TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Superheroes, Cartoons and Anime (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/toons-superheroes/)
-   -   Anime recommendations (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/toons-superheroes/6303-anime-recommendations.html)

manthing 06-21-2007 02:55 PM

anime recommendations

all, please forward your top anime cartoons giving a short synopsis as to why you like it.

i'm slowly getting into anime and would like some pointers as to what is worth watching.

over to you...

lordsmurf 06-21-2007 04:54 PM

Trigun - extremely funny comedy, western outlaw meets a bit of sci fi, great characters, never met anybody who hated or disliked this show

Slayers series (Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, and the Slayers movies and OVAs) - hilarious comedy, medieval setting, following the adventures of the dragon slayer Lina Inverse ... I suggest watching the 2nd series (NEXT) first, and the others after that, resume the storyline order

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - hilarious comedy, drunkard idiot captain only in his 20s, accidentally lands as the commander of a war ship, big space battles

Cowboy Bebop - great comedy, space-fairing bounty hunters travel the Solar system, hunting down criminals, very similar to Trigun

Samurai Champloo - a mix of comedy and graphic sword fighting, feudal Japan setting, from the same creator of Cowboy Bebop, excellent animation

Big O - some comedy, suspenseful stories, based on a post-Apocalyptic world where everybody has amnesia, sort of Batman-like with mecha

Robotech - I consider this to be more of an American cartoon, but the footage is from anime shows, basically a grand space opera, with comedy and action and drama, my favorite mecha of all time, one of my favorite cartoons ever (especially the Macross Saga 36-episode story arc)

Pokemon - very innocent entertainment, a lot like Smurfs or even Tom & Jerry, worth watching the first season, if not the entire 10-season (to date) series of shows and movies

I cannot suggest these shows enough. It's a shame most anime is only 26 episodes long!

... and I'm not really an "anime fan" either, these are just great cartoons that happen to be from Japan!

cp32 06-22-2007 05:56 AM

Vampire Hunter D , Full Metal Alchemist, Trinity Blood , Hellsing Ultimate , Bleach, Deathnote ( although subtitled not hard to follow) , Samuari Champoo , getbackers ( so funny lol ), Big O, Fruit baskets ( also hilarious ), Cowboy Beebop , Birdy the Mighty .
Depends on what you like ?

Bob ( washway) has pretty good taste in anime. He hasn't steered me wrong so far :P

rmehta2 06-22-2007 06:11 AM

First off, i'm not a fan of dubbed anime but two dubbed animes that i like are:

Shin Chan (very funny dub on Adult Swim)
Afro Samurai (very good anime)

Now, for the subbed anime I liked these series:

Inuyasha (very good long story line, story is still going on in the manga too bad the series ended)
Cowboy Bebop (first anime i saw and very good, innovative)
Rurouni Kenshin (very good samurai story)
Samurai Champloo (like LS said created by the same people that did Cowboy Bebop)

i plan to watch some other anime like Bleach, Naruto but those series are waaaay too long for me.

manthing 06-22-2007 06:28 AM

cp, now sure what i like at the moment.
will give some of the above a go and feel my way.

saw akira years ago.
and though the artwork was great (compared to USA/hero cartoons), the story just dragged / was boring.

the only thing i can say right now, just to steer you guys & gals, is the anime should have at least some pace.

last thing i want to see is something "deep" or "moving" or "poignant" etc. like a girl starring out the window ... for AGES!

man that is a total turn-off for me.

and thanks to the three of you.

lordsmurf 06-22-2007 07:19 AM

I only watch dubbed anime. If I wanted to read, I have comic books. Just my thought. All of my suggestions are English dubbed. I don't see much difference, at least in overall story, between the two.

Something like Vampire Hunter D, Hellsing, Akira or Ghost in the Shell is about as entertaining as mowing the yard. Given the chance to watch those shows, or mow the yard, I'd pick the latter. So I feel your pain. I have a show or two that I was told would be good, but I never made it past the first two discs.

If you want fast pace, then definitely check out Trigun, Slayers Next, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and the Macross Saga portion of Robotech. Big O moves at a good pace, but it is not fast, which is how the suspense and mystery is created. Tylor and Pokemon move good too, but there are stall points in the middle where it slows down to explain things or has filler-type episodes. The first Slayers series also has a slow start, and is why I suggest seeing it after Next (2nd) and Try (3rd). You won't miss much, and you'll figure out the characters quickly. Several of them are first seen in Next anyway.

My next anime to watch is the dubbed Rurouni Kenshin.

wayshway 06-22-2007 04:13 PM

Old School:
Any of Leiji Matsumoto's work:
Captain Harlock
Star Blazers
Galaxy Express 999

Other old school
Gatchaman (ADV's latest remasters)

Current
Death Note (Fantastic anime)
Bleach for about 75 episodes, then it just gets stupid
Cowboy Bebop
Eureka Seven
Gundam Seed & Gundam Seed Destiny
Saiyuki (Saiyuki reload and Gunlock just plain suck. Different butchered voice cast and the stories are weak)
Gungrave
Hellsing Unlimited
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic
Berserk
Samurai Champloo
Chrono Crusade
Getbackers
Chobits
Fruits Basket
The Galaxy Railways
Rurouni Kenshin (3rd season is kinda weak. + you need the movies)

There's also a lot of animes with "High Kicking Pantie Action" if you're into that.
Ickitosen, Burst Angel etc etc.. [88][88]

If you need to know about any of these shows, just visit the encyclopedia at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com
Every anime that's known to man is on there.

Take care

wayshway 06-22-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by rmehta2

First off, i'm not a fan of dubbed anime but two dubbed animes that i like are:

Shin Chan (very funny dub on Adult Swim)
Afro Samurai (very good anime)

Now, for the subbed anime I liked these series:

Inuyasha (very good long story line, story is still going on in the manga too bad the series ended)
Cowboy Bebop (first anime i saw and very good, innovative)
Rurouni Kenshin (very good samurai story)
Samurai Champloo (like LS said created by the same people that did Cowboy Bebop)

i plan to watch some other anime like Bleach, Naruto but those series are waaaay too long for me.
I don't mind dubbed as long as it's done right. A lot of them do suck though. Bleach & Naruto dubs are some of the worst ever. [88][88]
Dub is better for comedy's because a lot of us won't understand the Japanese terminology, jokes or puns.

ogopogo2000 06-22-2007 04:43 PM

A couple of my favorites are Genshiken (very funny) and the Full Metal Panic (ranges from funny to Dramatic) series.