Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

10-03-2005, 03:12 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 227 posts since Jun 2005
Recently, a comment I made was edited, leaving a comment that [u]completely</u> changed the tone of my post. (I asked to have it completely removed, and it was taken care of by lordsmurf.)

There should be some sort of accountability when one of the moderators edit a post. There should be a note on the post that has been edited as to WHO edited it and for WHAT reason.

After this incident, I will be hesitant to post unless the moderators are held accountable. Now I'm wondering how I can trust [u]any</u> of the posts when they are so easily edited without the poster's knowledge and without explanation.
  10-03-2005, 04:54 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 1,189 posts since Apr 2005
Unless I'm mistaken, when LS or Mark edit a post, it includes a note that it was edited by them.

When I edit a post, it does not. This is because I'm setup as the admin of the board (or God as LS likes to call me).

Anyway, I'll always put a note in there stating what I edited and why, just as I did today when I removed the foul language that was present in one of the posts.

I think there is a feature that emails the post creator when a post is edited. I'm not sure, I'll have to check. I know it will email if it's deleted.
  10-03-2005, 06:12 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by allaboutduncan

Unless I'm mistaken, when LS or Mark edit a post, it includes a note that it was edited by them.
Nope. Didn't happen with my post.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by allaboutduncan

I think there is a feature that emails the post creator when a post is edited. I'm not sure, I'll have to check. I know it will email if it's deleted.
Nope. No email. It might possibly be that those that are moderators get the emails you've mentioned or that edited notations are visible to only other moderators. But to a lowly member such as myself, there was no indication that anyone had edited the post, as is the case when I've edited other posts I've made.

My comment was made under (since deleted by lordsmurf):
http://www.tvpreservation.com/cartoo...?TOPIC_ID=1801

My first sentence was left alone [u]without</u> the gist of my comment, completely changing the tone of my post. To someone reading my then [u]partial</u> post that was left alone, they would have seen only one sentence which [u]appeared</u> to have [u]never</u> been edited by either me or anyone else. The sentence was plain, with no notation of having been edited.

This makes me very nervous because now I'm wondering how many other posts have been edited without my knowledge. Unless I keep records for all of my posts, I would probably not even notice this had been happening.

I can understand that the moderators have the liberty to edit (for whatever reason), but editing without informing me by way of an email or actual notation under my post of the changes is not kosher. As I told lordsmurf, if my post needs editing, I would prefer it to be deleted altogether so that my comments aren't taken out of context, which is the reason for this complaint.
  10-03-2005, 07:07 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
At the time you saw it, things were still in motion. Slow motion at one point because my Internet was slow and things were not cooperating. The avatars are in fact still broken right now. Edits are rarely made to posts, and it's mentioned when done.

10-03-2005, 07:31 AM

So you're saying that it would be impossible for a moderator to edit a post without there be a notation to that affect eventually, and that I just saw my post BEFORE the notation slipped into place?

In that case, I apologize for jumping the gun on this one.