TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/toons-superheroes/)
-   -   Saturday Morning Cartoons (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/toons-superheroes/4100-saturday-morning-cartoons.html)

SavageAmusement 07-15-2006 01:43 AM

Saturday Morning Cartoons

It's Saturday Morning..and I flipped through looking for a good cartoon.
Nothing.

So it had me thinking, and dragging some toon discs out-

What was everyones favorite Saturday Morning Cartoon/lineup- ritual

I don't know how old I was- (or at least I won't admit it)
But I recall getting up at 7-705 am-
Getting a box of cereal and glass of milk- and padding down to the basement tv- and watching smurfs, kidd video, q-bert
I remember later on watching camp candy and alf tales, and scooby doo.

But it was an all morning event. Cartoons, the commericals - and then as the afternoon drew on, they had the 11-12 abc special with OG readmore as a host at times, and they had abc specials like Miss Switch, Soup and me, Secret world of OG.
Basically 6 hours of tv watching from start to finish.

Those were the good old days.

And only to be added, was flipping on my intellevision, and playing Dungeons and Dragons and Snafu.

Anyone have any Saturday Morning memories?

markatisu 07-15-2006 02:23 AM

I was a diehard NBC kid, Smurfs/Alvin and the Chipmunks/Lazer Tag/Alf/Camp Candy/Captain N

I have some memories of watching ABC for 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo and Ghostbusters and CBS for Muppet Babies but in the end it was almost always NBC.

My favorite thing every year was the Saturday Morning Preview shows that would come on twice a year with some special guest host (animated or real) telling you what the new lineups were going to be and showing you 3-5min clips....those made me so happy.

What I find interesting is America tends to be one of the only countries that has rid "NEW" Cartoons from its Saturday morning airwaves in a lot of ways. I mean ABC/CBS/FOX/WB still air cartoons but most times its NO DIFFERENT then what airs on Disney Channel/Toon Disney, Nickelodeon/Nick Toons, or Cartoon Network.

Right about now I would accept T-NBC (Saved by the Bell, Hang Time, City Guys, etc) over the stuff that shows in the morning now because at least it was something outside the news or political shows.

They say variety is the spice of life but in 2006 that variety sucks

weevil6772 07-15-2006 10:59 AM

Yep a frequent topic discussed amongst my wife and I.I got up at 6:00 every saturday morning in anticipation of the next six or so hours.Alternated between ABC/CBS/NBC for the most part.I loved too many shows for one network to satiate.The good old days.Now kids have nothing on saturdays.And the toons that are around now for the most part...well they suck.That's why I have the collection I do not only for myself, but for my kids as they continue to get older.That way they can wake up saturdays and have their own cartoon marathons.

rmehta2 07-15-2006 03:02 PM

hahaha...TNBC ruled

SavageAmusement 07-16-2006 09:42 AM

Thats what I do Weevil.

i have sevearl cartoon lineups, some with commercials, some without.
And I make my own.
A disc of smurfs, a disc of pacman, a disc of snorks- toss in a kidd video, and a q-bert or q-bert toon.

I even found a place that stocks FrankenBerry, Count chocula, and booberry cereal.

But they don't put toys in the boxes anymore cheapskates