Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

08-18-2005, 03:27 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 129 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to bratac19 Send a message via Yahoo to bratac19
What sets did you have that no one else had that is now on every trade list/site? Just curious. I bet the "family" we have here makes up a huge percentage of whats out there.

I think I did 3...

Tremors- even though this is a recent show, no one put it on disc.

Vanishing Son- I've sent this set out more times than I can count.

Otherworld- When I 1st started, lots of traders had one or two eps
Now the complete four disc set is out and about.
  08-18-2005, 03:43 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
This topic almost pisses me off, just for the record...

Darkwing Duck (sources on loan from local friend)
Gummi Bears (sources on loan from local friend)
Silverhawks (my sources)
Generation X Movie (rare official VHS)
Robotech the Movie (extremely rare official VHS)
Hulk 1980s (expensive official PAL)
Legends/Roast of the Superheroes (my sources)
Plasticman (sources on loan from local friend)
Silver Surfer (my sources)
Spiderman 1980s (my sources)
Superman Extended Movie (sources on loan from local friend)
Bionic Six (sources on loan from private collector)
Dukes of Hazzard cartoon (my sources)
TMNT 2003 series (my sources) - NOBODY RECORDED THIS!??
Voltron Lion (my sources, now replaced by PAL releases)

If I ever met one of those eBay whores on the street, the ones that sell all these sets I made, you'd have to arrest me for beating the living sh-- out of them. I've never made more than $25 on a few of those things, while others have sold it for $20 a disc 100 times. Bastards.

While I'm definitely not in this for the money, some of these things took 100's or 1000's of hours of work, painstakingly careful work to keep it a nice set. And let's not forget all the equipment (computers, TBCs, recorders, capture cards, VCRS, etc). If I cannot be allowed to at least make back my investment, others sure as hell should not be allowed to profit off of it.

I'm in this for my own enjoyment of shows, but if people want me to share my work, at least give me something nice in return, and allow me the privilege of dealing with a number of people to reap the rewards of what I did.

For the record, this is why I primarily only trade with other set creators. And why they tend to do the same.

Some of the "high volume" traders irritate the hell out of me too. The ones that trade 95 copies right away and my more casual trading style (not daily, but weekly or monthly) leaves me with something that, while new, everybody already has or does not want. The "library whores" of the hobby that own 10 zillion sets but never watch any of them, or few of them. The people who, if you ask them a question about a set, don't know the answer or simply lie (complete! all sets 8.5-9/10!).

Total lack of ethics, morals and respect.
They need their teeth knocked in.

There are more sets I did, but they have since been replaced by official releases. Others already existed, though in piss poor quality, mine are the high quality versions (Ducktales, etc).

This was not an issue in the VHS days, because every generation lost quality. People HAD to come to me for the best quality copies. This is the part of digital that sucks.

Sorry, my rant for the day.

08-18-2005, 03:51 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 305 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to Joker
Quote:
quote:
If I ever met one of those eBay whores on the street, the ones that sell all these sets I made, you'd have to arrest me for beating the living sh-- out of them. I've never made more than $25 on a few of those things, while others have sold it for $20 a disc 100 times. Bastards.

Some of the "high volume" traders irritate the hell out of me too. The ones that trade 95 copies right away and my more casual trading style (not daily, but weekly or monthly) leaves me with something that, while new, everybody already has or does not want.

I won't list my sets because I'm taking anger management classes to try and help me get over the RAGE I feel and if I list the sets, I may have another relapse.

Joker
  08-18-2005, 04:28 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,191 posts since Jun 2005
Power rangers (mmpr-current) - This has been my most popular set ever, i have done 2 versions of this set and is currently working on the final upgrade. The only thing that exist before was downloads or vcd dumps.

Saban's Diabolik - not many people have this set, but no set exist before.
Buearu of alien detectors - not many people have this set, but no set exist before.
Godzilla the series - havn't seen a previous set, but made one from australian vhs sources. Currently upgrading the set with current airings.

M.A.S.K. - only set i knew of at the time was transformerscds set. Made two sets of this the incomplete bulky 22 dvd set and the complete 17 dvd set. Might upgrade it again with better menus.

Stargate infinity - again only a few people have this set.
Ultimate muscle - no set exist of this, only 2 people i know off have this set.

Fantastic 4, Hulk & iron man 90s - only vcd dumps exist of these before, have sent out quite a few of these for those aware of the better quality versions.

Beelteborgs,beetleborgs mettalix, vr troopers & mystic knights - never even seen a set of these, as usual only saw downloads.

california dreams - not seen a set of this, but this isn't the best set.
kenan & kel - not seen a set of this that i am aware of.
  08-18-2005, 05:11 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
This is just a small list, I am much like Joker I really dont list my sets for trade or sale much if at all, usually only the initial time when I have the masters still on the hard drive. She-Ra was probably the only one I sold in mass becuase it was a fan site project and I wanted to make sure everyone has access over the horrible one that people were getting ripped off on

She-Ra Princess of Power, before my set there was complete trash and worse then complete trash, it was either choose a 40 some VCD set that was incomplete, missing parts of episodes and would not play some episodes (made by TransformersCD's) or a very horribly made fan set that was mostly VCD converted to DVD but again missing parts of episodes. Took me a few months, a lot of money and half a friend in the UK's private video collection. Not the best overall set in the world but at least its complete and watchable.

