TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, SciFi, Westerns (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sitcoms-drama-scifi/)
-   -   Sci-Fi Cancels Stargate SG-1, Renews Atlantis (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sitcoms-drama-scifi/4437-sci-fi-cancels.html)

markatisu 08-22-2006 12:23 AM

Sci-Fi Cancels Stargate SG-1, Renews Atlantis

SG-1 Ends Run; Atlantis Back

SCI FI Channel confirmed that it will not renew its record-breaking original series Stargate SG-1 for another season, but will pick up its spinoff series Stargate Atlantis for a fourth year. SG-1 aired its 200th episode on Aug. 18, and the SF series is the longest-running SF show on American television.

SCI FI issued the following statement on Aug. 21: "SCI FI Channel is proud to be the network that brought Stargate SG-1 to its record-breaking 10th season. Ten seasons and 215 episodes is an astounding, Guinness World Record-setting accomplishment. Stargate is a worldwide phenomenon. Having achieved so much over the course of the past 10 years, SCI FI believes that the time is right to make this season their last on the channel. SCI FI is honored to have been part of the Stargate legacy for five years, and we look forward to continuing to explore the Stargate universe with our partners at MGM through a new season of Stargate Atlantis."

Stargate SG-1, developed for television by executive producers Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner, is based on the 1994 feature film Stargate. SG-1, which originally starred Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Shanks, Amanda Tapping and Christopher Judge, began on Showtime, then moved to SCI FI after five seasons. The current cast includes Tapping, Shanks and Judge and newcomers Ben Browder, Claudia Black and Beau Bridges. It airs Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

MagnificentMarcus 08-22-2006 01:29 AM

Poor, Ben Browder and Claudia Black! They just keep getting cancelled by the Sci-Fi Channel.

lordsmurf 08-22-2006 02:14 AM

I knew it was coming someday soon. While the show is going great and the fans are as happy as ever, the people involved in creating it (writers, producers, directors, crew, cast) have long been growing tired and wanting to move on to other things, and some already have. I think Chris Judge (Teal'c) is the only one who has no problem doing the show forever and ever.

I thought it would be an 11th season before it happened, but who knows. I'm curious if SG-1 will wrap up the current stories, or if they'll spin into Atlantis somehow. I also have to wonder if Daniel Jackson (Michael Shanks) will go to Atlantis or not.

Atlantis probably has another good 2 years in it. I'd be surprised if it went on longer. Hopefully it will.

lordsmurf 08-22-2006 02:20 AM

Actually, read this:
http://gateworld.net/news/2006/08/co...ll_go_on.shtml

Quote:

quote:
Don't count Stargate SG-1 out just yet. Though SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running series (story), the show's producers are hard at work looking for a new outlet for the story to continue, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.

"As far as the future I can't comment yet because nothing has been confirmed," Cooper said. "What we want to emphasize is that the franchise is not dying. SG-1 will go on in some way. We're just not ready to announce how."

A formal announcement from the studio and the network is expected later this week.

Cooper also emphasizes that, though emotions are running high among Stargate fans who have just learned the news, it is important to keep the show's ratings strong throughout the remainder of its run on SCI FI. "What's most important is that fans don't take out their frustration with SCI FI by not watching," he said. "In fact, what they need to do is watch both SG-1 and Atlantis LIVE and make sure the ratings stay strong.

"That helps prove to other outlets that might be interested in SG-1 that the show is still as strong as we think it is."

Could Stargate SG-1 find its way to yet another network in 2007? Or might the SG-1 team be headed for a TV movie, mini-series, direct-to-video feature ... or the big screen? Stay with GateWorld for the latest developments.
I think the 200th episode was a hint that a feature movie was going to be released.

allaboutduncan 08-22-2006 04:29 AM

I was just going to comment I heard 1 or 2 theatrical movies were going to be made, possibly involving the original creators as well.

Padre2 08-22-2006 04:30 AM

Maybe Browder and Black will transfer to Atlantis? It would be a shame to lose them, they're both fun to watch!

WEW3 08-22-2006 09:16 AM

I actually like Atlantis better, but I hate when any network tries to kiss a show's butt while giving it the heave ho. They did it with Angel, they did it with Farscape, and they did it with 7th Heaven( well almost, why this show gets a second chance is beyond me :)

debwalsh 08-22-2006 10:25 AM

Actually, Dean Devlin's been trying to drum up interest in a sequel to the original Stargate movie for years, with no luck. He's never had anything to do with the SG-1 or Atlantis franchises. There has been talk of a Stargate SG-1 film since at least season 5.

Personally, I think a lot of the ratings decline has to do with the absence of Richard Dean Anderson - he's a huge fan favorite. His guest appearances last season tended to be pretty pointless, so I suspect a lot of fans have given up on the show. There's definitely been backlash in the online fan community. It's a pity, as I think the show still has a lot of mileage left. I personally really like Ben Browder (in anything he does), and I adore Claudia Black. I've liked her since I first saw her as Cassandra on Hercules the Legendary Journeys. I find it hard to imagine Friday night without Amanda Tapping, though. I could do without the Ori, though.

Hmm, Diamond Select just released their first wave of SG-1 figures - absolutely gorgeous. Wave 2 is Teal'c, Carter and Thor - the Replicator Carter is to die for. Wave 3 is supposed to be Mitchell, Vala, and the Ori Prior - I wonder now if they'll ever be made. Although the Buffy and Angel figure franchise is still going strong, and those shows have been off the air for multiple years now.

MagnificentMarcus 09-19-2006 02:26 AM

Does anyone know if they are going to finish out the rest of the eps on Sci-Fi? I just seen a promo saying this Friday is the season finale of SG-1.

lordsmurf 09-19-2006 02:44 AM

They always call mid-season the season finale. It starts back up in Jan-Feb. They've already started filming the second half of S10, so it'd be strange if they quit without airing the remaining episodes. I doubt that will happen.

debwalsh 09-19-2006 03:22 AM

SciFi has already committed to complete this season of Stargate, and they've said that at least some characters will cross over to Atlantis. Apparently part of the philosophy of cancelling the show so early in the season was to allow the production team to tie up the series at the end of this run, something that SciFi was heavily criticized for preventing when they cancelled Farscape just as it was wrapping filming on the fourth season.

lordsmurf 09-19-2006 04:46 AM

And Sliders.

debwalsh 09-19-2006 08:44 AM

Whoever criticized SciFi for cancelling Sliders after that last season?