Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

12-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
You can't have the holidays without Hughes...
Home Alone
Planes, Trains and Automobiles...its part of the holidays.

so, here is a tribute to JH himself- with some of the best movies and best lines/clips

If someone were to ever write a book or article that tried to explain the 80s in depth, there would have to be an entire chapter or section devoted to John Hughes. I just don’t think it’s even possible to leave the guy out.
If there’s anyone who understood high school life and told the story of teenagers in that time period it was certainly Hughes. And not only just teenagers, life in general. The guy just had a penchant for culture in that time period.
After 1990? Well that’s a different subject. You’ve got Curly Sue, Home Alone and then Hughes just lost it (although Dutch was awesome). Drillbit Taylor? In any event, let’s not veer from the true subject which is his 80s genius.

10. Dutch

Personally I think this film is highly underrated. Anything with Ed O’Neill is awesome. Plus the hot sister from Kate and Allie is in this movie and she plays a hooker. You really can’t mess with that.
9. The Great Outdoors

I wasn’t as big a fan of this movie as I thought although it has to be in here. If you watch it as an adult it’s a little child like and not mature enough for me. Kid of a Disney movie if you ask me. Still though, the Ol’ 96er scene rules.
8. Some Kind of Wonderful

Craig Scheffer as Hardy Jenns with 2 N’s. Enough said.
7. Mr. Mom

I had no idea that Hughes wrote this movie but when you think about it, come on. It HAD to be Hughes. The scene in the strip club is amazingly disturbing. And how can one ever forget “Chariots of Fire” during the ridiculous race?
6. Uncle Buck

“Melanoma Head.”
5. Weird Science

If only to see Robert Downy Jr. in his youth. Classic flick. Hot girl. Good supporting actress girls. And come on now. Bill Paxton? Classic.
4. Vacation

Marty Moose, Marty Moose!
3. Sixteen Candles

I think movies 3, 2, and one can all be number 1’s. It’s tough to put them in order. The amount of memorable lines from these movies is endless.
2. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Yes it’s a classic but I’m not sure it’s as good as Breakfast Club. I feel like I can watch Breakfast Club 6 times in one day whereas Bueller only about 5.
1. The Breakfast Club

Eat. My. Shorts.
Notables that aren’t listed on here are Pretty in Pink, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, Planes Trains and Automobiles, and….. Drillbit Taylor? The only one of these I thought was decent was Christmas Vacation. Sorry about the other ones.