Go Back   TVPast Forums > Local TV Channels > The Coffee Clutch: TV Talk and News

04-29-2006, 01:22 AM

Member Removed / Locked / Why?

Stats: 744 posts since Jun 2005
I have bazillion digital photos I've taken over the past few years. I'm wondering whut everyone believes is the best way to store them? I have over half of them burned to dvd-rs and all of them currently on an external 300gb hard drive... Maybe there is something better? Thanks!
  04-29-2006, 06:55 AM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
I store all my photos on CD-R, DVD-R and on my external 12GB USB1 hard drive. The important thing to remember is to delete photos that suck, such as out of focus images, or accidents. No need to keep them all.

Another problem is consumers buy those ridiculous 10MP+ P&S cameras, when all they really need is 4MP (in fact, less MP may even look better), so shoot on a lower setting in that range. All that high MP P&S images do is take up hard drive space, gluttons, and take forever to load into photo software. Most of my images are 2-4MB each, from a professional 3MP camera.

That can change if you crop a lot, but if you tend to shoot the frame you want in the camera, all those extra pixels do nothing. In fact, too many MP can actually make an image look worse, more noise from the CCD.

That does not help with what you've got now, but may help in the future, if storage is a concern. For now, just buy a 200-disc wallet and stick DVD-R or DVD+R full of images in there. Or a spindle. Only do the wallet if you plan to rarely access the discs.

04-29-2006, 12:55 PM

I was just curious if its kool to just put them on dvdr... thats about it Because you know the stories about how media starts degrading after years.. blah blah. Just wondering how others do it

04-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Site Staff – Forum Moderator

Arcade Wins: Asteroids Champion Minigolf Champion People on Fire Champion
Stats: 9,761 posts since May 2005
DVD media degrading is mostly fairy tale more than anything else.
  04-29-2006, 01:44 PM

I figured.. I have a muzik cd I burned when I got my first cd burner ever... Back in about 1996. I still have the cd, haha. It's quite funny. But, it plays and its fine.. So, I really haven't ever worried about media degrading on me. But ya know, just curious how others do
  05-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Verified Member

Stats: 4,864 posts since Jun 2005
Send a message via Skype™ to wayshway
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by onlyemokid

I was just curious if its kool to just put them on dvdr... thats about it Because you know the stories about how media starts degrading after years.. blah blah. Just wondering how others do it

I put my stuff on DVD-R
  05-02-2006, 05:54 AM

Verified Member

Stats: 969 posts since Jun 2005
I store mine on DVD-R, DLT and also keep them all on my Server which is Raid 5. As of now I only have 20 gigs of Digital Pictures, but that increases everyday.