Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

03-22-2010, 11:15 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 324 posts since Nov 2009
here are the 2 that come to mind for me:

Albert Ingalls (Little House on the Prairie) ~ Albert was a murderer, peeping Tom, woman and child abuser, drug addict, liar, cheater and stealer. And he was a good guy. Yep. Or at least that's what Michael Landon wanted you to believe. When Charles moves his family temporarily to the big city, he finds Albert, a local youth who steals from the nearby stores. Charles decides that the best thing he can do in this circumstance is to just up and adopt the boy. What?! And not surprisingly, Albert turns out to be a little hellion, committing crimes at every opportunity.

-in one episode, he burns down the blind school, causing Mary (who has already endured alot in her young life, mainly going blind and having a miscarriage) to lose her baby, job and house all in one fell swoop, and also killing Alice Garvey. Then in the very next episode, he picks on Andy Garvey, who's mother he just killed, by punching him in the face after Albert mistakenly thinks he was hitting on a girl he was intersted in, which he really wasn't.
-then in another episode, Albert becomes a drug addict and lies and steals all over the place, then punches the female schoolteacher and a student.
-then in another episode, Albert whines when the new kid Charles adopted, James, causes a little bit of mischief, wishing Charles would have never adopted him. Even Charles has had enough of Albert's crap at this point and tells him "how do you think Laura and Carrie felt when you moved in with us." Oh, snap!

But yep, he was good guy

Daniel Larusso (karate kid movies)

-I tried really hard to like this kid. He's the bullied kid in a new town. But Daniel was just such a mouthy, unappreciative, rude little punk that, as time goes on, I couldn't help but think that he was just asking for the beatings he received. Daniel mouths off to everyone that tries to help him, his mother, his girlfriend, even sensai Mr. Myagi, who did a lot of nice things for him, such as give him a brand new really nice car, a sacred patch, taught him karate so he could defend himself, allowed him to tag along to Japan with him, saved him from beatings. Daniel also causes a car accident thanks to decision to hose his enemy with water, and throws away his bike when his mother obviously doesn't have alot of money to throw around.

it should be noted that posters on the imdb forums are VERY vocal about hating these characters.

any thoughts or do you have your own?
  03-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Verified Member

Stats: 2,781 posts since Aug 2005
Send a message via Yahoo to SavageAmusement
Okay the one who jumps to me is frm Nip Tuck-

They open the storyline with 2 men, (for those who haven't seen it)
that run/own a plastic surgery office-
One, Christian- is set up as a egomaniac, sex addict- shallow, rude, crude, insensitive - the list goes on- Only has his needs in mind-

The other- Sean - is the grounded, logical- married, good father- right-

As the show goes, Sean is weighed down by Christians behavior- by the mistakes, he has to clean up- and so on-
And very quickly, you begin to feel sorry for Sean, and loath Christian-

But if you watch inbetween the lines, Sean is really, more calculating, greedy, and barbaric.
Just in more muted tones, and your so busy feeling sorry for him, viewers excuse his behavior, his outbursts, his atitude- the pettiness and grudges he carries.

I could go on and on, don't wont t ruin the show by dissecting the dynamics between them- but Sean is the 'good guy" and really, quite honestly, just isn't.