Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

09-02-2005, 04:26 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 621 posts since Jun 2005
hi, we are a 3 to 4 hour drive from mississippi gulf coast and we got hit hard in meridian ms. we have been withoutm power at our house since monday when the storm hit. we were fortunate that we didn't have property damage. my sister's house was completely destroyed. please keep all those that were affected by the storm in your thoughts and prayers. thanks
  09-02-2005, 05:55 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 28 posts since Jun 2005
Glad ya'll are ok! Our prayers are with all that got hit by this disaster!

09-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
One of my friends in Australia wrote me, asking why Bush was on tv walking around Mississippi seemingly doing nothing but giving hugs and talking to people, why people were not being rescued and given supplies, and why everything was so sloppy and slow....

My response to her:

Quote:
quote:The mayor of New Orleans was on CNN today blasting the federal government. And I agree, our president is an idiot. This disaster in our own back yard is turning out even more sloppy than the entire Iraq operation. The oil companies are falsely inflating gas prices too, the stations are cashing in for no reason, and the government is not enforcing laws that are supposed to prevent such gouging. Nobody is mobilizing transportation to evacuate people. Hundreds of people (maybe thousands) needlessly died waiting for treatment and food/water that never came even after 3-4 days.

The whole place is a mess, and this is what happens when you have a government that wants to "preach morals and ideals" instead of running like a clean business.

The state of affairs in the USA thoroughly disgusts me right now.
I really miss how life was here in the 1990s.

Nowadays it's stupid bickering over "moral issues" because the Bible-thumpers are in charge. And all the important issues like employment, health care, economics, etc., all fall to the wayside. The Republicans have their "political stronghold" in the southern part of this nation, and that's where this disaster struck. Maybe next time they go to the voting polls, they'll opt for leadership that can effectively run government like a business instead of like church camp.

By the way, in case nobody has ever told you, George Bush is NOT A TEXAN. He is a yankee transplant from Connecticut. He moved here in the 1980s when his daddy helped get him into an oil business (which failed), and then he owned part of the Texas Rangers baseball team (worst seasons ever). Next he went into state politics, and this begun his political career. His "ranch" is a joke, and he's not even remotely a cowboy. In his dreams. The only thing Bush has done for Texas is degrade it's name.

Just the thoughts of one American, one Texan.
  09-02-2005, 03:38 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,148 posts since Jun 2005
Anybody watch the live concert on NBC tonight? In the live feed on the East Coast, Kanye West went off on Bush, and kinda freaked out both Mike Myers (who was on screen with him) and Chris Tucker, who had to pick up the slack on a cutaway when the broadcast cut West off. I gather from posts I've seen on the Usenet group that the exchange was excised from the West coast feed.

There was something really heartbreaking about watching and listening to musicians from Louisiana (Harry Connick, Jr., Wynton Marsalis, Aaron Neville) performing songs about Louisiana and New Orleans in particular. Faith Hill is from Mississippi, and her performances were no less powerful. A number of the songs performed tonight were faith-based, but heartfelt and meant I think to inspire (and give comfort to the performer) rather than espouse a particular political viewpoint. A number of other musical fundraisers are coming up - the 6 major networks will be airing a 1-hour fundraising concert next Friday (September 9), and the MTV networks will be airing a 3-hour fundraising concert on September 10.
Update 7Feb12 - Still not really trading, except for a few selected sets for friends. Check out my fannish activities through my home page at http://www.debwalsh.com/. Thanks for your understanding! E-mail only - no PMs, please.
  09-02-2005, 04:51 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
It's becoming rather difficult now to NOT give a political viewpoint, because things that should be done are common sense strategies. Yet the powers that be are lolligagging around rather than getting to business.
  09-03-2005, 01:04 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 1,139 posts since Jun 2005
i think they have no money nor troop support for this tragedy ,. and no one wants to admit it ,... they rather send a president dumber than a bag of rocks to smurk on tv pledging his support ... ohhh hummm.

