TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Scripted TV: Sitcoms, Dramas, SciFi, Westerns (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sitcoms-drama-scifi/)
-   -   Anyone watch soap operas? (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/sitcoms-drama-scifi/4455-watch-soap-operas.html)

WEW3 08-24-2006 07:27 AM

Anyone watch soap operas?

I've casually watched them for years. When I was growing up, my mom, grandmother, and aunt used to watch them. When I was sick from school I used to watch the gameshows, soaps, and the talk shows like Merv Griffen and Mike Douglas.

When I was going to college I got hooked on Another World. When my mom got really ill and was at the hospital they left the tv on the ABC shows and I got into All My Children.

These days I must have over two hundred stations and when I can't find anything to watch I tend to watch Soapnet and watch the soaps.

I like the writing on Young & the Restless and hate the writing on most every other show but I'm still watching All My Children.

markatisu 08-24-2006 07:33 AM

Been watching Young and the Restless for 12 years now.

And I watch Soapnet for 90210 and Melrose Place, have seen each to completion several times lol

WEW3 08-24-2006 07:45 AM

So what do you think of the complaints of some fans that the Fishers/Baldwins get too much airtime on Y&R. Gloria and her bug out eyes in every scene kills me. I actually like the Kevin Fisher stuff, even though I know a lot of fans hate him.

markatisu 08-24-2006 08:18 AM

I dont mind it, I mean when I first started getting into it 10 years ago it was the Newmans on 24/7. I am a super fan of Sharon Case so I always enjoy the Nick/Sharon saga's so as you can guess I am not real content with whats going on now.

Its amazing to me on Y&R how people can forget things but then again thats soaps in general.

WEW3 08-24-2006 08:30 AM

I do give Y&R credit for one thing. If someone has a secret it's going to come out at some point. Even if it takes a decade for that to happen. I like Sharon Case and Michelle Stafford so doesn't bother me either way. I think Sharon is coming off kinda whiny which is funny since you generally feel sorry for the person that was done wrong, but I've been annoyed with her lately. And I got to learn a new word... reliquary, unfortunately I still don't know how to spell it. lol

cp32 08-24-2006 11:57 PM

Passions is funny as hell lol

WEW3 08-25-2006 09:11 AM

I hate Passions. NBC got rid of a 35 year old show like Another World so they could own a soap like Passions. I was shocked when I heard there was 5 million dollars in budget cuts for this show. The show doesn't even look like it's worth that much and it's special effects don't even look that special ;)

markatisu 08-25-2006 09:24 AM

"I think Sharon is coming off kinda whiny which is funny since you generally feel sorry for the person that was done wrong"

Whats funny is in the past she always whined and you wanted to just smack her to come to her sense and either leave Nick or get some balls. Now I just want her to shut up, she is pretty to look at but god I think her child on the show Noah whines less [:p]

And shouldnt the woman on that show all have STD's or something, I mean Phyliss has been with every man to some degree.

Any story like with Neil and Dru just bores me, their kids stories are even boring lol. I was not a fan when both the characters of Malcom and Olivia went away.

I have always wondered though would they replace Victor with another actor when the time comes or do you think they would actually kill him off out of respect?

WEW3 08-25-2006 09:46 AM

And shouldnt the woman on that show all have STD's or something, I mean Phyliss has been with every man to some degree.

That's a little sexist, the guys should be getting the clap too[88]

I have always wondered though would they replace Victor with another actor when the time comes or do you think they would actually kill him off out of respect?

I'm not sure, they killed John after he was on for a long time.
I think he is pretty much considered the icon of the show though. Heck he's one of the few soap actors that has input in his characters which is pretty much unheard of on the other shows.

lordsmurf 08-25-2006 10:08 AM

The only time I watched a soap opera was in Spanish class in college, the telenovelas. And even then I only paid attention because we were quizzed.

¡Que aburrida!

WEW3 08-25-2006 10:13 AM

Well I live in Hawaii so we get Korean and Japanese soaps here too. A big plus about telenovelas are they're done in 13 weeks and the storylines are tied up.

markatisu 08-25-2006 03:03 PM

Yeah and people take the telenovelas super seriously because they sometimes never re-air. Its reminds me of the old 70's/80's mini series events where until the expansion of VHS and DVD as mediums you never saw them again (some still have never re-aired or in rare instances)

"That's a little sexist, the guys should be getting the clap too"

The guys should have more then the clap ha ha ha ha. But seriously you would think that they would not want to be with the woman knowing how many partners they all have been with, in some cases its like having your own familys sloppy seconds!

"I'm not sure, they killed John after he was on for a long time.I think he is pretty much considered the icon of the show though. Heck he's one of the few soap actors that has input in his characters which is pretty much unheard of on the other shows."

Killing John off was different though to me, John has not been an essential part of the story for the last 15 years. Even when his character was alive the drama in the Abott household was driven by Jack and Ashley. But for almost 20 years we have dealt with Victor and his multitude of wives especially Nikki, I just cant see them killing the character because he is ties them all together. There is no way Nick can fill his fathers shoes in the storylines and I think that is part of the internal struggle his character faces.

Wow I put too much time in these things [:p]

cp32 08-26-2006 12:51 AM

I used to watch another world faithfully. I loved Carl. They killed it. Right in the middle of a cliff hanger... literally.

WEW3 08-28-2006 08:21 AM

I never understood how Carl was forgiven for all of his misdeeds as he killed people on the show. I guess it's the same thing as General Hospital where the mob guys are treated like the heroes on the show. Actually all the storylines were resolved in the finale. Carl & Rachel were reunited and everyone we were lead to believe lived happily everafter. Until Jake and Vicki went to As the World Turns and got killed off :(

Cass still returns occasionally on ATWT as a lawyer.

cp32 08-30-2006 01:00 AM

Carl is like the invincible John Dixon & Stephano. You love to hate to him :P

WEW3 08-30-2006 05:08 AM

Well John Dixon got released a long time ago from ATWT. Rumors are swirling about a Stephano return to Days since the actor either left or is about to leave Bold & the Beautiful. There's a ton of budget and cast cuts on Days so who knows if they would spend the money to bring him back.