TVPast Forums

TVPast Forums (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/)
-   Record TV: Video Tech Support (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/video-tech/)
-   -   IPhone/iPod Touch apps, good TV watching app? (http://www.tvpast.org/forum/video-tech/10845-iphone-ipod-touch.html)

Joker 08-26-2010 08:14 AM

iPhone/iPod Touch apps, good TV watching app?

Anybody know of a good TV app to watch live television for free on their IPhone/IPod Touch?

I have TVUPlayer which is ok but I'm wondering if there's something better out there

lordsmurf 08-26-2010 05:36 PM

What about the TV.com or Net TV apps?

konfusion 08-26-2010 07:02 PM

jailbreak it then all apps are free :)

bigk181 08-26-2010 07:58 PM

I tried the free version of TVUPlayer for a little while on my iPod but it's mostly international stations. There aren't very many American stations on it. I also tried SPB TV but it's the same with that one. The video was choppy on both apps and not worth watching. The only thing I could find that I wanted to watch was an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica. I gave up looking for a live television app. I watch enough TV already. I don't need an app to watch TV on my iPod. TV.com isn't live TV. It's just a bunch of videos.

Joker 08-27-2010 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by konfusion (Post 54049)
jailbreak it then all apps are free :)

oh I jailbroke it the day I got it :p

About he quality, doesn't really concern me .... I'm just happy to have access to ESPN (which is available on TVU Player) when I'm on the road and want to take a peek at a game for a couple of minutes. I also found ABC, CBS, and FOX feeds on there that will come in handy on Sundays for Football when I'm away. But you're right, this is heavy on the International stations.

Apparently there's a good app available for UK users ONLY wanting to watch local TV ... can't remember the name but I saw it yesterday when I was doing my research.

Net TV again is heavy on the international stations ..... not much selection for North America.

Joker 08-27-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigk181 (Post 54051)
I tried the free version of TVUPlayer for a little while on my iPod but it's mostly international stations. There aren't very many American stations on it. I also tried SPB TV but it's the same with that one. The video was choppy on both apps and not worth watching. The only thing I could find that I wanted to watch was an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica. I gave up looking for a live television app. I watch enough TV already. I don't need an app to watch TV on my iPod. TV.com isn't live TV. It's just a bunch of videos.

Surprised to hear you said the video was choppy. I was going to ask if you were on 3G or Wi-fi but I saw you wrote you were using your IPOD so you must have been on Wi-Fi ..... Using Wi-Fi myself I found the video smooth and stable after the initial buffering.

On 3G it would give out here and there and become choppy like you said.

bigk181 08-27-2010 12:48 PM

I use Wi-Fi on my iPod but I've only used TVUPlayer and SPB TV at home. I've never tried them on a Wi-Fi connection somewhere else. The audio wouldn't be choppy but the video would play for about 5 seconds and then freeze for about 5 seconds. It would do this constantly. I didn't find much on them that I would want to watch anyway, so it's not worth it for me.