Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

08-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
1. How did you find CPS?
2. When? Month/year
3. Who was the first person you dealt with at CPS?

Thanks. -LS

08-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
I originally found CPS through Secret Defender's web site. I looked in a few times on CPS1 and ultimately joined CPS2 - 2 years ago?

The first person I dealt with on CPS was RareTVnDVD. One trade, and I swore there wouldn't be another. I almost dropped the forum after that, but decided to give it another chance. It took me a long while before I tried another trade, and I think that was with Staypuftman. I'd trade with him any time. So, bad experience, offset by good experience.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  08-27-2005, 12:53 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 124 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to tobal2
I found the original CPS through a Yahoo search; no idea when but it's been a few years now...

And I don't recall the FIRST person I dealt with on CPS, but some of the first were Pepe (GREAT!), Sean McLean (TERRIBLE!), and dragongohan (great for me but apparently another scammer)...
  08-27-2005, 01:32 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,457 posts since Jun 2005
How I found CPS was through the first And I just drifted along for the ride. I believe my first trades were, Venger (UGH!!), Secret Defender (Not bad), and Angel of Animes and Lord Smurf off eBay a couple times but that was a LONG time ago

Brent

Use tinyurl its fun http://tinyurl.com/
  08-27-2005, 01:39 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 283 posts since Jun 2005
1. How did you find CPS? yahoo search engine.
2. When? Month/year. Dont remember but its been almost 3 years
3. Who was the first person you dealt with at CPS? Ron or Joker. we were trading vcds
  08-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,824 posts since May 2005
Send a message via AIM to markatisu Send a message via MSN to markatisu
1. How did you find CPS? Through a recommendation from Kaybee when I was finishing my She-Ra set, he mentioned that there are a lot of traders who might be interested in it there

2. When? Month/year. Early 2004, probably May and June is when I started trading She-Ra, I was probably watching and reading what was on CPS1 since about the tail end of 2003

3. Who was the first person you dealt with at CPS? Well it depends I knew Phillip for a while off the boards in late 02-03, actually met him when I was searching for some JL episodes I needed and helped him with some replacement discs and then we have been trading and friends since.

Then I met LS through his link at the old CPS1 in one of his posts in which he called me crazy and borderline whacko for ever wanting to look for Gobots or any other rare series, yeah take that pttttthhh I found them and much more that we thought was lost lol

And then there was Brent, whom I have known since 2002-03 at He-man.org and he watched me make She-Ra and has been with me ever since with the superlong people should take bets on if it even exists Jackie Chan set

Probably first real trade was with Ron and Pepe, I never really went outside the circle much and still dont. I was a set buyer from when I first popped on the net buying Laserdiscs in the rec.arts.anime.marketplace usenet group and reading the robotech newsgroups up until I got tired of getting ripped off or getting crap TransformersCDs stuff in 2002, then I became a set maker to help others not get ripped off
  08-27-2005, 03:26 PM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
Fozzy .. that member that seems to be missing.. hummm

and a few months ago...
  08-27-2005, 03:45 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 121 posts since Jun 2005
I found CPS1 a few years ago while searching for Transformers G1 episodes. I posted a few times but never dealt with anyone. I think the first trader I dealt with officially was Joker. I got a few sets from him and that got me hooked. He was very professional and patient with me. One of the best traders I've dealt with over the few years being on CPS.
  08-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
A couple of years ago I was looking for two cartoons 1) Captain Simian & The Space Monkeys and the other was 2) Invasion America. When looking for Invasion America I somehow got found Tekken (Greg's website). I then found a link to CPS, and I have regretted that day every since (just joking!).
  08-27-2005, 05:03 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MOTUfan

Lord Smurf off eBay a couple times but that was a LONG time ago Brent
It was 5-6 years ago, back when VHS was the format and most people still didn't know what a DVD was. VCD had not hit yet, and a lot of people loved to trade crappy RealMedia files (the beginning of the end). That's how traders met online at one point, sell a couple tapes, and then send a full list to the winner. Of course, back then, your eBay username was your e-mail address, and it was very common to just e-mail people about trades. It was a nifty alternative to then-dying newsgroups, and pre-forum code. My how things have changed.