i'm glad Jeb Bush is governor of florida ... or else we would have no help or very little here.

it's a family affair ...lol
  09-04-2005, 08:31 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 614 posts since Jun 2005
Lordsmurf you typed what I wanted to just now.We ARE being lied to,deceived and manipulated into accepting a police state and global goverment.I don't know what else people need to see to wake the hell up and research their history,their government,and the foreign bank interests that pull the strings.Partisan politics and finger pointing with no one taking accountability is the name of the game.Time for americans to reclaim their government,their economy,and their country,or be flushed down the toilet with said above.This is just the tip of the iceberg for what we have in store as a country as long as people remain ignorant,oblivious to the complete propaghanda and manipulation of mainstream media and their cohorts.I don't give a rat's *** what they show you on cnn or foxnews it's censored to what is really going on in N.O.Research it,take an interest in your country,and your future.Our country is dissolving while we sit here.
  09-06-2005, 04:59 AM

Verified Member

hi, boy i'm glad the power is back on and we have internet and satellite service again. oh and lets not forget air conditioning. we were without power for about 6 days. i don't want another ham sandwich or can of viennas if i can help it for awhile. thank goodness my parents lived far enough north of us that they had power and we were able to get enough gas to get to their house midweek. there are alot of people a whole lot less fortunate than we were. we need to keep those devistated by katrina in our thoughts and prayers. thanks
  09-06-2005, 08:40 AM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Let's see, this is the worst hurricane in the last 80+ years. The Louisana state government as well as the local government of New Orleans has been warned repeatedly that the dikes could only handle a class 3 hurricane for 40 years. Clinton (8 years)and Bush Sr.(4 years) knew about this problem during both their presidencies and did nothing. I believe their more than enough blame to go around!

Frankly LS, we were fat and happy in the 1990s basically because we were robbing Peter to pay Paul or robbing our future to live comfortable and ignorant in the present now the past. Everyone likes to blame George Bush for everything, but its funny how many of the problems we have now could have been taken care of during the 1990s if Bubba would have had a little more strength of character to look forward to the future instead of looking for his zipper.

I hate both parties and really believe it is time for a third party, but it really get's me when Democrats seem to think that just because they are Democrats that they are superior. Read a history book, you'll find both parties have screwed The American people more times than you can count.

Anyway Sam, I'm glad your OK, I sat by a guy in a seminar I attended August 22-27 who was from Biloxi, MS. No one has heard from him, I hope he is OK too! Let me knows when you're ready to complete our trade.
  09-06-2005, 09:50 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 960 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to battle7
I think its just a matter of government in general, I mean when anyone else is in need of help, were there at the drop of a hat with open arms, but when it comes to our own there's no coordination efforts, right now there's something terribly wrong with the chain of command. Our forces are supposed to be ready for deployment for war within 24-48 hours, why can't it be the same for disasters of this magnitude. I heard the mayor of New Orleans radio brodcast on yahoo news, frankly he's pissed, (not pissed at
republicans/democrats), pissed in general that he can't get the resources from the government that he needs to save what people are left in New Orleans and I can't blame him, it upsets me as well.
  09-06-2005, 01:57 PM

Verified Member

hi, as i have watched the news reports on CNN this evening, here is my observation. 9/11 brought US together, ie political parties etc. and it seems that katrina is tearing US apart, ie the blame game between the politicans. i think we should always stay together and sing "God Bless America" at all times no matter what the situation. what happens in a football game when someone fumbles the ball, someone picks it up and runs with it no matter which team they are on. just my 2 cents. thanks
  09-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 1,453 posts since Jun 2005
Amen! oopps although I haven't been to church in two decades I might be considered a bible-thumper for saying that. I do agree that we need to pay closer attention to the politicians on both sides of the fence. Neither side really care about the regular guy or gal who just want to live their life to the best standard than they can.

Samuel , I hope the best to you, take care of yourself.