Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, Scifi, Westerns

08-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 684 posts since Apr 2007
Courtesy of digitalspy.co.uk

Quote:
'Bottom' spinoff confirmed by Ade Edmondson, Rik Mayall

Adrian Edmondson and Rik Mayall have confirmed that they are working on a spinoff of classic BBC Two comedy Bottom.

The duo scored a big hit with the violent slapstick comedy show between 1991 and 1995. Based around two flatmates on the dole, Richie and Eddie, it ran for three series.

Hooligan's Island was originally a live show spinoff from the series, but Edmondson tweeted earlier this week that the pair had reunited to write together for the first time in 10 years.

"We are trying to write a series of Hooligan's Island - basically Richie and Eddie marooned on a desert island," he said.

The pair took Bottom onto the big screen in 1999 when they starred in Guest House Paradiso.

Mayall and Edmondson began working together in the '80s on the standup circuit and went on to achieve huge success as a duo on TV comedies such as The Young Ones and Comic Strip Presents....

BBC Two controller Janice Hadlow is expected to confirm details of the series at the Edinburgh TV Festival later today.

source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...ik-mayall.html
Awesome!!! the boys are back in town

Quote:
TV'Bottom' reunion, Mitchell and Webb, Sue Perkins comedies for BBC Two

BBC Two controller Janice Hadlow has announced a new list of shows at the Media Guardian Edinburgh TV Festival, including a comedy drama for Mitchell and Webb, a reunion for classic sitcom Bottom and a new self-penned sitcom from Great British Bake Off host Sue Perkins.

Hadlow also revealed at the festival that she was still searching for pre-watershed family comedies to replace Miranda on the channel.

Digital Spy revealed earlier today (August 23) that Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson were reuniting for a spinoff of their '90s hit Bottom, titled Hooligan's Island.

Based on the Bottom Live show, it features the programme's classic characters Richie Richard and Eddie Hitler, who have found themselves shipwrecked on a tropical hell hole.

The violent slapstick that made the original TV series famous is still prominent and a full six-episode run has been confirmed for 2013.

David Mitchell and Robert Webb's new show Our Men is based on the lives and loves of the British Embassy team in Tazbekistan.

Mitchell plays Keith Davis, the newly appointed British Ambassador of Tazbekistan, while Webb is cast as Neil Tilly, Deputy Head of Mission. A description of the show claims that the two leads are "far more likely to be drinking lethal vodka in the President's hunting yurt than having G&Ts on the lawn".

Meanwhile, Sue Perkins will branch out into the world of sitcoms with Heading Out, a show about incredible veterinarian Sara, who is struggling to tell her parents that she's gay. On the eve of her 40th birthday, Sara is warned by her friends that she has six weeks to tell her parents or they will tell them.

Heading Out will have a six episode run.

source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...r-bbc-two.html
  08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I've never heard of it, but in the age of torrents, I've been able to enjoy a number of UK-only -- not even available on BBC America -- shows. This summer's Dead Boss was good, for example.

Having a proxy server in UK has been nice, too. I can access all the "UK only" web content now.
  08-24-2012, 01:43 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
bottom is class but it all depends on your personal tastes. it is not mainstream comedy. it is slapstick, but violent slapstick. you have 2 twits - like dumb & dumber - and they beat ten-bells out of each other. MD & i find it funny. maybe its a Brit thing - quirkly sense of humour?
  09-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Cool, I'm a fan of the original
  10-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 684 posts since Apr 2007
Courtesy of digitalspy.co.uk

Quote:
Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson scrap new 'Bottom' series 'Hooligan's Island'

Ade Edmondson has revealed that he and Rik Mayall have ditched plans to revive sitcom Bottom in a new TV series called Hooligan's Island.

The planned reunion was announced in August, with a six-episode run of a series based on the popular Bottom live show confirmed for next year.

However, Edmondson has now told BBC Radio Essex in an interview that the show has been scrapped, reports Radio Times.

He revealed: "There isn't a Bottom series four. There isn't anything. [Rik and I] started working on something and we realised why we stopped working together. It wasn't working."

He added: "I'm aware that people think comedy's easy to do and write and everything, and it relatively is to be honest.

"But once you get to a certain age you want to do things you really enjoy, not just things you can do."

A BBC spokesman confirmed that the series would no longer be going ahead, but declined to comment further.

source: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/...ns-island.html
I'm gutted