My BIG **** with ebay is that for She-Ra people were selling the 12 discs of the series and the 13the disc (the bonus disc) as a special ONLY if you bought it now, so not only are people spending 2-3x what they would if they came to me they are not even getting the entire set, I have seen other ebay auctions and collectors with 12 DVD's and I know they got ripped off because they are missing the last disc, the disc even says DISC 13!!

Ultraforce- Only set was a CRAP VCD set riddled with errors, snow and just overall bad quality, took the copies I got from my friend here of the actual tv studio masters and made a nice looking set

Disney Aladdin- When I was finishing up my set like 2 others appeared but mine has extras found nowhere that I hunted down and recorded and added

Transformers Energon (originally me, now partner with LS)- Apparently nobody recorded this

F-Zero GP Legend- Much like LS and his TMNT not one person recorded this show, I have tried for 6 months now to get the 3 episodes I needed and not even bittorents and IRC have downloads of this show so I could put the data files in a ROM Folder

Disney Hercules-Only set before was just various episodes, I found the banned episodes just recently to complete it

DIC GI Joe, the only copies of the VHS set was a 5-8th gen till I was able to track down the masters, never been available before

GI Joe Extreme, on loan from a private collector, never been available before

Defenders of the Earth, on loan from a private collector

Highlander The Animated Series, on loan from a private collector

Exosquad, only set that exists now is completely horrible. I transferred the entire 1st season from Laserdisc and out of print ultra rare VHS then borrowed a private collectors VHS to work on Season 2

Thats just some off the top of my head, but I agree 110% that I would say more than 70-80% of whats out there in high quality came from set creators on this board or at least from the friends of the set creators on this board, the set creator world is not horribly large due to the expense of all the stuff needed, its growing now because technology is cheaper (anyone can get a DVD recorder that is decent for under $120 and most everyone has a fast enough computer to author a DVD) but between 2002-2004 there were only about 10-15 people probably across the world that made anything of any value and a lot of them reside here or have retired and come here to talk about just tv and toons
  08-18-2005, 05:32 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Here's the quickest list I could come up with. A lot of my stuff (initially) wasn't as rare as Mark or LS's stuff, but I've still seen some of them all over the place.

Adventures of Pete and Pete, The: This set probably caused me the most grief. Back in CPS 1-2 days, someone from there took this set and was selling it on ebay for $$$ and claiming it was a one-of-a-kind. It was a CPS member (forgot who, long banned). It was all VCD source, but it looked good and was the only set until the official S1 was released just recently.

Brak Show, The: I haven't seen this one around much. But, the 1 DVD set that "everyone" has is not complete, like "everyone" says. It's missing 10-12 episodes plus the New Years Eve commercials (which are the funniest).

DC / Marvel Comics Fan Films: Anybody could make this DVD from downloads and such, but no one has. I've seen this on lots of lists, with the exact same shorts (in order) they are on mine.

Godzilla (1978 animated): Again, this is more of a "not listed" set, but the 5 DVD set most people have is missing the first episode "The Firebird" unless you got it from me.

Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law: Before the official replease, this was all over ebay.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe (2002): It's not out there as much now, but back after the show ended, it was all over ebay as well.

Now and Again: Very rare show (and awesome) show that aired all the time on Sci-Fi and Trio (I miss that station).

Richie Rich: This one is another touchy one. I spent a good bit of time researching and compiling this set when Boomerang aired it on marathons, way before it was on the regular schedule. It suffered the most, as it was re-branded as an "exclusive" TransformersCDs set.

Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror: This was a personal set for myself. I had been recording the Halloween episodes to VHS since they began 15-years ago (yikes, I'm old). Transferred to DVD and poof they were on ebay. I update this set every year.

Static Shock: This show was a bit of trouble. All from KidsWB airings (way before it was on CN) and it took prob. 6-months to get 2 episodes. As far as I know, AOA is the only other person that just recently made a set of this show. You can usually find 2-3 listings of this on ebay all the time, along with the cover art I paid someone to make.

Superfriends: All New Superfriends Hour - The heftiest of my Superfriends sets, I spent a lot of time putting my SF sets together. They're pretty much the "definitive" sets of the shows. Again, all over ebay.

Superfriends: Galactic Guardians, Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show, Superfriends: Worlds Greatest: see above.

That's just a partial list of stuff I've made. A lot of my more recent sets haven't spread around much. I'm pretty busy and only trade them selectivly for a while.
  08-18-2005, 06:19 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 648 posts since Jun 2005
First Wave
Martial Law
Invasion America--my set was the source for the others that came after.
Mummies Alive
Real Adv. of Jonny Quest
Jonny Quest 1987
Phantom 2040
Prey
Legend of Tarzan(Disney)
M.A.N.T.I.S.
Thundarr the Barbarian
G vs. E
The Chronicle
Mortal Kombat:Conquest
Earth 2(long before the retail came out)
Automan (long before the new set)
  08-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
Hmm, I guess:

Shadow Chasers (I think an early version of the set I made has been selling on eBay - since I want more people to watch and love the show like I do, I don't really care unless they charge a fortune for it)
Alias Smith and Jones (complete with the pilot and second season opener that were not shown on Encore Westerns)
Time Tunnel complete (from the first run on Encore Action)

In the latest edition of my trade list, I do list whether I made the set, or if I traded for (or bought) it. I don't always know who actually created a set I didn't make myself, though.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  08-18-2005, 08:11 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
I see my Extreme Ghostbusters rough draft set floating around along with my Real Ghostbusters rough draft.