08-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 170 posts since Jun 2005
Through another trading group Digital Deviants - I think it was called. Over 2 years ago.

Some of my first trades were with

Joker (even before I found CPS)
Tobal
Pepe

Got started through Ebay which lead to a Yahoo group, which lead to DD (JD, Moviedude25, Starscream & others ... anyone remember them?) Which then lead to CPS.

The first set I ever obtained was Challenge of the Superfriends on vcd

08-27-2005, 10:24 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 571 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to GreenRanger1
1. How did you find CPS? I think through a google search.
2. When? Month/year: July or August of 2004, I dont remember exactly but around that time.
3. Who was the first person you dealt with at CPS? That would be LS, I got his Silverhawks set. I had dealt with Tobal, once before, but it wasnt through cps, and it was a great experience. Besides for that I was total new to trading, and have been around since.
  08-27-2005, 10:26 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 305 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to Joker
1. How did you find CPS? - I think through Digital Deviants Board
2. When? Month/year - Early 2002?
3. Who was the first person you dealt with at CPS? - probably gwors or pepe

Wow!

This is a good question.
I'm not sure how I found CPS1 ... probably has someething to do with that other board, Digital Deviants.
I rememember gwors was there and CP32 and moviedude ...
So I guess CP32 and gwors are the traders I know the longest that are still around here.
Back then we were trading VCD's .... dvd burners and discs were SOOOO! expensive, nobody owned one.

I think what got me to stick around CPS was the way we caught and exposed that first scammer, GOTHAMCITY VCD's.
Boy, there were some classic posts back then on CPS between BLONDECONAN and Michael aka Kevin aka GIOIA .... lol!
Who is still around from those days and remembers that?
  08-27-2005, 10:53 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
How: I believe I typed "tape trading" into a search engine and came up with a link to another site, (can't remember which one) but links eventually led me here.

When: I had been looking and reading the site over for a while before actually doing any kind of interaction with other members, kind of feeling myself around. Didn't actually start trading on a regular basis til either the last part of last year or the first part of this year.

Who: I can't remember if it was Venger or Tobal2, not sure who was first, but those were the first two I know I traded with other than trading fansubs prior to trading with anyone on the site.
  08-28-2005, 01:09 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 910 posts since Jun 2005
1. How did you find CPS? - Digital Deviants Board
2. When? Month/year - Early 2003?
3. Who was the first person you dealt with at CPS? - CP32 and/or Michaela only had VCDs at the time

When i first was here
Angelofanimes & LordSmurf were moderators of CPS1
Jame(GeneralKalmec) Was in charge of CPS2

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...04/joker-3.gif
  08-28-2005, 01:22 AM

Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by y2k3Joker

I think what got me to stick around CPS was the way we caught and exposed that first scammer, GOTHAMCITY VCD's.
Boy, there were some classic posts back then on CPS between BLONDECONAN and Michael aka Kevin aka GIOIA .... lol!

I remember this

08-28-2005, 01:27 AM

Verified Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gwors

Got started through Ebay which lead to a Yahoo group, which lead to DD (JD, Moviedude25, Starscream & others ... anyone remember them?)

I remember them i used to trade with Emenius from there all the time

08-28-2005, 01:28 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,191 posts since Jun 2005
I first found the board surfing the net, typing in tape trades. Found the board ocober/november 2003 when i first started trading.

I can't remember who my first trade was with on CPS, but it was sometime in late november/ early december 2003 when i started to trade on cps.
  08-28-2005, 01:53 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 109 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via AIM to MBates05
I first found CPS around 2 years ago because I was looking for a set of 13 ghosts of scooby doo. I did either a google or yahoo search and it led me to the original CPS in which I bought the set from Pepe. From then I started to buy some things and then eventually started trading. I'm very glad I search for that set and found this really awsome hobby.
  08-28-2005, 02:39 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 170 posts since Jun 2005
Quote:
quote:from Joker

Weren't you his North Americian manager?