TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/toons-superheroes/)
-   -   Which was the "Best" cartoon show decade to date? (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/toons-superheroes/4956-best-cartoon-show.html)

DAN_D 10-24-2006 12:46 PM

Which was the "Best" cartoon show decade to date?

After having read Brent's request for "The Touch" by Stan Bush, and subsequently getting my fill of nostalgia after watching the music video on youtube about 5 times, it got me wondering which, (in my opinion) was the best decade/era for cartoons? Well, after watching cartoons now for the better part of 30 years, here are my choices (by decade and show):

1970's: Being that I was born in the mid-70's, the only shows which I can vividly remember watching are: Battle Of The Planets, Tom & Jerry, Popeye, and Mighty Mouse. All in all not a bad decade, but certainly not the best...

1980's: Here is where I believe the "golden age" of cartoons resided. Let see, you had HE-MAN, (my beloved TRANSFORMERS), THUNDERCATS, GOBOTS (which I always thought were TRANSFORMERS rips-offs), VOLTRON, G.I. Joe (Sunbow) (all time best version too), Silverhawks (somewhat underated cartoon), even SHE-RA deserves mention, Galaxy Rangers, the Saturday Morning treasure chest of Marvel comics shows etc., man, there are just sooo many to list, that I'm sure I'm forgetting other gems as well.

The 1990's: Aside from the "silliness" of the DIC version of G.I. Joe, the decade did manage to rebound quite nicely. The decade rewarded us with hits like X-MEN (FOX), Batman: T.A.S. (FOX), Superman: T.A.S. (WB), Animaniacs, Pinky & The Brain, and my favorite series of the decade, Spidey T.A.S., simply put the best written series of any Spidey cartoon series....ehhh ehhh ever ("Gawd", how I *still* wish they'd go back and properly finish off that series).

2000's: In my opinion, truly the worst decade (so far) for cartoonage. Sure I loved the new HE-MAN series of a couple of years ago, and Family Guy is GREAT, but I find that much of the animated series that are currently airing today sorely lack the "grab you", "can't wait to get home", feeling for shows that there were in the 1980's, or even the 1990's. Oh, and I do like South Park, but that's no show for kids IMO...

There you have it, as you can probably tell, I'm a fan of the 1980's decade of cartoonage. All other decades had some bright spots and plenty of dark ones too, but none have matched the glory days of the decade of the 1980's.

SavageAmusement 10-25-2006 05:40 PM

1975, to 1985 for me.

Loved the stuff like grrovin' ghoulies, Get along gang!! Dungeons and Dragons, Care bears started about then...
and 1975-scooby doo, flintstones etc.

Definately later 70's through 80's for me!!

Tcel93 10-26-2006 07:25 AM

80's wins hands down. Don't forget to mention Dragonball started in the 80's!

weevil6772 10-26-2006 10:50 AM

80's easily for me.With 90's producing a few stand out shows as well.I just think on volume alone the 80's was the best decade for toonage.