Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

08-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
You know I never really care about the competition between companies but after watching this Thundercats set WB really exposed themselves as not caring 1 bit about the fans, christ I wish I could actually ERASE the extras ha ha ha ha

Other than that I am really enjoying this set! Though the menus are a bit amateurish, I mean it would have been neat just to have the landscape but the intro running in a window is really blah
  08-09-2005, 05:56 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
The quality of the conversion sucks. It's grainy and has chroma noise. It was not form clean film source, it was from some sloppy uncleaned tapes of some sort.
  08-09-2005, 06:02 PM
Verified Member

But it does not have blocks ha ha ha ha

I did notice it was grainy but I figured that was par for the course , BTAS is also the same way, dont know if WB is going for a style or what

I do NOT think its $50 worth, WB needs to do a lot better before I commit to buying S1 V2

The episodes do get a bit better as the set goes on, Exodus is just horrible as a retail episode and the 2nd ep has no freaking music!

I might pop in the 6th disc and see if its salvaged but so far a lot of people are noting the problems and trying to get together something to let the WB know they are unhappy

So far these are the problems people are noting:

EXODUS - NOT IN IT'S ORIGINAL PRESENTATION - edited for tv version.

Also doesn't appear to be fully restored. A frame appeared to flicker during the first few minutes.

THE UNHOLY ALLIANCE- THE ENTIRE SOUNDTRACK IS MISSING! You hear it in French and Spanish but it's nowhere to be heard in the English track.

THE GHOST WARRIOR - Doesn't appear to be fully restored. Note the "Closed Captioning" logo appears in the opening theme suggesting an inferior TV print was used.

MANDORA, EVIL CHASER - Same problem as Ghost Warrior.
  08-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Well, that seals it for me. I don't think I'll be picking this up (at least not anytime soon).

The sloppy job combined with the high price seems like it's not worth it. There are a lot more sets are there that I do want to spend my money on.

BCI's He-Man sets will be a must have. I would have been happy paying more than $14 for the Best Of... set a few weeks ago. The quality of the show and the extras were well worth it.

Picked up the Muppet Show S1 yesterday for $29. That's 24 episodes (with the extra UK skits), plus the pilot, plus a promo reel and a neat little Muppet Morsel (pop up video style) feature. There too much TV on DVD out there and the quickie sets will fall to the wayside or only be purchased by the die-hard fans.
  08-10-2005, 11:19 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
There are some people on amazon saying the TC set is better than Transformers or He-Man. They must be inhaling too much blow.
  08-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Verified Member

The best quote I have heard was "it is supposed to look average because WB does not claim it was digitally restored and remastered so they did not lie"
  08-11-2005, 12:33 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Your right Mark, here in the digital age, we expect DVD to look worse than the VHS releases from ten years ago. What a joke. WB better get its act together. By the way, when you figure out how to "delete" extras, please let me know... I need Wil Wheaton off my Thundercats discs.....
  08-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Verified Member

T he cannot be erased, he is a SUPERFAN!
  08-11-2005, 09:02 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
NOOOOOOOOOOO! Say it ain't so!
  08-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Verified Member

Check out my post in Entertainment News, one of the "Superfans" posted over at he-man.org and is now on a campaign to smear WB, its freaking hilarious because she is MAD
  08-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Gotta love the crappy WB DVD cases too.