Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

04-28-2010, 07:51 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 389 posts since Aug 2005
1906 San Francisco Street Car film - AMAZING

This film was "lost" for many years. It was the first 35mm film ever. It was taken by camera mounted on the front of a cable car.

The amount of automobiles is staggering for 1906. Absolutely amazing! The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there. (I'm wondering ... how many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick up after the horses? Talk about going green!)

Great historical film worth watching. Check out the steering wheel on the cars being on the right side like the horse and buggy driver also being on the right side. The women's long dresses and hats and the men's clothing and hats.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=NINOxRxze9k

This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot from New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!).. It was filmed only four days before the quake and shipped by train to NY for processing. Amazing but true!
  04-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 305 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via MSN to Joker
Interesting find Harvey!

A trip down Market Street. The original version of which can be downloaded at....www.archive.org...suffered badly from "Film Roll" at the beginning and end, this version however has had those faults corrected and shows alot more detail particularly at the end were the film froze and skipped frames.

That same journey down Market Street 100 years later ...

02-05-2012, 04:37 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
This is neat, and worth a bump!
  02-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 41 posts since Apr 2011
Woah. I love it when these things happen ^^.