Blackadder V' to me, just with different character names, and no Baldrick. :)

And as for if you'd like pre-2000s stuff, LS, I'd say absolutely. Fawlty Towers is a classic, the rest are, at worst, entertaining. :) And if you haven't watched the 'classic' era of Dr. Who you are truly missing out.

davidflecha17 05-07-2012 11:56 PM

I recommend One Foot in the Grave. It's a comedy with senior citizens but its funny and clever.

manthing 05-09-2012 12:28 AM

"to the manor born" is reasonably good - the 2 main characters do carry the show quite well.

manthing 05-10-2012 08:28 AM

few others for you to have a look-see:

Rising Damp
The Young Ones
Bottom
Just Good Friends
Auf Wiedersehen, Pet
The New Statesman
Hot Metal
Rab C. Nesbitt
Desmond's

SavageAmusement 05-11-2012 11:00 PM

the IT CROWD- have you seen this, fabulous. I think right up your alley.
I watched all of the Dirk Gently's as I had read the books, and saw the pilot movie- Liked them all. His quirky ways reminded me gntly of Doctor Who (the current) character/concept.

Torchwood is good, in my opinion..so is Being Human

And have you seen Extras ? speaking of Ricky Gervais...
I was not a fan of thin blue line, but I am assuming you have seen Black Books by now? You must..really.

IT Crowd tho, truly is awesome lol.

manthing 05-12-2012 02:13 AM

Drop the Dead Donkey is quite good - a bit sharp / biting.

The Worst Week of My Life is also funny.
1st series was better than 2nd.

Nighty Night is also worth a look - a dark sitcom.

James Langford 05-13-2012 10:43 AM

Hello: Taste is a very subjective thing. Conversely, Fawlty Towers has been rated the number one British Comedy for decades. It is my absolute favorite along with Blackadder and a few others close behind but I think you'll find Fawlty Towers an amusing series, to be sure.

manthing 05-15-2012 03:53 AM

max and paddy's road to nowhere - starring and written by Peter Kay and Patrick McGuinness - it should be funny/crazy enough to tickle your funny bones.

heehawnut 06-01-2012 09:32 PM

Doctor in the house was a great show, about the same time as Fawlty towers.

Vintrus 06-04-2012 06:46 AM

Here is Vintrus list of suggestions listed by genre

Drama/Action
The Saint

Scifi
Doctor Who Classic series a must
The Prisoner
jekyll

Comedy
Are You Being Served?
Fawlty Towers
The Goodies
Keeping Up Appearances
The League of Gentlemen
Mr. Bean
Python
Red Dwarf
Yes Prime minister & Yes Minister

manthing 06-08-2012 02:09 AM

Coupling is quite good.
The show centres on the dating and sexual adventures and mishaps of six friends in their thirties, often depicting the three women and the three men each talking among themselves about the same events, but in entirely different terms.

lordsmurf 06-08-2012 08:29 AM

Yep, I have Coupling. :cool:

This is my full list of British TV Shows:
  • Absolutely Fabulous
  • An Idiot Abroad
  • Body Farm
  • Coupling
  • Dirk Gently
  • Doctor Who
  • Doctor Who Confidential
  • Exile
  • Extras
  • Field of Blood
  • Hacks
  • How TV Ruined Your Life
  • Injustice
  • Law and Order UK
  • Luther
  • Monroe
  • New Tricks
  • Outcasts
  • Planet Dinosaur
  • Primeval
  • Sarah Jane Adventures
  • Secret Diary of A Call Girl
  • Sherlock
  • The Fades
  • The Hour
  • The Shadow Line
  • Torchwood

Richard 06-08-2012 11:55 AM

No one has mentioned "The Darling Buds of May." I have it on 5 DVDs but couldn't get past the first episode.

wayshway 07-24-2012 12:56 PM

What?? No Black Books?
This by far is one of the best BBC comedies EVER!!

The new Sherlock series is excellent too.
Doctor Who Coupling
Jekyll
Red Dwarf