Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

10-30-2005, 06:34 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 170 posts since Jun 2005
Question for techinal people.

We had a laptop stolen from my school. We also have this thingie called absolute track loaded that tracks where all our computers are. So even though the computer was formated we can still see it (via its IP address -- which btw is outside our network).

My question is --- Should an ISP be able to tell what physical address the computer is located via IP & the nic's mac address (which we have as well)?
  10-30-2005, 06:44 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
Each router or switch at the ISP knows which MAC addresse are on it, but getting that information out can sometimes be a pain. If they are using a good DHCP server, when they give out addresses, they should be automatically registering/storing the MAC address with the IP address given - and be able to report on them. Products like Lucent's VitalQIP does this automatically - nowdays they have to provide that level of information for audit and security purposes.

But not to dash your hopes, most NICs today allow you to reset the MAC address (overriding the built-in one). I've done this a bunch for software that only operates on a specific machine based on MAC addr.
  10-30-2005, 08:56 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
if its wireless card gets online wireless and they are like on top of a building somewhere, how can you tell where they are regardless? I don't see how its possible?
  10-30-2005, 09:06 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 584 posts since Jun 2005
Without the extra tracking equipment (like the carriers and certain gov't agencies have), you can only narrow wireless down to the cell site (if you're talking 3G/EVDO or CDPD) or Access Gateway/router if using WiFi (802.11a/b/g).
  10-30-2005, 11:49 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
Also, you won't be able to track it via IP address anyway. If they format the drive, or just change the TCP/IP settings, the IP address you have on file is no good. And as Padre stated, you can change the MAC address of your card as well.
  11-05-2005, 02:01 PM

Verified Member

Stats: 170 posts since Jun 2005
I contacted, the ISP of the IP we were receiving from the missing machine. They have a home address that is catching that IP (pinged it the other day & it was still active -- they have the laptop plugged straight into their high speed modem -- according to the ISP) & the ISP people just need the RCMP (police) to do some paperwork to release the home address.

Looks like I may get my laptop back. :-) after all.