Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

02-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
there are some dvds i'd like, but the cost is too high.

so i thought of making my own sets
that's the simple bit.

now suppose these sets come with extras like lobby cards.

so my question is, how easy or hard is it to replicate this?

sure, printing something is easy.

but what about the card itself?
what paper / stock is it?
how do i get similar quality "paper" from a high street outlet?
what is the cost of such "paper"?

and then if i wanted glossy paper for the cover, what sort of paper do i look for?
and what is the cost of such paper?

overall, will it be exhorbitant to do this?
in which case i'll stump up for the originals in the first place!

well good people, i'm sure one of you will have some ideas about this. please pass it on to me.

thanks.
  02-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Trying to re-create some of these things with a home printer -- including the paper -- is pretty hard / impossible.

I can do great work on a color laser, and it looks better than most inkjets. But you're limited on the paper.

For ink or toner to stick to paper, it needs to be a certain type of paper. Those ultra-gloss stocks used by printing presses just doesn't take to ink/toner very well.

You can get some good "graphic arts" paper (like photo paper, but not made for photos) and use it in a laser or inkjet -- but it won't be glossy. That's really as close as you can get.

If you want to add some gloss, there are a number of spray-on options out there, although I'm not experienced with them. It sounds like a headache and a hassle to me.

Any time I make artwork, I'm fine with the best the printer will accept.

If that's not good enough, I outsource to a printing company. Of course, that only works if you need thousands of copies (hundreds?) and the printer will only print up something you're authorized to use. Mickey Mouse, etc -- no go.
  03-01-2010, 02:54 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,856 posts since Jun 2005
hmmm, what a shame. ah well, i'll just have to live with second best copies.
thanks for your reply.